The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Odd Facts of the LBT World

Kor · 47 · 6118

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I also noticed in The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving, Littlefoot exclaimed how hungry he was, ate two leaves, and was satisfied. The satisfied part was proven when he stopped eating and said "That sure was good." I have never heard that expression from a child when he/she still wanted more food. I can maybe see Petrie or Ducky satisfied from that kind of meal, but I'm pretty sure that a dinosaur Littlefoot's size could eat more than a full grown human. Logically, stress from unfortunate incidents in one's invironment can lead to temporary eating disorders, things like being hungry then quickly being full. Which means, eather the creaters greatly underestimated the capactity of his stomach, didn't have the time ton show him eating a full meal, or it seems they are hiding stress related stomach abnormalities on a show aimed at children

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assume it was meant to be compressed time.  But one could also take it to be other things as well, including eating disorders, at that age his stomach is smaller then it should be ect.  

Some of the characters seeming to have powers reminds me of the new mutants/-men sort of thing.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I suppose this one really comes down to how long the audience would have remained happy while just watching Littlefoot eating. Had they even spend a mere minute (which still if an extremely short time even for a snack) showing nothing but Littlefoot eating the audience would have grown been bored. Many trivial things are left out (not just in LBT but in storytelling in general) when they are too trivial to be of interest to the audience and don't have any major significance to the story. I'd have to check out to make sure, but I think there may even be LBT sequels where we never actually see one of the major characters eat at all.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good point. It would be boring to just watch him eat for a while but the way it shows him from start to finish with two leaves is still a bit unreal. Based on your opinion, I think I know how Littlefoot could have eaten a lot and still have taken mere seconds of screen time. What if it showed him start eating then the screen faded away and showed something with action, like the others playing, then it can zoom back to him right as he's done, and the in-between shot shows that some time had gone by, enough for him to have a meal, not a bite ot two? Or perhaps is that still too much focus on such an issue?
I'd have to check out to make sure, but I think there may even be LBT sequels where we never actually see one of the major characters eat at all.
If some movies and parts don't show them eating, then that would be better than this, because we could at least safely assume that they actually ate properly. But they should be more creative in time saving than giving a young longneck a meal fit for a young big mouth/swimmer.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe the director thought that was the better way to do it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
What if it showed him start eating then the screen faded away and showed something with action, like the others playing, then it can zoom back to him right as he's done, and the in-between shot shows that some time had gone by, enough for him to have a meal, not a bite ot two? Or perhaps is that still too much focus on such an issue?
I suppose it would have been. While more realistic, it would have drawn attention first to the playing characters and then back to eating Littlefoot. In doing so it would have been very likely to confuse the audience. There have been such fading out scenes in LBT, but usually they signify an important change of time, place, or issue to be dealt with. For the sake of realism (in a movie about talking dinosaurs ;)) it probably deemed the producers proper to do it just the way they did. Personally I consider it no major blunder. There are cases where logic and realism are hurt in a much worse manner in LBT. In this case it is relatively easy to just go with the message "he has eaten his fill" without counting the treestars.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile