The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The LBT Server

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
This topic was created to inform you of the servers status, recent upgrades, upcoming features, and new features that have been successfully added.

Please Scroll Down To The Most Recent Post To See The Most Up-To-Date News

{Friday May 22, 2009}

--Universal Upload Folder Saved!

The Universal Upload Folder will not be taken down.  It took a lot of work but I finally added two more security levels to the folder permissions which I'm confident will give it sufficient security.  I was going to remove the Universal Upload Folder due to there being only one level of protection, but I've found a way to secure it better so it's here to stay!

--New Member Tools

A new set of Member Tools has been created.  No new tools have been added, however the tools have been moved from the static sidebar to the upper right corner of the screen.  When you scroll down to look at your files and folders, the Member Tools go with you.  This prevents you having to constantly scroll up and down when trying to type the name of the file/folder you want to delete or rename.

In addition, the new Member Tools are collapsible.  When you move your cursor off of them for a few moments, they minimize to a small non-intrusive button that remains at the upper right corner of the screen.  This might be a bit annoying to those with smaller resolutions (particularly 1024x768 or less), but I'm trying to program a way to minimize even the small button if you want to.  The problem is you can't get the button again without restarting your browser.  I'll work on the problem and find a solution ASAP.  Anyways, here's the new set of Member Tools:

View The Entire Server Interface

Member Tools Current Features List:

*Create New Folders
*Delete Folders
*Delete Files
*Rename Files
*Rename Folders
*Change password

1.  Add Upload Files Option To Member Tools
2.  Remove Test "Search Google" Link At Top of Page
3.  Re-write Disclaimer
4.  Add "Become A Member" Option To Standard Viewers
5.  Make Upload Status Automatically Come Up When Uploading Files
6.  ***Multiple File Uploader!!!!!!!!***

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{Saturday May 23, 2009}

--Server Speeds Increased!

I have found a way to uncap some things and now potential speeds have increased 12.5% to 9mbps!

I'll try to work on my to-do list later today, but I make no promises.  I have the feeling today is going to get pretty busy. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Keep spoiling us!  We love you for it! :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{Friday June 19, 2009}

--Auto Pop-Up of Upload Progress

The upload progress indicator which you previously needed to click the "Transfers" button to see now pops up automatically for files that are 1mb or larger.  This helps to avoid confusion with people, as they don't think their files are being uploaded because there's no visible progress indicator.  The "Transfers" button has also been renamed.  It is now called the "View Progress" button.

--Removal of "Search Google" Link

That annoying and pointless Search Google link is gone forever.  I hope I didn't depress anyone. :p

--Security Holes Patched

I recently discovered a security hole so great that I contemplated temporarily shutting down the server until I could get it resolved.  Using a special device (of who's name will not be mentioned here) that a lot of hackers have, you could have easily gotten into the admin panel.  From there you can do virtually ANYTHING.  The security hole has been patched and everything is working fine now.

--Download Accelerators Disabled

There have been a few users that use download accelerators and take more than their fair share of bandwidth away from other users.  This has come to an END.  Virtually all download accelerators have been successfully blocked and will no longer function with the FTP system on the server.

I've tried to create a flash uploader....but it's beyond my skill level at the moment.  I'm not a flash guy okay?  I could use Java, but I have to BUY that.  It costs $150.  No thank you.  I think I'll keep looking for other solutions.

To-Do List:

*Add "Become A Member" Option To Standard Viewers
*Re-write Disclaimer
*Add Upload Files Option To Member Tools

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to make them.  To be honest I'm out of ideas at the moment. <_<

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've added a new feature.  Since I'm hosting websites on my server now, I can't just have it going offline and have there being nothing.  Because of this, I have just implemented a redundant backup file system.  It's not pretty but it will temporarily index the files and allow users to browse the system.  Since it's a redundant backup system it's not nearly as powerful.  The backup system has a max speed of 2,048kps.  Also, when the backup system is engaged, the member tools will NOT function.  I've implemented the ability to upload files, but members can't create new folders or rename files/folders when the backup system is implimented.

But don't worry.  The backup system is just for cases when the server system shuts down without warning (like when I'm asleep and aren't aware of any problems).  The server will still experience a limited amount of downtime, but now instead of just shutting down and displaying an error when you try to access files, it'll display a failsafe backup file browser instead and you'll still have access to all of your files (and the websites that are hosted there will still work 100%, though at a slower speed).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{Friday August 7th, 2009}

Well it's been quite awhile since I've done an update, so let's get started!

-I've changed the LBT Server design interface to a Windows Vista like theme.  This is the view of the new server interface:

The member tools now look like this:

Though it's impossible to demonstrate their unique usability to non-members, the member tools allow members to delete files/folders, rename files/folders, create new folders, and change their password.  It's all crammed into this nice streamlined user interface.

I've also added checkboxes to delete multiple files/folders at once.

In terms of hardware, the LBT Server is now hosted on a really nice dual core Alienware computer.  Here are some photos of it:

Specs:
*AMD Athlon64 x2 5000+ 2.61ghz Dual Core Processor
*2gb DDR2 5300 Ram (I'll upgrade this later)
*750gb SATAII Hard Drive
*500gb External Hard Drive
*MSI K9A Platinum motherboard (crossfire ready)
*ATi Radeon X1950 Pro video card (256mb GDDR3 Dual DVI)
*Triple Gigabit Ethernet Ports
*Dual Layer DVD-RW Drive
*Windows XP Professional SP3

To Do:
*Work on flash uploader
*Rewrite disclaimer
*Get the preview box functioning
*Work on checkbox styling

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{Friday, August 28, 2009}

I've now switched to a new server due to difficulties with the Alienware that have no immediate solution.  Here's a picture of it and some specs:

*Intel Dual Core 1.6ghz Processor
*2gb DDR2 800mhz Ram (maxed out :( )
*320gb Internal HD, 500gb External HD
*Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
*Integrated Card Reader
*DVD-RW DL Burner With Lightscribe Technology

Yeah I know.  It's not as advanced, but I've now loaded my server with Windows Vista!  Why?  Refer to This Thread to find out why I am now a supporter of Windows Vista and have it on all my machines. :D

Unfortunately any updates to the software are going by REALLY slowly.  With the school year rapidly approaching and there being so much for me to do, I can't afford the time to go through major upgrades right now. :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{November 21, 2009}

--New Member Tools Menu

The Member Tools are now on a "slide-down" menu.  This makes them more accessible and easier to manage.  The only down side is that once you do something (like create a new folder, delete a file, etc.), the page refreshes and the member tools collapse again.  This is a bit of an inconvenience when you're trying to do multiple things, but I'm working on it.

Just click this button:    and you can expand/contract the tools.

To Do List:

*Set Up Member Sign-up Section
*Change Main Logo
*Style Submit Buttons for Member Tools (They're rather ugly at the moment, don't ya think?)

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to contact me!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
{February 26, 2010}

Jeeze.  It's been quite a while, hasn't it?  I've actually done a ton of upgrades since now.  I just haven't updated it here.  Anyway, here's the new design scheme:

Member Tools:

Main Server Interface:

I've made a background that will stretch to 100% the width and height of the screen.  It dynamically adjusts too!  The server works with IE7 and above.  Older versions of third party browsers such as Firefox might not render the page properly.

I've added registration, changed the logo, added a help section, added stats and total downloads, and I've also just finished an about page.  The bottom of the page shows stats such as if you're logged in or not, what your IP address is, the number of active users at that exact time, and the total number of files downloaded in the past 60 days!