The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gang Of Five - Top Trumps

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
[align=center]Welcome to what might very well be my biggest fanart project so far. :)

The title pretty much says it already, so without a lot of blabbering, here it is:

Also, I made a test print already, for me to figure some stuff out that can be improved, but here it is anyway:

[/align]

And now that the stuff to look at is out of the way ( xD ) I can start talking now.

The things you can see on the card:

Categories
The different categories like size, speed, etc, pretty much explain themselves, the usual top trumps stuff.
Every category can go up to 100 maximum, except size which is what I believe fits to the character if it's not absolutely clear.
There might be some cards that are better than other cards, but my goal is that even the weakest one will have a way to beat the strongest one.

The Treestar Symbol
That one right next to the name. It indicates what the character eats. There will be herbivore, carnivore and omnivore, and it can used to beat other cards as well. When the whole set of cards is done, I'll make a guide to explain how that one works in a better way.
The symbol can also be seen behind the categories, it'll make the cards a little bit different. Carnivores will get a bone instead of the treestar and omnivores will get treestar+bone together

Two trees and a Hill symbol
This is about the habitat, there will be land, water and sky. water will be blue with some underwater plants and sky will be a different blue with some clouds. It also can be used in the game but as I said, the guide will explain that one.
The habitat also shows in the general color of the card. Green for land, and then different shades of blue for sky or water.

How big will the whole set be?

28 different cards. Jup, that is quite a lot, so I'll take my time on this thing. I'm only one person after all and cloning isn't an option, sadly. :D
With that amount of cards, two and four people can play at the same time.
But I will finish it, no matter how long it takes.

But here's a point where I can use the help of everyone in here. :)
I made a list of characters that will be in this set no matter what, but there are still 10 characters missing.

So if you know any LBT character you want in this game and who isn't on the list below, write it down as a comment.

The list contains (ticks mean the card is already finished):
Littlefoot ✓
Ducky ✓
Cera ✓
Spike ✓
Petrie ✓
Ruby ✓
Chomper ✓
Sharptooth (original movie) ✓
Littlefoot's Mother ✓
Littlefoots Grandparents (on one card together)
Ali ✓
Topsy ✓
Bron ✓
Shorty ✓
Pterano ✓
Mo ✓
Redclaw
Screech/Thud (on one card together)
Doc ✓

Just keep in mind that the character you choose should have at least some influence to the story.
Once I finished all the cards listed above, I'll make a poll including all the characters you guys suggested, and the top 10 will make it to the game.
Of course, if there will only be 10 characters total, a poll won't be necessary.
To keep it fair, you only can name up to two characters in your comment.

Suggestions already received:

Dil/Ichy (one card)
Ozzy/Strut (one card) ✓
Ruby's Parents (one card)
Rinkus/Sierra (one card)✓
Chomper's Parents (one card)
Rainbowfaces
Yellowbellies

Last but not least:

Once the set is all done (and once I figured out the best way to print it), I'll give out a pdf file, or maybe two pdf files, so that you can print them and play the game yourself.
I think I might be able to finish the set in May, but that might be totally not the case. We will see about that, I don't wanna rush myself here.

Sooo - I guess that's all there is to say for now.

...well...

Probably not. xD

So if anything isn't clear, let me know and I'll answer that as well.
RockingScorpion

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Awesome! Such a neat idea!
Well, since the line-up seems a little tilted in favor of herbivores, I guess I'll suggest some omnivores/carnivores. How about Dil and Ichy(one card) and Ozzy and Strut(one card)?

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
This is brilliant! :)littlefoot
I wish you all the best of luck in this endeavour.
The characters I would recommend are the parents of the main cast (Ruby's parents could be on the same card), I would also recommend Rinkus and Sierra.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is an awesome idea, Scorpion!

For suggestions, all I can think of at the moment is Chomper's Parents (Both together on one card)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Idea is awesome!
And design is beautiful! good job :D

Funny, sometimes I imagine LBT as similar game.  

Sharptooth (original movie)
ha ha ha

I always give him characteristics like this:

size: 90
speed: 60
attack: 90 (200 in Demented Fury state)
danger: 100
intelligence: 80 (10 in Demented Fury state)
health: 100 (immune to any physical attacks)
leaps: 90 (200 in Demented Fury state)
sight range: 75 (can observe only one side due to damage eye)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the feedback, guys, I didn't expect that much of it :)

Good suggestions there, Darkwolf, and yeah, this can use some villains  :)littlefoot

Some stats you gave him are pretty close to what I have in mind for him, Snik.
But this also tells me I should make something clear, and that would be size.

The only reason this category is different from the others is because there can be (and is) some actual science behind it: we know how big the dinosaurs in the movie were, and I'll use that as a reference. It is in the metric system though, because that's the only one I understand. So yeah, Littlefoot might be about 4 meters, and the next character might be about 0,6 meters. Which one? Well...

[align=center][/align]

There's one downside though, I saved the Ducky file in a way that it can't be worked on again (for the ones who know about that stuff, I accidentally rasterized the vector and then saved it, which is bad lol.)
It had a pretty decent size though and was still good enough for the card but it is a bummer. I'm going to continue on new pictures for now, but at some point I'll recreate that Ducky. The shading effects are all applied already, so it's just pure tracing, but it still is some work.

I just don't like this at all, that's why I'll recreate it. xD

RS

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, how about the Rainbowfaces or (don't hate me...) THE YELLOWBELLIES!!! ?  :p
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yellowbellies, aww yiss. Best card of the whole game. :D

Another one got finished today:

[align=center][/align]

Two more and the original gang will be finished. :)littlefoot  
Might do that next week, we'll see. :)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Bossy Cera. Nice!

shiny
lol
I think they all are pretty shiny
 :smile
6/14
0/26

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: Snik,Feb 22 2016 on  10:25 AM

lol
I think they all are pretty shiny
 :smile
Well I like seeing my favourite character all shiny.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This is a great idea and seems more then just you are having fun with it.    :DD  :wow

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
nice and shiny
all are pretty shiny
seeing my favourite character all shiny

Well...

Perks of working nondestructive: Messing around with the colors can be done with very little effort. :D

And thanks for all the comments.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
:D :D

You need to hide those statues in the deep of game. It will be secret prize to those who keeps searching no matter what (as Littlefoot and gang searched for Great Valley)

:)littlefoot

(hmm, does Ducky have addiction to gold more than to sky color stones?..)
6/14
0/26

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good one again!  :smile
Inactive, probably forever.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Holy crap, okay that's brilliant!

An LBT CARD GAME! Geez, I love it!  :)littlefoot  :DD  :lol:  :D

I almost missed this because it was under Fanart! Is this actually a playable card game? Do you have rules or do you plan on having a Print and Play release up somewhere so we can make our own to play? That would be great!

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
The rules are explained in the start post, but the basic idea is a top trumps, so higher value beats lower value, pretty simple.

And yeah, once all the cards are done, I'll release a pdf file so everyone can print these out, together with some small guide to explain the not-so-obvious stuff about the cards. ;)

I think the whole set should be done somewhere between April and May, if nothing gets in the way.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's fantastic!

I've dabbled with making board games in the past and I do have one question for you if I may:

How on Earth did you cut out your cards so precisely? I have a paper cutter but I don't own a corner rounding tool. Did you use such tools? The cuts look PERFECT! It's impressive, especially for a prototype.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I could've done a better job with the cutouts, but then again I'm a perfectionist.^^

I used a paper cutter together with a ruler for the straight parts and small scissors for the round corners. For the final version I'm going to use one of these though, they have one at my photography school and they get you the best results possible.