The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time WD Fanart Contest Winner

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, this is where I will announce the winner and you guys can congratulate the individual. (Yep, first part of the prize, I'm dedicating a whole topic on this forum to the winner.) Also, you guys can tell me how I did for throwing this contest because it was my very first time throwing a Fanart Contest.

Now, before announcing the winner, I would like to thank everyone who had sent in their fanart.  As well as those that voted.  It really does mean a lot to me.

Also, I feel bad that I forgot one very crucial place to set up the contest at, and that was DeviantART. :bang It is truly THE biggest place of fanart, period.  I have NO excuse for not setting it up there.  If I had, it could've made a change on who entered and who was chosen as the winner.  I apologize to everyone who feels offended at this point.

Okay, as for the prize at hand...

First off, the winner has, as you have seen already, received their own topic at this forum.  Secondly, I shall change the webpage on my site and so that I can announce the winner.  Third, I shall make a YouTube Video announcing the winner there as well.  Finally, I will personally send the winner by mail...

A Check for $1,000 US Dollars.  It's their's to use as they wish.

So, congratulations to the winner of The 2010 The Land Before Time WD Fanart Contest, which is none other than.

Sky for his picture of Mo.

Congratulations Sky, you've earned it!

Now, for those who don't believe it, here's the tally.

Captain Arvens - Cera - 1

Captain Arvens - Ducky - 2

Malte - Cera Figure Molds - 0

Campion 1 - Cera - 0

Celia M. - Ducky - 6

Malte - Gang Escaping Sharptooth - 0

Malte - Ducky Scolding Cera - 0

Malte - Five Figure Molds - 3

Celia M. - Littlefoot - 5

Malte - Gang of Seven - 3

Aristocles - Littlefoot & Ali - 1

DarkHououmon - Littlefoot and Topsy - 7

Sky - Mo - 10

Malte - Petrie Mocking Cera - 2

Malte - Sad Littlefoot - 2

Pangaea - LBT Grown Up - 2

ScratteLover2 - Ruby - 0

Iris - Littlefoot Tutorial - 1

Malte - Scared Gang - 4

Malte - Sign of Hope - 2

Malte - Soapstone Petrie - 0

DarkWolf91 - Guido, Petrie and Ducky - 5

Malte - Gang Overlooking Valley - 5

So, congratulations Sky!  I'll be contacting you through PM so I can know where to send the check.

Again, thank you to everyone who entered.

Don't be shy to post to give congrats and to rant on my contest.

Thanks again, and I'll see ya later!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Where else was this contest held? It couldn't just be people from GOF who voted. I counted the votes earlier and I did not see 10 votes for Sky, and the two people with the highest votes were tied with 7 (me and Malte). So I'm confused. Where did the other votes come from? Or did I really just miscount multiple times?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah I see. Well there are some things I'd like to say about the contest. But I have to do something at the moment. So I'll modify my post a bit later.

Edit: Okay, here I go.

Let me start off by saying I do congratulate Sky on winning, however much of this post is going to be a rant on the contest and explaining some of my displeasures of it. I apologize ahead of time if I offended anyone or come across as a jerk. I don't intend to; these are just my feelings regarding the contest.

Okay onto the contest. I do not really believe it was a very fair contest, and here's my explanation for why. The contest did not hold a limit on how many pictures were sent on. Some members sent in more than others. Even then this could have been handled more fairly if the decision to vote for pictures rather than members was not made. By voting for the pictures, some contestants could potentially get more votes than someone else. For instance, in a single post, one member got 3 votes and at least two other members got two. The other problem was that the contest was held in more than one location, or more specifically, there were votes on more than one location. This may be more of a preference than a problem, though I admit. The reason I don't like it is because, if votes are made visible, I like to be accurate with how many votes I know each person has. But when the votes are scattered, I get an inaccurate view of who gets how many votes.

My recommendation for future contests is this:

1. Only allow one entry per person. This makes the voting more fair for everyone as everyone would have a more equal chance to win. I didn't find the whole "vote for picture, not member" thing fair because, as stated earlier, this means that one person could potentially get more than one vote from the same person.

2. Only allow one location where the votes can be tallied. Instead of letting people vote on GOF, YT, and LBTWD, why not create a page on LBTWD made for the contest? Perhaps create a poll where people can vote and provide a link. Don't count votes that were made any other why besides the polling system. Not only is this less confusing, in my opinion, but it also makes it easier for the contest holder to keep track of the votes instead of having to go to 3 different locations.

That's not the only thing that bothers me about the contest. The other thing is the prize itself. I'm not saying $1,000 is a bad prize. My complaint isn't that specifically. My complaint is that I wish you hadn't revealed what the prize was to begin with. I'm not trying to sound greedy here. I would have loved the $1,000 not because I'm selfish, but because I and my family are having money issues and this year has been pretty bad for us. And it doesn't help that, due to an inaccurate count on my part due to not knowing that there were more than one place where people were voting, I thought me or Malte were going to get the prize. That $1,000 would have been really helpful. I'm not saying we are bad off without it; we are managing pretty well. I'm just saying it would have been provided some help since we're all low on money. I'm not saying change the winner; Sky won the prize and I'm not going to take that away from him. I just have one request the next time if you hold another contest that involves money: please do not make the amount of money known publicly, especially if it's $1,000.

Again congratulations on winning Sky! And again I hope I didn't offend anyone here.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Actually, my picture wasn't of the gang grown up, but the gang as realistic dinosaurs (based on what real-life young dinosaurs are believed to have looked like).

Congratulations Sky!

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You probably would have gotten WAY more attention from this contest if the prize was known beforehand.  $1000 is a prize not often seen online other than through large companies and horrible odds of winning.  Even I, someone without an art background, would have given this a lot of time with that kind of prize up for grabs! :p

Like Kacie, that would have been super useful to me at the moment.  I agree with her; more information about the prize would have been most useful, combined with more fair submission/voting rules.

Honestly, if I had known that, nothing would have stopped me from getting 10 of my friends to vote for me. :p It's too easy to cheat.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To stop further complaining about the contest, I would like to have a personal chat with you Pokeplayer :) Please contact me at msn or per email. Let's get this problem solved.

Congratulations Sky!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will admit that this was my first official contest ever.  Most of the time, I didn't know what the heck I was doing.  Might explain why I chose to do what I did.

Furthermore, I was constantly debating myself on what the prize should be.  Some of the prizes I had in mind, I could not fulfill by any means.  If you guys like, I will post them.  Also, I had decided to keep the surprise a HUGE secret, which was probably one of my biggest mistakes.

In the end, I felt that $1,000 was the best prize I could give in terms of what I could accomplish.  Also, don't worry about it.  I've got like $20,000 saved up.  So, it's no big to me right now. (How I've been getting along so well, I have no idea myself.)

Like I said, first time and had no idea what I was doing, so I was pretty much bound to make some huge mistakes.  I might plan on doing this again next year.  If I do, I plan to get some help running it. (I'll probably contact Iris if I do actually do it again.  She did offer to help.) I seriously didn't know what I was doing.

Well, live and learn. :)

See ya guys later!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, and I should also say to Sky that people wanted his picture of Longneck Family to be eligible.  People voted for it despite it NOT being eligible just because you didn't get it turned in in time.  You wouldn't believe how much I got begged.  They just loved it.

Honestly, if I had known that, nothing would have stopped me from getting 10 of my friends to vote for me. :p It's too easy to cheat.

Which was the main reason I didn't reveal it in the first place.  I wanted the voting process to be more fair and honest in terms of picking a favorite.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here's the page.  I kept it simplistic.  Check it out if you like.

http://thelandbeforetimewd.com/The-Land-Be...test-Winner.php

Oh, and check the bottom of the page.  I'm sure you'll be surprised. :)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 23 2010 on  12:07 PM
Oh, and I should also say to Sky that people wanted his picture of Longneck Family to be eligible.  People voted for it despite it NOT being eligible just because you didn't get it turned in in time.  You wouldn't believe how much I got begged.  They just loved it.

Which was the main reason I didn't reveal it in the first place.  I wanted the voting process to be more fair and honest in terms of picking a favorite.
I SAW THAT! OMG it was such a wonderful piece. Sky did an amazing job on it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Congratulations Sky :)
A prize well deserved for your art :yes
And a prize which I admit made me go :blink: when I read it. I had thought of the prize as something LBT related based on the description of it being rare and expensive. Now this sure was a big prize.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 23 2010 on  05:42 PM
And a prize which I admit made me go :blink: when I read it. I had thought of the prize as something LBT related based on the description of it being rare and expensive. Now this sure was a big prize.
Like I said, there was debate as to what the prize would be.  When I first started with thinking of the prize, I did think of something LBT-themed, but soon realized I couldn't fulfill it and had to think of something else.

TBH, I think $1,000 US Dollars is a nice alternative to it. :)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Ok... time for me to respond...

Okay, I got really and I mean REALLY shocked at first when I've read the prize being 1000US Dollars! :wow :wow :wow
I first thought it was a movie cell or something since you said it was hard to get.  :o Seriously... 1000$? Are you sure what you are doing?  That sounds too much. :blink:

With the the money, I could finally buy myself a Cintiq tablet... but still, I feel bad about it for the people who needs the money more than me.   :unsure:  Is this even legal?  :o

It's kinda unfair too though, about the voting. If I had uploaded more, I would have less votes for my Mo picture. And if you calculated the votes to single members together, then Malte would have won with 21 votes in total.  :unsure: And 1000$ for a little sketch? I mean, really... are you totaly sure about that?

I need more time to think this over... :unsure: I would appreciate it if more people would comment here and share their thoughts. :yes

PS: I haven't responded to your PM yet. You know... I'm always  a little sceptical when I have to give my adress away.  :p I assume a 'Paypal'-method is out of place, hmm?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's up to you what you want to do. The way I see it, you have a few options.

1. You can give up your prize to someone else you feel deserve it more.
2. You can split the prize with someone else you feel also deserve it.
3. You can opt for another prize, either a lower amount of money or a different prize.
4. You can accept the $1,000.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
OR you can accept the money and donate half of it to a worthy charity? just a though I mean. just saying.

$1,000 is an awful lot. I first read what the prize was I thought Pokeplayer made a typo. but now its obvious its no typo.

I agree with what DarkHououmon said about your choices. cuz thems the only ones I can recomend myself.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Aug 24 2010 on  11:02 AM
PS: I haven't responded to your PM yet. You know... I'm always  a little sceptical when I have to give my adress away.  :p I assume a 'Paypal'-method is out of place, hmm?
To be fully honest, despite the fact that I do have a Paypal account, I don't use or understand how to use it to it's fullest.

If you wish, just guide me and I'll give it through Paypal and make it easier for both of us.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked to see how easy it is.  Wow!  Just an e-mail address?  That simple?  Paypal, you never cease to amaze me.

So yeah, if you wish, just give me an e-mail and I'll take care of it from there.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You can always accept the money and give part of it to someone who needs like, like Kacie and Tim stated above, or to some friend you know has issues! :)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm just curious, but where did the 1,000 dollars came from?  Who donated it for the purpose of the contest?

Honestly an amount of prize money that high sounds too good to be true.  Sky is right to be careful.

Caustizer.