The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 12 Review

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know when the movie is coming out on DVD?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I can't remember if this is the exact date or not, but I thought it was around February 24.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Never mind, lets just drop the conversation about this scene. We've beaten it to death at least five posts ago. Oh, and the movie should be out in stores by February 27th in the U.S.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Heh, okay. Feb. 27...that's not too long after my birthday.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Late birthday gift then  :lol:
I wonder if this new release will have any special features... the australian one had none besides the language options.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Highsoar

• Big flyer
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I got to watch Sunday. Thought it was okay, besides I like pterosaurs anyway *g* But there was no Quetzalcoatlus *sniffle* And they're around, LBT 8 had one. (I think it was 8, Stone of Cold Fire)

As for Cera and Tricia, I'd like to know what happened to the new hatchlings following Cera at the end of LBT 2...not to mention the others of the GoF. I was surprised Tria was back, they've never done too well keeping characters from one movie around to the next.

If I hve more thoughts, I'll post them tomorrow, I gotta get to bed before I'm falling asleep at work in the morning.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Got LBT 12 from UK shop today, found it in HMV after looking in every other shop, some reason not been released right away in stores in the UK and HMV had only 1 come in so I was very lucky to get it, well get it for the downstairs collection. I watched it all and found it to be a very very good one, I like how the story went and the songs as well :)

Very funny sence with Mr Threehorn landing in the mud after he ignored the warning from our feathered friend.

I am still on wait for my copy from the USA but I will get it :) no rush in getting it and look forward to getting that special edition version. all and all I loved this one and look forward to more to come :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
At long last I finally watched the land before time XII. The following review may include repetitions of what has been written in this thread before. I don’t know, for I wrote it in word and copy pasted it in this thread without reading the previous posts. My intention is to give a first hand account of just my own impressions without any influence from reading the thoughts of others before posting my own. After posting this message I shall read the thread and see if I just repeated what others said before, or if I brought up something new, if there are any disagreements on some points, or if I am in complete accordance with everybody else. We shall see.
First of all my overall impression of LBT XII is mixed. It is better than some, worse than some, contains nothing that would make me “rant” against it as much as I did in case of a certain other sequel, but also contains nothing that would secure the movie a place in my heart (or however we want to call it) as much as is the case with many other LBT movies.
One thing I realized was how much the attention is shifted away from Littlefoot and towards the others, Cera and Petrie in particular. We have had previous movies in which the others got more of the spotlight that they had had in even earlier movies, but I think in this movie Littlefoot got less screen time than in any other LBT movie and he for the first time he did almost nothing of any real significance. I welcome attempts to put the others more in the spotlight, but I don’t hope for Littlefoot to become negligible. This fear is rather unfounded I suppose considering the fact that he got a good deal more spotlight than the others in the sequels preceding LBT 12.
I avoided reading spoilers during the last months, but couldn’t help learning about the idea of the day of the flyers as a day on which they fly in close formations. Ever since, I have been wondering why they would do that. There is nothing really to be gained for the flyers by flying in such formations while the very “freedom of flying” is kind of limited. In a way the outcome of the day of the flyers supports this view. Littlefoot’s grandpa mentioned the need to fly in herds. I don’t know why, but I had always pictured flyers to be sort of loners if it came to travelling, just because they have so much more freedom of movement than anyone else. Then again even the original movie showed large flocks of flyers. It would make sense for them to work out a way to ensure there are no stragglers when flying over hostile land to ensure that nobody has to land on his own if landing is necessary. While even a large flock of flyers is not likely to scare off any sharptooth, they are less likely to be surprised by one the more eyes (that is flyers) are around. Close flying formations occur in nature (wild geese are the best example), but somehow the degree in the movie seemed a bit exaggerated. Above all however they were a bit inconstant. Considering the emphasis they had put on the necessity of formation flying earlier in the movie they (Petrie’s siblings in particular) were surprisingly ready to abandon it towards the end.
During the scene in which Petrie was carrying Guido I was somewhat sceptical about the possibility of little Petrie carrying the larger Guido. In LBT 2 we have a scene in which he is barely able to soften a fall when carrying Ducky. But I guess with the effect of will power (after all Petrie and Guido had grown very good friends), the risk of death, and the degree of exhaustion Petrie showed I thought this was alright. When Petrie kept both Guido AND Tricia in the air I found this was too much.
Guido is a character rather different from those we’ve seen so far. He does follow the “tradition” of keeping many new character mysterious (as in case of Doc and the rainbowfaces). We never learn about how he really got to the Great Valley. It is very likely that he was sleepwalking / -flying and ended up in the Great Valley, but why didn’t he remember anything at all? And what about his family? Wouldn’t they look for him? Or did perhaps their fate (assuming that they were killed by predators or the like) cause a shock and Guido’s apparent amnesia? The voice of Guido was a little difficult to get used to as far as I’m concerned. His way of talking was interesting though. Did you realize he told all of Petrie’s siblings in a most uncontroversial manner that they were buttheads?
There were several funny statements not only from Guido but also from Cera and her family.
The other new character, Tricia was less spectacular than Guido I think. Of course she wasn’t meant to be much of a character but more of a “device” to put Cera and her folks in particular moods. I have a bit of a problem with this part of the story’s lack of coherence with reference to earlier movies and LBT 6 in particular. There were threehorn hatchlings around in LBT 2 and 3 (who didn’t play any role) but most conspicuously in LBT 6, Dinah and Dana. We were never told where Dinah and Dana were coming from (or where they have gone to since LBT 6). From their experiences with them one could expect a little more practice from Cera and her Dad with hatchlings around. Dinah and Dana also were an example of hatchling characters who played a much more active and interesting part in their movie than Tricia did. Well, she may yet get something more to do. I expect her to become a permanent character in future LBT movies and is probably involved in TV series sequels (I still have to see many of them) too.
LBT 12 addressed several interesting points. More than in any previous movies it struck me that none of the main characters seems to take much interest in their siblings or just members of their own kind. While in the original movie Littlefoot is looking forward to the Great Valley longnecks to play with (under the impression of the claim that one shouldn’t do anything with members of another kind) we’ve seen him interact with longnecks of his age only twice (not counting possible cases in the TV series I have yet to see), in LBT 4 and LBT 10. Cera never interacts with threehorns of her own age and in LBT 5 she admits other threehorns are too bossy for her. Up to now we never saw Petrie interact with his siblings (and showing a little more of Petrie’s family is one of the very positive points of LBT 12), and Ducky (as the other main character with many siblings) is only shown to interact with her siblings in the original movie and LBT 8. Spike is actually the only one who (having grown up apart from any member of his kind) shows a particular interest in his own species in LBT 8.
As for the music of LBT 12 I found “Everything changes” to be the best of the three.
On several occasions I had the impression that the creators of LBT 12 were somewhat “testing” the possibilities of whatever software they are using. There were scenes in which the grass background appeared smooth as it does in previous movies while in other scenes you could see every single blade of grass. Personally I’m inclined to prefer the simpler version as the other somehow doesn’t seem to fit to the way the characters are drawn. The grass is just one example of several computer elements they are involving sometimes for a good, and sometimes for a too artificially looking effect. There seems to be a certain fondness for letting water sparkle in the sunshine. Water reflection effects employed at the beginning of LBT 12 strongly reminded me of similar effects at the end of LBT 9.
In one scene there was a kind of Matrix effect. They had Littlefoot leap across a ravine, then his movement turned into slow motion all of a sudden, the camera was moving around a bit, then the tempo turned back to normal and Littlefoot only just made it to the other side. Somehow the effect didn’t seem to fit in. There was nothing particularly special about that leap or its outcome so the special effect seemed a bit out of place to me.
They also used a few camera moves along the lines of Petrie’s route of flying, something I don’t remember from any earlier movie.

I’m almost certain that I forgot to mention some important points, but I want to post this message still today and may be reminded of whatever I have forgotten when I finally read the thread.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh, and you won't believe who actually made an appearance in this movie. It was none other than the star of LBT 9, Mo. It's only a small cameo one. He actually jumps out of the water and says the word "fly" during the song, "Flip, Flap and Fly". Even though it was only a little word, it definately sounded like him.  Not only that, but he looked like him down to the very last detail.
This was one of the points I forgot to mention. It also makes Mo the first character to have a guestappearance more than once (he was shown in the LBT 10 song "Adventuring" already).
Oh, and I found out Guido's diet for anyone who's curious, he eats worms. He actually literally ate one in this movie. I guess some people could find that gross now that I think about it. Yet, he finds green food gross. (He really didn't like that stuff.)
Another point I forgot to mention. It is important to notice that this scene shows that the eating of some creatures (worms / insects) is tolerated, if not welcomed, in the Great Valley. This degree of tolerance as long as creatures the dinosaurs can't really relate to makes it easier for Chomper to appear in the TV series. I wonder where the tolerance about this ends though. What about fish? What about corpses? What in case an insect was able to talk (there are two land before time audio plays existing in Germany which include a talking caterpillar named Harry).

Finally it was kind of funny to see how carelessly one egg was treated during the song Flip, Flap, and Fly (dumped in water, in a volcano, hurled around etc.) after all the "fuss" Tria and Topsy made about their egg. :lol

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 10 2007 on  02:32 PM
Another point I forgot to mention. It is important to notice that this scene shows that the eating of some creatures (worms / insects) is tolerated, if not welcomed, in the Great Valley. This degree of tolerance as long as creatures the dinosaurs can't really relate to makes it easier for Chomper to appear in the TV series. I wonder where the tolerance about this ends though. What about fish? What about corpses? What in case an insect was able to talk (there are two land before time audio plays existing in Germany which include a talking caterpillar named Harry).
Well, none of the members of the valley seem to be particularly fond of insects.  Grandpa Longneck saw them as an annoyance in LBT 9, when he was explaining to Littlefoot how no one is ever truely alone.  In the song of "Creepy Crawlies" in LBT 11, it showed the rest of the grownups not like things that crawls, is small and bites you.  Know anything in that description? ;)

So I guess that might explain why eating insects is tolerated with the members of the Great Valley. :^.^:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I first watched LBT 12 a couple of weeks ago so here's my take on it:

I generally enjoyed this newest sequel as it seemed a bit "lighter". There seemed to be a much greater focus on "family units" with Petrie being the outcast of his siblings when flying and Cera getting used to not being in the spotlight of her father's/Tria's attention with the arrival of Trisha. There wasn't much in the way of action/danger/excitement as in the previous instalments of LBT but I still enjoyed the family factors of this one. The new arrival of Guido I think gave this sequel a bit more of a fun aspect. I really liked him despite being a rather "disposable" character. I liked his charm (Rob Paulsen was a perfect choice of his voice as always) and the way he was so unsure of everything. I didn't like his exit though. He seemed to literally just "up and leave". The gang didn't say goodbye to him, you don't see him in the closing scenes or anything. Unlike Doc's enigmatic dpearture, Littlefoot actually acknowledged his departure where as Guido just babbles nervously to Topsy then dashes off scene.

There was definitely a change in limelight candidates this time round (as Malte has already mentioned). Whereas we've been used to seeing Littlefoot take centre-stage for the majority of the sequels, the attention shift definitely falls more primarily on Cera and Petrie. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he, Ducky and Spike were "neglected" but their appearances seemed a little more like space-fillers than actually contributing a great deal to the main concepts of the story. As with LBT 11, not much in terms of the whole "getting lost out in the Mysterious Beyond" routine (which is both good and bad). We've come to expect Littlefoot and Co to normally stumble across something out of the oridinary (normally in the MB) but this LBT seems a lot "closer to home" in the sense that they don't wander too far from the Valley. Songs were cute and touching.

Overall, I enjoyed this LBT. I liked the ethics and general "coping with family issues" morals to this sequel. Definitely one of my more likeable LBTs although I do think that a certain amount of what we enjoyed about the previous LBTs seems to have escaped this instalment. The sense of adventure seems to have dwindled a little in my opinion despite the little action scenes where Guido starts sleepwalking. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Annother point I forgot to mention in my review is the sharptooth of the movie. Apparently somebody in charge watched Jurrassic Park III and thought a Spinosaurus to be a nice alternative to the standard sharptooth or raptors. I certainly don't object Spinosauruses, but I do object the sad trend to make sharpteeth mere toys for bored kids. Tickeling a sharptooth inside its mouth to get out? Give me a break!
Since LBT 9 we didn't have a decent sharptooth anymore. Perhaps the Degeneration of the sharpteeth is worth an own thread.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 23 2007 on  02:13 AM
Perhaps the Degeneration of the sharpteeth is worth an own thread.
Maybe that could be set up in the Character Discussion board. Even though we're not talking about a specific character, the sharpteeth having the air of "wow! We're even less intelligent then we were [insert number here] movies ago!" is something I've noticed throughout, increasing, as the movies continue.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 23 2007 on  02:13 AM
Annother point I forgot to mention in my review is the sharptooth of the movie. Apparently somebody in charge watched Jurrassic Park III and thought a Spinosaurus to be a nice alternative to the standard sharptooth or raptors.
This is not the only time Universal Studio's other major dinosaur franchise has influenced LBT. Isn't it a coincidence that LBT3 had raptors just after the first Jurassic Park? You also have sound effects from JP in the TV series. Can't think of any more---anyone else here thought of another example?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I remember when I heard LBT 12 was coming out.  I found this out on february 9th and counted the days to the 27th.  I was so eager to see it.  I finally got it on february 29th.  Those 2 days seemed like 2 months!  God I was so excited when It finally came.  I had to spend $19 in shipping but it was well worth it.  I liked this movie a lot better than lbt 11.  I really hated that one because it just didn't seem to have a purpose.  I was very happy the way lbt 12 came out.  It is now one of my favorite movies.  I love all of the great scenes that it has.  The animation is above terrific and the songs were very nice (except for flip flap and fly.  That one was really lame.  I think they put it in there cuz they just needed another song.).  I could do without seeing Guido again but I think he did very well in this movie.  I do not believe however that he should become a member of the GOF.  I think he should be like Mo, Archie, Tickles, and other characters that were only in a couple episodes.  I do think that they will keep him in at least one more sequal.  He just can't be gone on lbt 13.  They never said goodbye.  I guess they could just claim in lbt 13 that he left for some reason and that they should see him again someday.  Anyway, I just wanted to say that lbt 12 was a wonderful movie and it will be on my favorites list for some time to come or until they make a better lbt movie.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Oh I forgot to mention that there is a way to send a movie to someone else via a program called beamfile.  It takes about an hour to download 5GB so since the movies are only 700mb, I estimate it would take 8.4 minutes for someone with cable internet.  With dialup, you should expect it to take at least 2 weeks.  So all of you who are trying to send the link of a torrent, don't bother.  Simply use beamfile and recieve the file in less than 10 minutes.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
this one did a lot for me, it got me into watching them again, I went and dug up all of them, and even watched all 14 (the 2 cartoon episodes that came packaged at some stores, and the Sing Along, for the heck of it ;) ) in the same weekend, and it was also the first one i saw in Spanish, as well as the first one i UNDERSTOOD (at least enough to get the story) in Spanish, I like Petrie's voice better in Spanish :P:

Let's hope this isn't the last one, although i find it odd none of them have grown in size at all really (just always confused me, did all this happen in a span of like 4 years?)

I dunno if this one is acceptable in my home state since the Microraptor species is obviously a link between the herps and the avians