The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is it about this movie?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Seriously, there is nothing terribly original about this film, it would be asy to make a similar movie without facing lawsuits concerning the copyright laws, and it doesn't even have the best animation, yet we still all adore it and its rightfully endured for almost 20 years now. So what do you find so great about the original film that keeps you putting it back into the VCR or DVD Player?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Good question, and one to which I don't suppose we will get a one and only definite answer. The land before time and some of the sequels make me sad. Strange as it is I think this sadness did a good deal to make me an LBT fan. However, there are other movies with a similar effect to me (Lion King for example) which didn't leave nearly as much of an imprint on me. No lasting effect so to speak.
Maybe it is partly the dinosaur factor. Most of us will find dinosaurs more fascinating than species you can see walking around in real life. Then there is the fact that there are so many sequels to LBT. I know that some of you say that it is the original movie only you care about. I don't quite believe those who say so ;)
The aspect that the story is going on certainly is of major importance to me. I will admit that I doubt the original movie of its own could have kept me so long and so extremely. Also, without the sequels we would soon be running out of topics to talk about. All these factors may contribute to "what it is about this movie". They  certainly don't provide a full explanation. Also I suppose if there was such an explanation it might look very individual for every single one of us.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
This is a very subjective matter. It's all down to the individual and you could post this question to anyone about anything. Why do some people like the PS2 but hate the Gamecube? What do certain people find likable about LOTR when others cant see it the same way? It's all down to the person's own decision.

There is obviously something appealing about LBT that makes us enjoy watching it. For me, I love the story, characters and animation style all represented onscreen. Others are liable not to see it the same appealing factors as I do but that's down to them. Each to their own :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know its a subjective matter. I'm just curious to see what everyone's answers are.  :D I know they'll all be different and interesting in their own ways.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ Would help if you put your two cents in too, WR.  ;)

Me, well, I really don't know why I watched this film as often as I did, but I think I can make one distinctive reason why LBT grew on me as such.  It's technology.  If you go back to 1989 or so, VHS is still pretty darn new and expensive...tapes go for about $21.99, so this isn't cheap by any means, and I think the first VHS my parents ever bought was actually Disney's Bambi.  :P:  LBT must've followed soon after, and I think it had to be the dinosaurs was the reason it was purchased.

Of course come 1994 the sequels came along, and that kept the liking of the dinos going, but other sources took center stage--Dinotopia (was only a book at that time), and later, Jurassic Park (didn't watch the first film till about 1997).

So really why does LBT stick with me?  It really comes down to the fact dinosaurs stuck around with me.  Had there not been something else dealing with dinosaurs that had come along after the original film I wouldn't be here.  I'd have the original film for nostalgic factors, and that would be the end of it.  What I like the most about the original is the music.  Like others have said, the plot once you look at it, is very simple, and it didn't need to be utterly complex, but that music is a total 180--it is complex and one of a kind.  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I had to think about this one for quite some time.  It wasn't immediately clear to me why I still have a strong liking towards the series, and the original film.

First and foremost, I must say, I've fallen in love with the characters, and I find it very interesting to watch how they evolve.  This maturation is clearly shown in the original film, from hatching and being taught the segregation is a fact of life, to working together with all sorts of dinosaurs to accomplish a common goal.

There is a wide variety of emotions found in the plot, none of which seemed forced into the film or onto the audience.
 Taking a look at the movie, we see a natural flow of emotion, starting with the meeting of new friends (Littlefoot and Cera), and the different attitudes regarding being friends, to the instant common ground they share when Sharptooth arrives to do them in.  They are instantly forced to work together to survive.  
There is then the feelings of loss and sorrow when Littlefoot's mother is killed.  A renewed feeling of life is brought on by the meeting of Cera and later Ducky.  As the gang works together more and more, elements of a certain kind of love emerge between them, to protect each other and to make it through, together.  The joy at the end of the film is a representation of this success.
The show of emotions in this film is truly amazing.

Of course I need to mention this :lol but the music found throughout the film is fantastic.  From the opening titles, the music captivates the audience similar to the effect of music on some Disney classics as Fantasia.  James Horner (the composer of the Land Before Time musical score) an incredible job in bringing the film to life.  I must admit, I'm not sure I would have loved the film so much if there wasn't the masterful work of Horner present.  The music tends to carry the film nearly as much as the dialogue, and I respect that.  The music also enhances the emotions of many scenes.  For example, the relaxed, yet oddly uneasy feeling when Littlefoot and Ducky are walking shortly after they meet, or pure, warm feelin when Littllefoot and his mother see each other for the first time.  Just amazing work all around! B)

As for what keeps me coming back, as opposed to other very good animated films, it is a combination of the unique characters and the fact that it is part of a long-running series.  The existance of the LBT series certainly helped hold my interest, as the other films help add depth to the characters, places, and stories.  I always found it interesting to see what else the storytellers would come up with.

I still find that LBT 2 is my most-watched sequel, not because it's been around the longest (well, that too :p) but because it seems to have a very strong connection to the original film and its character styles.  It felt like an extension of the original in a way.  The later sequels almost seem to drift into their own series in my mind.  Anyways, I'd better stop, as I'm getting a little off-topic!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
All great and informative replies, everyone.

I have to say that what originally attracted me to the first film was the fact that I've always been a dinosaur fanatic. Have been from day one, still am, and always will be.

There were several things in the first movie that struck a chord in my when I first watched it. The fact that the characters were living in a dying invironment, the death of Littlefoot's mother, the fact that five children were all on their own to survive and had to overcome the "racial" barriers that the different species had put up in order to survive, and the characters were great! They're loveable, well-rounded characters, and all this in a flm that's actually alittle shorter than the usual fair in children's movies. And the climax at the end when you briefly think that Petrie is dead has always haunted me. Littlefoot's interactions with his mother: Gold. The unveiling of the valley from the cloud cover at the end: pure cinematic genius. The ending narration speech, Diana Riggs' song at the end, and James Horner's great score.
Also, the artwork for the backgrounds is beauitful. Now, I said that the animation is't the best that I've ever seen. It isn't, but the backgrounds are sure great.
The entire movie just mixed together perfetly and its something that's really held up well over the decades, with or without the sequels.

My attraction to the sequels: Well, I was 8 years old, and had already been a "Land Before Time" hardcore fan for years, and the sequels, while not as good as the original, were good enough.

"The Land Before Time", as a series, just has a very quaint charm, as well.

I'm not entirely sure of what keeps me going back to it, but I've told you some of it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Diana Riggs' song at the end

Whose song?  :slap  Try Diana Ross.  ;)