The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Animation for Characters

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey gang,

Back when I was at Malte's place a while ago, Lf1616 was talking about animating the characters and wanted to have a list of animations. I told him I had such a list on my computer. Just now I found it and edited it a bit. Naturally it's not complete yet and some animations might not be necessary.

I'm open for any addition or suggestion.

Common:

ï   Walking
ï   Sprinting
ï   Jumping
ï   Swimming
ï   Diving
ï   Idle animation(breathing)
ï   Grabbing an item (mouth or hands depending on character)
ï       Eating
ï   Talking, mouth movement

Flying:

ï   Flapping wings
ï   Gliding ??
ï   Diving down
ï   Bumping into another object (might also be in the common section)

Extras:

ï   Impatient animations
ï   Shivering (in cold/scary times)

I'd like some input from others. Animating will take a long time, so the fact that there's a list here does not mean that animation will come any time soon. We won't put pressure on you either, LF1616 ;) This will just be a helpful little list in the future.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Heh heh! Thanks Mumbling! Glad someone's thinking ahead. :D I've been noting down a few necessary animations (pretty much the list you've already created; great minds ;) ). I'm working my way through some animation techniques using 3DS Max but hopefully I can get to grips with it fairly quickly....hopefully  :p But yeah, if anyone can think of any more "BASIC" animations that might be good to put into the game then please add to the list. By basic, I mean nothing to do with skills, abilities or attacks as these will need to be discussed and will be implemented later

Thanks guys and gals! ;)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Hmm... how about an "eating" animation? Like eating a treestar or something to regain Energy or Stamina?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I guess that's useful. I would think it looks a lot like grabbing an item with your mouth or with your hands and then to your mouth (the grabbing an item one)..

But I guess it can be separated!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Plenty of time for that later, and deciding which order to do the animation in, testing, ect.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, think it would be nice to see our models actually physically move rather than just slide everywhere. :lol I'll probably be working on walk cycles first. Once we get that out of the way, I'm sure the other stuff will come naturally (here's to hoping anyway  :p )

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How about a laying, sitting or resting animation? ^_^ will come up with more when i think of something :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll just put them in the game as I receive them.  No rush on animations; I always have something to work on, as you well know, Jay. ;) :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: babidikrakenguard,Jan 5 2010 on  11:04 PM
How about a laying, sitting or resting animation? ^_^ will come up with more when i think of something :)
Not sure sure what those will be used for yet. Energy charges quickly enough so I'm not quite sure if we'd need a sitting or laying animation.

My thought on a resting/sleeping animation was always that when the players leaves an online game, his character goes to sleep. However I'm not sure if this has been decided yet :p But they might come in handy :D

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not a bad idea I'd say. Maybe we can chat about it in the next meeting :)

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
animations would be nice, i'm alreay creating custom animations for halo combat evolved with 3ds max!!! and it's hard when it comes to animating the elites and grunts...>_>
facebook.com/venomwargreymon