The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My 4K Desktop Plans

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, this has been coming for me.  My Desktop still works, but I've been looking to upgrade it for some time.  Especially with the fact that, for some odd reason, I can't upgrade it to Windows 10.  I'm still stuck on Windows 7 with it.

So, here's my plans for a custom-made desktop in the future.

- Windows 10
- Case: Have limited space to work with here.  I can't make it too big.  However, if I make it too small, it won't fit everything.  I'll have to work with this one carefully.
- 5 TB Hard Drive: I bought this some time ago and never used it.  May as well put it to use here.
- Biggest External Hard Drive I can get my hands on: Got to have a back up, right?  Well, I plan to get a big one in the end just in case.

From here, the following must be able to run 4K.

-Motherboard
-Graphics Card
-CPU
-RAM
-Monitor (Might just get a 4K TV and connect the Desktop to it.)
-4K Disc Player

After that, I need some fans to keep it cool enough.

Finally, I need a PSU that can run all of that.

I've already got the Keyboard and mouse covered, so don't worry about that.

Now, as for budget, don't worry too much.  There's some stuff I'm going to sell anyways.  However, if I want to avoid that, I'm looking at $500 here. (Will still sell stuff to make space.)

So those are the plans and if you can help me out, I'd very much appreciate that.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

See ya later! :wave
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:18:53 AM by pokeplayer984 »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
...can 500 dollars really afford all that?

I'm no expert in hardcore PCs (my friend offered to build me one and I turned him down) but I can definitely add that cooling is essential with this build. Maybe look into a water cooler?
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Well first off, remember that I plan to spend more if necessary.  Second, is that the real trick to pulling it off is to go Used when it comes to the parts.  Believe it or not, if you go used, you can get stuff that works very well for very little.  It can be done.  I've actually seen one done like this.

Maybe I'll copy the one I was inspired by maybe not.  We shall see.