The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gender Misconceptions

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Y'know, looking at this thread kind of intrigues me in consideration to how we look at gender, their roles, and how we view feminine vs masculine traits, or both, or neither.

I knew people who thought Rinkus was a woman, but his voice came off as masculine to me, as I have heard similar voices before in shows like "Pinky and the Brain" and even with Ozzy and Strut within the same series.

In the past I thought Terk and Shenzi were guys, mostly because the majority of females I saw in other media would have traits to distinguish themselves from the guys by having curves, softer features, and paler colorations.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
It was pretty much just the Blanket from The Brave Little Toaster that I thought was...feminine. It's supposed to be like a little boy, though.

I have a bit of gender confusion of my own right now. The Doctor Who audio play "Dark Eyes" has a Dalek that wanders around loose from its shell, named Thelos. They never use any pronouns with it, but I really, really want to slap a pronoun on it. My confusion comes from the voice, since it's neither masculine nor feminine.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't think Rinkus was a girl, since his voice was masculine to me, but I thought his name was Sierra because it was a feminine name and he was, well, pink. It blew my mind when I found out it was the other way around. I also briefly thought that Littlefoot was a girl as well.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
After rewatching LBT series (up to 12 so far) over the past week, I really started to think about how the artists distinguished male from female characters; and what I love about it is it's never consistent. Some characters have bigger eyes, eyelashes, or even bigger faces, while others have the exact opposite and yet are also female, but represented in different ways. I haven't pinned down the exact method yet, but it's so interesting to see how little the dinosaurs are stereotyped.