The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ducky123's fanart :)

Ducky123 · 472 · 57394

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nice recent additions, Ducky. :) I have to say, I know where you're coming from though. I'm not a good artist, and need a visual reference at all times whenever I attempt to draw something, but you make me look like a no-talent 4th grader with your work. XD Your drawings are rather good. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice Strut :DD

Thank you, too, Pterano :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Right... this thread has been gathering dust for almost half a year  :oops I haven't ceased drawing of course, I just lost motivation for a while and then I never got around to colour the stuff whenever I DID feel like drawing stuff... which has now changed. I have yet to scan those pictures though so this post only works as an announcement :angel
I hope that the feedback will keep my motivation high for a long time this time... the long breaks I have had were really preventing me from becoming a better artist...

Expect my update in the next few days... :wave

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Or ten days... :lol

Well, finally I have about six or seven pieces of artwork that I can show you. I will upload one per week so that I can keep a sort of schedule for some time (I won't settle on a set day since I'm not going to keep these out of experience...). Besides, it is much easier for the reviewer to focus on just one picture ;)

My first picture should look familiar if you know me :smile

And here comes the coloured picture:

Thought I'd do a remake of my first piece of art ever since I made that photo with my phone instead of scanning it :bang Well, slightly edited on photobucket to make the colours a little brighter :)
What do you think?

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I like it, you managed to get her face pretty spot on  :) Looking forward to seeing what other pictures you put up!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad you liked it, Luke! Next one:

sketch:

coloured:

A lovely scene :smile Does anybody recall where it's from?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ Ah, very nice. :yes  This is a recreation of a scene from the eight film, I think.  :unsure: Where both Ducky and Petrie are sliding on ice.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Soo, like I said, my small review of your latest update. I hope it's somewhat useful for you. First, this.

And now to explain the colors:

Red: I'd try and make corners like that a bit smoother. It looks more natural that way. ;)

Yellow: It can happen that if you draw something while using a reference, that some things don't turn out exactly like they should. If that happens, some other parts might need some correction, too. In this case I think Ducky's tail should be seen between her legs.

Also I think the stomach outlines should be above the leg outlines. Perspective and stuff.^^

Blue: This outline is visibly thicker than some other outline parts. It tends to look better if the outlines all have the same thickness.

Violet: If you're not shading your drawings, the outlines look better without different shades of black.

Soo...that's it. I hope it is somewhat helpful and not confusing in any ways. You can always ask if that's the case though. :)

There were more places I could've circled, but I think you'll see them yourself. They all go into one of the categories above.

Oh, and one thing, but that's optional: Parts that use solid black/white like the eyes can be colored digitally, if you know how and want to. It improves drawings a lot, since I discovered it, I always do this with my pictures. ;)

Aaaand..let's see...now we're done. And like I said, you can always ask if you have something to ask. ;)

One last info: Everything I know and learned about drawing comes from one year of learning under a professional. He was a nice guy but he drilled us to make our stuff as perfect as possible. If you draw for fun, that is pointless (if you dislike it, that is). If you draw for yourself, you can always consider critics, but if you want to get better, do it at your own pace.

RockingScorpion :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
rhombus: Yes, that is the scene :yes As I said, the "slipping on ice" scene is pretty funny if you ask me and the expressions of the two are just hillarious. At least in my view :)

RS: Thanks for your elaborated and detailed review :)

Red: Well, that rough knee there is also seen on the screenshot I used  :unsure: Though I agree, it would probably look better. After all, girls and women are said to have smoother knees than boys and men.

Yellow: I don't know if you are right here. Taking a look at the screenshot, you might notice that Ducky's upper body parts and her arms are leaning forward while her tail is doing the very opposite to prevent losing her footing on the slippery ice (I hope you get what I mean, not sure how to describe it...) Since her whole body is in danger of crashing into the ice facefirst, her tail is pointing upward to balance her. It would be more or less dragged across the ice if it was positioned in a way you indicated... I'm not sure if the points I made are valid or yours but, either way, thanks for pointing out... Maybe the animators messed something up here?   :unsure:

Regarding the other point: Yeah, you're right. Again, I was following the way the animators constructed Ducky's body. In the screenshot, it's even more extreme. My only explanation for this, might be that this little bit of yellow actually already belongs to the swimmer's tail...

Blue: Yes, got to be more careful when I'm strengthening the sketched lines with a black pencil :smile

Violet: Well, I don't do it on purpose :angel I try to have the colours as even as possible but it doesn't always work...

I have already figured that my black pencil is not strong enough... the next few pictures, I'll try a B4 (or a B6) pencil... Now if that doesn't create an acceptable tone of black, I might have to do it digitally though I'm rather against that to be honest.
The next few pictures that I will upload will probably have similar faults...

Thanks for your efforts. It's much appreciated, yep, yep, yep ;)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I should explain some things a bit better here. :D

Your outlines are pretty much spot-on, just a little more smooth (really just a little) around the corners should do the trick. ;)

About the tail thing: You actually said what I failed to say. xD
My only explanation for this, might be that this little bit of yellow actually already belongs to the swimmer's tail...

That's what I meant what seems to be missing in your drawing. If you compare the screenshot with your drawing, you can see that..ermm...find the right words for that..the outline between her legs should be a little bit more downwards, the way it is like in the screenshot. That way it looks more like it is connected to the tail. If this wasn't 100% clear, I'm going to send you a pm. xD

B6 should do the trick, when you look at the actual drawing. But I experienced it often enough that when something is scanned or photographed, that spots that look solid black on paper don't seem that way when digitalized.

I can see why you're against any digital manipulation, but see it like this: With it you can get the digital version closer to the actual thing, which isn't bad at all. Of course, overdoing it is pointless, but with some small changes you can improve a scan of something a lot.

You'd be surprised how much stuff I do on all my drawings in digital postproduction. The trick is to do it in a way that it isn't seen right away. ;)

But of course it's not necessary, not at all. :)

I'm gonna catch some Zs now...I need it. Has been a tough day. xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Your outlines are pretty much spot-on, just a little more smooth (really just a little) around the corners should do the trick. wink.gif
Will watch that in the future! :D
that's what I meant what seems to be missing in your drawing. If you compare the screenshot with your drawing, you can see that..ermm...find the right words for that..the outline between her legs should be a little bit more downwards, the way it is like in the screenshot. That way it looks more like it is connected to the tail. If this wasn't 100% clear, I'm going to send you a pm. xD
I get what you mean now :smile
B6 should do the trick, when you look at the actual drawing. But I experienced it often enough that when something is scanned or photographed, that spots that look solid black on paper don't seem that way when digitalized.
Well, I was using the B6 earlier and I think it looks much better than my black pencil :angel The scan will tell me more :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Next one :smile

sketch:

coloured:

Now this is quite a cute picture of our sweet swimmer :lol Praise? Critism? :D Again, I ask you: Do you know where this scene is from? :smile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very nice.  :) After skimming through this topic once again, I can definitely see an improvement in your sketching and especially your coloring as time has gone on.  :yes Your artistic abilities are certainly far better than mine.

With regards to where this scene is from - I am unsure.  :unsure: Could this be from "The Search for the Sky-Colored Stones"?  Perhaps Ducky is admiring one of her precious stones?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you, rhombus :)

That's not the scene, however :lol Good guess though.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Oh I like this one. Looks like she's looking under an invisible rock or something.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's a leaf, actually (and I left it out,since this one doesn't have any bg at all... though I *might* add that to the picture one day...)

Glad you like it :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Next one :)

sketch:

coloured:

Yeah, I have a habit for creepy pictures, haven't I? :p What do you think?

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
ARGH! OK don,t get me wrong it a good sketch. But it IS creepy!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^I wish I could remember which movie this is from... :p

Next one:

sketch:

coloured:

This is a lovely scene, isn't it? :D

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I definitely see improvement in getting the proportions right and the way you're coloring your pictures. Also the outlines look better, too.

Good work there. :)