The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Community watch: LBT 6

Poll

If you'd like to join the viewing of LBT 6, please indicate which times work for you (multiple options allowed)

Friday 26/7 @ 4 PM EST, 10 PM CEST, Saturday 27/7 6 AM AEST
4 (13.8%)
Saturday 27/7 @ 3 AM EST, 9 AM CEST, 5 PM AEST
2 (6.9%)
Saturday 27/7 @ 9 AM EST, 3 PM CEST, 11 PM AEST
4 (13.8%)
Saturday 27/7 @ 4 PM EST, 10 PM CEST, Sunday 28/7 6 AM AEST
4 (13.8%)
Sunday 28/7 @ 3 AM EST, 9 AM CEST, 5 PM AEST
4 (13.8%)
Sunday 28/7 @ 9 AM EST, 3 PM CEST, 11 PM AEST
6 (20.7%)
Sunday 28/7 @ 4 PM EST, 10 PM CEST, Monday 29/7 6 AM AEST
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Wow, Rabbit actually went down. But it hasn't shutdown yet, though. :)

Sorry that I couldn't attend! Unfortunately, the time stamp chosen wasn't ideal for me. :P

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
It's a shame I missed this wonderful opportunity to watch some LBT with you guys. Well, maybe next time?  :)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
Started out great - but rabbit went down for some and was lagging for everyone so we switched over to the backup stream part way through.

The crash/major lag happened right after Saurus Rock got broken  :lol
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Oh well. It was still a fun time. I hope we can arrange another one sometime.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Started out great - but rabbit went down for some and was lagging for everyone so we switched over to the backup stream part way through.

The crash/major lag happened right after Saurus Rock got broken  :lol

Coincidence? I think not. Sorry guys, everyone that witnessed the tragic event will have bad luck for the next 100 years. ;)

Hehe, do you think we should do a poll and vote for what the community should watch together next? :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Maybe it could be a possible idea? :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's possible. I think on any guests character's showcase month we can watch their specific movie, so since it's Shorty we'd watch 10 for this month

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That would be a nice idea to refresh our memories on the character!

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
That's possible. I think on any guests character's showcase month we can watch their specific movie, so since it's Shorty we'd watch 10 for this month

Yes to that  :lol
X is my 2nd favorite
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Ah! One of my favorites as well. This just means that I absolutely cannot miss it. Hopefully I will find the time to join in unlike last time. ;)

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hopefully Mo will be in the spotlight soon! :Mo

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are we going to watch LBT 10 next then? Should we do it for sometime later this month?

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This happens to be my 2,000th post on the Gang of Five forum! :celebrate :Mo

In celebration of this, I thought it would be a good time to do my script review of the sixth film. I had been wanting to do this review for a long time, especially since I already reviewed the first film script a while back. And, as Mumbling noted at the beginning of the thread, what inspired this community watch to begin with was to do a comparison between the film and the script. *shrug* Well, better late than never. ;)

Needless to say, this was quite an interesting read. As with the first film, there are some things I feel the script did better, and some things the final version did better.

Right at the beginning, we can see that the script is darker than the final product. There's a small dinosaur that gets devoured by the Meanest Sharptooth in the flashback. Poor guy. :cry They should've kept that part in. :p It would've made the following scene more intense of the mother longneck trying to protect her son.

There is a "SPAGHETTI WESTERN RATTLE" mentioned at a few points when Doc shows up. That's another thing I kinda wish they'd kept.

Another difference is that, instead of Dinah & Dana who decide to visit Saurus Rock by themselves (whereupon the Gang follows after them), in the script it's Spike who gets the idea to go there (which Ducky relays to the others), and then the Gang all head out together. In fact, Dinah & Dana themselves are completely absent. I actually like Dinah & Dana, but all the same, it does make me curious why they were later included when they weren't part of the initial story. Maybe just to have a couple extra cute little kid characters?

The bad luck theme is more pronounced in the script. Nothing dangerous happens in the script until after one of the Saurus Rock teeth has fallen off, whereas in the film the first Sharptooth encounter and the perilous trek across the stone pillars happens before Saurus Rock is damaged, leaving it more ambiguous whether or not Saurus Rock truly was cursed. The script, meanwhile, makes the curse pretty blatant.

This might also explain why "Saurus Rock" is in the film's title rather than anything about the Lone Dinosaur, as conversely, Doc has a smaller role here in the script than he did in the film. Which is funny considering that, even in the film, one of my nitpicks was that I thought Doc was a bit underused. Still, I like that they beefed up his role from what it was in the script, at least, and I also like how they added an element of ambiguity to the bad luck that wasn't there before.

Regardless, the script does have some other interesting tidbits that I wish had been kept. The Gang spends much more time wandering through the forest and getting lost on their way to and from Saurus Rock, with the forest being described as noticeably dark and creepy. It's noted to get even spookier after Saurus Rock is damaged and the curse comes into effect, which would've made for a great atmospheric touch had it been included in the film. Cera also declares later on that she's going on a "Sharptooth hunt," which comes off silly yet kind of epic at the same time.

The thing I most wish had been included is that there's four Sharptooth villains here, who come off more menacing, and it culminates in a more violent and intense climax when the characters are fighting off all the Sharpteeth. There are also some mentions of snow and ice, with Grandpa noting that the world is getting colder, which could've been a nice lead-up into The Big Freeze (even though the dinosaurs are surprised by the snow in that film).

I also notice a lack of songs in the script. Hmm, was this film originally planned to not be a musical? Or was it simply that they wanted to figure out the rough storyline first and then add in the songs after? I suspect the latter, but it did make me wonder.

In general, the script deviates quite a bit more from the final version than the LBT 1 script did, although I imagine part of the reason is just because the LBT 6 script says it's the first draft, whereas the LBT 1 script "includes new revisions." The LBT 6 script also seems sloppier in places than the LBT 1 script, but again, it's only a first draft. It would've been interesting to see if the original LBT 1 script draft was as different from the final version as this one is here.

Overall, this was a terrific find, and I hope that more LBT scripts surface in the future.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think I can understand why they chose to make Saurus Rock's curse more ambiguous. I feel like if they were blatant with it, that might've killed the mood a little for me in retrospect. When the supernatural is put into play in LBT, it's always been ambiguous. I guess that's why I wasn't a big fan of the Rainbow Faces being explicitly revealed as aliens in the end of LBT 7; supernatural/sci-fi elements just don't mix with an otherwise realistic depiction of the Mesozoic Era. Though I think I could've gotten behind the darker tone they set up with the script thanks to the curse being more blatant.

I'm really interested about Doc's role being more minimal and Dinah and Dana being completely absent in the original product. I will have to assume the changes were made because they thought the movie would be too dark for children and they thought upping Doc's cowboy theme, not to mention cute little characters like Dinah and Dana, would help reel more children in. I mean, it certainly worked for me when I was younger.

Jeez, FOUR SHARPTEETH?! I would've been SO excited as a kid! That would've topped the excitement I felt when I saw three Sharpteeth at once in LBT 10. Also, the potential lead-in to LBT 8 is quite interesting too. Even if they probably didn't anticipate LBT 8 being about a blizzard, they should've kept the winter elements in to maintain a stronger sense of continuity.

There's a reason why first drafts are called "first drafts", but nonetheless, you'd be amazed to find what kind of wasted potential these kinds of drafts may contain, not just for LBT but just in general. Like, I'd really like to know what it would've been like if J.K. Rowling's first drafts for the Harry Potter books were the finished product that people would've enjoyed.

I too hope we have similar finds like this in the near-future.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you for the response. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I liked the Rainbow Face/alien twist myself, but it certainly isn't for everyone, and it is admittedly a pretty far-out thing to include in LBT. Although I've always been a fan of the more fantastical elements in movies and fiction. I agreed with all your other points.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Thank you for the response. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I liked the Rainbow Face/alien twist myself, but it certainly isn't for everyone, and it is admittedly a pretty far-out thing to include in LBT. Although I've always been a fan of the more fantastical elements in movies and fiction. I agreed with all your other points.
Yes, I'm a fan of fantastical elements, but the context needs to matter too. Aside from the Rainbow Faces, LBT has been mostly down-to-earth.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Fair point. In this case, however, aliens in Land Before Time is so over-the-top, that's the very thing I love about it. It's such a wild idea that it's awesome. Then again, I like aliens period. Especially in settings when you wouldn't expect to see them. One of the reasons I enjoyed the cow-abducting alien mission in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
:yum