The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

GOF Sing-along: If We Hold On Together

Mumbling · 57 · 14729

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

No real thoughts on the subject, no. My interest in and knowledge of music is... limited, so I feel like I wouldn't be the right person to make any comment on that :P

Eh...I don't think I have any knowledge on the intricacies of music, but you can notice things that bother or appeal to you just by listening attentively to the song, multiple times maybe, and compare it to different versions of it to get the gist of it. Many variables can affect your overall experience on what you listen to, such as quality, vocals, instruments, pacing, tone, and whatnot. And depending on how those elements are executed, it could lead to a wonderful, unsatisfactory, or disasterous outcome.

So, when I listened to Tim's composition, it was very underwhelming by itself, and especially when I compare it to the instrumental I've been listening to for awhile. So yeah, I have already expressed the reasons why I felt that way in my initial post, so no need to repeat it here. Once again, I'm no expert on music and everything I've said here is my opinion. This conversation turned out to be longer than I previously thought, hehe. :)

Edit: I did another listen of the song, turns out it's not underwhelming, but a bit of the opposite problem actually. Like I said already with the instruments, too much going on at once. But despite that, I actually really liked it. I now felt the emotion that was seemingly lacking the first time around. Hmm. So yeah, probably because I didn't listen to it at a high enough volume. Now I could hear everything much more clearly. But everything else I said still stands, and it's still not my cup of tea.

And yep, the old adage is true that the more you listen to something, the more you grow to like it.

Can't say I agree, given I had no trouble listening to this, or mixing my own recording of the song.  I think Tim did fine, given he had to do it by ear to get it right.  I get not everyone will agree but its totally usable for what we're doing here as a community.  :yes

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile

No real thoughts on the subject, no. My interest in and knowledge of music is... limited, so I feel like I wouldn't be the right person to make any comment on that :P

Eh...I don't think I have any knowledge on the intricacies of music, but you can notice things that bother or appeal to you just by listening attentively to the song, multiple times maybe, and compare it to different versions of it to get the gist of it. Many variables can affect your overall experience on what you listen to, such as quality, vocals, instruments, pacing, tone, and whatnot. And depending on how those elements are executed, it could lead to a wonderful, unsatisfactory, or disasterous outcome.

So, when I listened to Tim's composition, it was very underwhelming by itself, and especially when I compare it to the instrumental I've been listening to for awhile. So yeah, I have already expressed the reasons why I felt that way in my initial post, so no need to repeat it here. Once again, I'm no expert on music and everything I've said here is my opinion. This conversation turned out to be longer than I previously thought, hehe. :)

Edit: I did another listen of the song, turns out it's not underwhelming, but a bit of the opposite problem actually. Like I said already with the instruments, too much going on at once. But despite that, I actually really liked it. I now felt the emotion that was seemingly lacking the first time around. Hmm. So yeah, probably because I didn't listen to it at a high enough volume. Now I could hear everything much more clearly. But everything else I said still stands, and it's still not my cup of tea.

And yep, the old adage is true that the more you listen to something, the more you grow to like it.

Can't say I agree, given I had no trouble listening to this, or mixing my own recording of the song.  I think Tim did fine, given he had to do it by ear to get it right.  I get not everyone will agree but its totally usable for what we're doing here as a community.  :yes

I agree, I think Tim’s arrangement was very beautiful! I didn’t have any trouble recording with it, but I can understand it can be harder for others. If you ever need help with the music, let me know! I’ve developed my ear over the years of being a vocalist, so I can help you match up to the right timing!  :yum
8 years with TGOF :yum

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I must admit, my initial evaluation of Tim's composition was a bit rash and abrupt, so it probably affected the way I first viewed it. Also, combined with the fact that I had a bit of favoritism for another instrumental I loved very much made me judge it more as a comparison rather than a standalone piece. But with all that said, I really did enjoy listening to it. ^_^

So yeah, let it be a lesson to everyone to keep your bias in check and have an objective mind when judging basically anything the first time around. :yes

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I must admit, my initial evaluation of Tim's composition was a bit rash and abrupt, so it probably affected the way I first viewed it. Also, combined with the fact that I had a bit of favoritism for another instrumental I loved very much made me judge it more as a comparison rather than a standalone piece. But with all that said, I really did enjoy listening to it. ^_^

So yeah, let it be a lesson to everyone to keep your bias in check and have an objective mind when judging basically anything the first time around. :yes

We’ve all been there!! Don’t worry!!
I think we can all say that we are excited for the outcome of this project!!  :PAli

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I managed to dig my old Blue Snowball microphone out and it still works so I don't mind giving it a shot since its quality is miles above my desktop mic.

My singing voice is not the best, but I hope it'll suffice. I'll probably record tomorrow since it's dead at night where I am now.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Alright, I've made my submission! There're a few hiccups, but I hope it isn't too bad! :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks Owls! Sounds great so far :D I'm gonna have to find a way to give us all some showtime, haha.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Hey! Sorry I've been so abominably late on this, I'll try to get the recording done tomorrow :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
I'm at college now...so I won't be able to do a recording  :(petrie

I do look forward to seeing what y'all come up with though!  :)

(maybe i'll join another recording someday...or maybe i won't  :lol)
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

It's been a couple of months, but I've been feeling project-y this weekend and I don't think there will be any more submissions... So without further ado, I present to you: If We Hold On Together, 2020 edition! OK, all of you sang it back in 2019, but this year sounds nicer ;)

Link to the song in .wav format on Google Drive

I have also attached the song in .mp3 format to this post.

We had 10 vocalists this time around:
@Belmont2500
@bestariana1girl
@DarkWolf91
@DiddyKF1
@Flathead770
@LeventeII
@Mumbling
@Nimrod
@OwlsCantRead
@Petrie

Thanks to all of you for your contributions! I hope you can hear yourself in the song, as there were many voices to play around with.

As a token for your contribution, please feel free to add the following banner to your signature.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:26:09 AM by Mumbling »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was exhausted earlier and downloaded the .wav instead of the .mp3 because I was too tired to log in via mobile. Really should have expected that file size difference. :opetrie

But I really like the how the end result sounds, Mumbling! Of everyone, I was able to make out my own voice, as well as Diddy's (because he literally sang in a Petrie tenor), but I'm abashed to admit that I have trouble putting my finger on whose voice was used at which specific lyric when it came to everyone else, ended up abit murky for me because I never really heard many of you folks sing before. Y'all still sang great, though. :p

Still, the song was mixed well! This is a great cover of If We Hold On Together, amazing job everyone! :duckyhappy

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just posting who sang what according to the spreadsheet that Iris sent out.

[Darkwolf, Flathead770]                                                                                                                                             Don't Lose your way, with each passing day;
[Darkwolf], Flathead770, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, OwlsCantRead]                                                                     You've come so far, don't throw it away.
[Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, OwlsCantRead, Petrie]                                                                       Live believing,
[Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Petrie]                                                                                                               Dreams are for weaving,
[Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Petrie]                                                                                                               Wonders are waiting to start;
[Flathead770, Mumbling, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                       Live your story. Faith, hope & glory,
[Flathead770, Mumbling, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                       Hold to the truth in your heart.

[Darkwolf, Mumbling, Bestariana1girl]                                                                                                                         If we hold on together,
[Darkwolf, Mumbling, Bestariana1girl]                                                                                                                         I know our dreams will never die;
[Darkwolf, Bestariana1girl]                                                                                                                                          Dreams see us through to forever,
[Darkwolf, Mumbling]                                                                                                                                                   Where clouds roll by,
[Darkwolf, Mumbling, Bestariana1girl]                                                                                                                         For you and I.

[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Nimrod, Belmont, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                                        Souls in the wind, must learn how to bend;
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Belmont, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                     Seek out a star, hold on to the end.
[Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie]                                                                                            Valley, mountain, there is a fountain,
[Flathead770, Mumbling, Petrie, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                       Washes are tears all away;
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                             Words are swaying,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie]                                                                                                       Someone is praying,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, Petrie]                                                                                                         Please let us come home to stay.

[DiddyKF1, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                                             If we hold on together,
[DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                                I know our dreams will never die;
[DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                                Dreams see us through to forever,
[Flathead770, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                     Where clouds roll by,
[Flathead770, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                           For you and I.

[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Nimrod]                                                                                                                                 When we are out there in the dark,
[Flathead770, Mumbling, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]                                                            We'll dream about the sun;
[Mumbling, Belmont, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                                               In the dark we'll feel the light,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, DiddyKF1, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                                                        Warm our hearts, everyone.

[Darkwolf, Flathead770, DiddyKF1, Belmont, LeventeII]                                                                                              If we hold on
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Belmont, LeventeII]                                                                    Together,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Mumbling, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont]                                                       I know our dreams will never die;
[Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                                   Dreams see us through to forever,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, OwlsCantRead]                                              As high, as souls can fly,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, OwlsCantRead]                                   The clouds roll by,
[Darkwolf, Flathead770, Mumbling, Bestariana1girl, DiddyKF1, Nimrod, Belmont, Petrie, LeventeII, OwlsCantRead]  For you and I.

[EDIT] OK, now I've listened to it. Overall I'd say it's pretty darn good, even if it can feel a little chaotic with all those people singing :p Good job putting this together Iris!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 06:16:56 PM by Flathead770 »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh my gosh! Everyone sounds like they had so much fun! I’m so grateful that we all got to sing together! This brought so much joy to my heart while listening. Wonderful job, everybody!!!! <3

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Aww, this turned out absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad I got to participate, thank you for organizing this and putting it all together Mumbling :D