The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Evolution of LBT Animation

Phantom · 15 · 2646

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
So I've been thinking about how the animation of the LBT series has progressed. Obviously, the first film was a masterpiece of animation. The sequels, however, have trends of their own. 2-6, 7, and 8-13 have unique animation styles. At some point, they started using CGI dinosaurs in the background shots, as well as in the backgrounds. One effect was a rotating "earth ball" for the GoF to walk on and create the illusion of traveling. There are other oddities, such as color scheme changes in the GoF that can identify each film.
I might be forgetting some trends.
(Also, there's a shot in LBT 3 of Cera and Topsy running through a fire that has a high framerate for some reason).

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well the 1988 movie had awesome animation. But the sequels not so much. They mixed CGI Animation with 2-D animation it was a eyes sore big time. But some of it was nice to look at tho. But not all the time.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Aug 23 2013 on  08:07 AM
Littlefoot looked quite different in LBT 6 imo :o
I noticed that, too. I was making a video with clips from that movie and from LBT 4, and he's browner and less pudgy.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ducky's tummy changes from yellow to almost white to light green throughout the franchise and her back is either (dark)green or a brownish color (LBT 6 for example).

Same problem with Littlefoot, Ali!, Cera and Petrie. Esp. Petrie has many different colours for his tummy... In the original it's purple, I think he was light red, light green, light blue and light yellow in different sequels...

The animation style indeed changed strikingly. While the original, having the least technical options, has a great and carefully done animation, not to mention the lovely drawn backgrounds, sequels 2-6 had a bad style imo. Compared to the original, it's far worse, the animation isn't great and the background isn't half as good.
7-10 were okay and 11 and especially 12 were quite well done and the backgrounds look far better.
Well... 13... as good as 7-10 I think.

The Tv-series is as bad (probably even worse) animated as (than) 2-6.
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
You can break animation changes into groups:

1 - stands alone as the only one by Bluth and co.

2-4 - same style as 1 with Grosvenor directing

5-6 - animation through a different group of people; its a bit sloppy

7 - bright, bright, colors! >.<

8-13 - computer animation and shadow effects are added to the films

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Of these, 9-13 look similar, but 8 is different from them, it has darker colors and looks blurry.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
While true, it is still using computers for some shading and effects.  They get better with the equipment for number 9, but the effects become jarring.  (e.g. the water in 9 vs the cell animation)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I did like the a lot of the animation from the sequels but it was to much when they mixed CGI and 2-D Animation together.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
What I love about the later sequels (9-13) is that they have extremely well-detailed and colorful backgrounds. The earlier sequels had them too, but not too many.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I did love the animation in movie X. The backgrounds in there where great and I loved how everything was made. The colors where very good.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: MurMur,Aug 23 2013 on  08:23 PM
What I love about the later sequels (9-13) is that they have extremely well-detailed and colorful backgrounds. The earlier sequels had them too, but not too many.
That's how I felt. While I love the traditional animation of the earlier sequels (indeed, hand-drawn animation will never lose its appeal for me :DD), I felt the animation of the later sequels really enhanced and brightened to a pleasing, aesthetic effect :)
Sort of like the colors in Ferngully...
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
You can break animation changes into groups:

1 - stands alone as the only one by Bluth and co.

2-4 - same style as 1 with Grosvenor directing

5-6 - animation through a different group of people; its a bit sloppy

7 - bright, bright, colors! >.<

This is a very good breakdown, Petrie.  :yes The only thing that I would contest is that, to me at least, the animation style in 7 is not very different from 8-13. The only thing that changed significantly was the inking and painting style.
Come to think of it, any criticisms that I've heard about the animation in 7 are actually criticisms of the coloring, which I am still certain stem from it being the first of the movies to use digital coloring.

To comment on the backgrounds of the later sequels; while they have detail, they seem too sterile and artificial to me. But I think that way about most CG-enhanced backgrounds.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FreckledOne,Sep 7 2013 on  06:43 PM
The only thing that I would contest is that, to me at least, the animation style in 7 is not very different from 8-13. The only thing that changed significantly was the inking and painting style.
Come to think of it, any criticisms that I've heard about the animation in 7 are actually criticisms of the coloring, which I am still certain stem from it being the first of the movies to use digital coloring.
My thoughts exactly, regarding the animation style of the series at around this time. 7 was the first one in the series to be digitally animated, so it was sort of like an experiment, with most of the resulting flaws (like a lack of shading) being resolved in the following sequels.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, they do change the animation a lot. 2-4 weren't that different from 5-6; but yeah, I also noticed that out-of-place shot with Cera and her dad in 3...