The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Has Petrie become better or worse over the years?

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Today I read something very interesting in a thread.

“ fPetrie started off the series as a cowardly, flightless nobody who annoyed many film critics with his poor attempts at being the comic relief.  However, the sequels slowly improved his character over the years until he became a very likeable character by the time Stone of Cold Fire came out”

I honestly feel the exact opposite. I liked Petrie in the original, but feel he gradually became worse over the course of the sequels. Bizarre, huh? (Although I feel maybe he was finally starting to improve with Journey Of The Brave.)

I don’t know how everyone feels about Petrie, but it would be interesting to know if there are others who feel as strongly about him one way or the other.

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think Petrie was a significantly better character in the original movie. He didn't have that annoying speech quirk of using "me" in place of "I," was a bit less pathetic, and actually had a character arc, limited as it was by the runtime of the film.
"This song is new to me, but I am honored to be a part of it."
-Solanum

The Mr. E's science advisor and the GoF's resident spaceflight enthusiast

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
I think he's remained the same. Though I did find him a little irritating in Stone of Cold Fire.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 05:57:39 PM by LittleDas75 »

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I didn’t mind him in the first, but he wore out his welcome in every subsequent film. I don’t think he got worse though, I think he was equally annoying at all times

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
How nice to see I inadvertently started a Petrie conversation. :)petrie

And, ... um, wow, am I really the only one who thought Petrie was better in the sequels?  Uh, that would certainly make me feel like an oddball.  :petrie

In a way, I see Petrie as a diamond in the rough, since I have a soft spot for smaller sidekick characters who get their occasional moment in the spotlight, which Petrie did in the 12th film.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

In a way, I see Petrie as a diamond in the rough, since I have a soft spot for smaller sidekick characters who get their occasional moment in the spotlight, which Petrie did in the 12th film.

But you called him a “cowardly flightless nobody” in the original and basically said that he was unlikeable before LBT 7. So being a smaller sidekick character meant nothing in 1-6?

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
But you called him a “cowardly flightless nobody” in the original and basically said that he was unlikeable before LBT 7. So being a smaller sidekick character meant nothing in 1-6?

Just to clarify that, he wasn't a "cowardly flightless nobody" in MY eyes, but rather in the eyes of most other characters except the Gang, particularly in Flyer society.  My unfinished Petrie prequel story goes all in on this, stating that Petrie's inability to fly would surely have been considered a shameful disgrace in the eyes of other Flyers prior to the events of the first movie.

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

Just to clarify that, he wasn't a "cowardly flightless nobody" in MY eyes, but rather in the eyes of most other characters except the Gang, particularly in Flyer society.  My unfinished Petrie prequel story goes all in on this, stating that Petrie's inability to fly would surely have been considered a shameful disgrace in the eyes of other Flyers prior to the events of the first movie.

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I frankly did not (and still do not) notice a difference between Petrie in the original and the sequels. It's always been a case of Depending on the Writer for me.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Petrie seemed like a seamless character from the Orig to Sequels. He always has been a favorite of mine. I would suggest I like him more in The Sequels since he has more development as a character.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^Same! I admit to not thinking much of Petrie prior to the seventh sequel, but after that and seeing him in more movies: I love that he has a dry sense of humor. He's not physically strong or all that agile since he's still a baby pterosaur, but he channels his inner Chandler from Friends every now and then.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
^Haha inner Chandler. I must admit I miss Petrie’s nickname for Littlefoot being Flathead in The Orig LBT. For me Petrie’s glory is in LBT XIV, as Czar Petreus I. :D

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Petrie seemed like a seamless character from the Orig to Sequels. He always has been a favorite of mine. I would suggest I like him more in The Sequels since he has more development as a character.

^Same! I admit to not thinking much of Petrie prior to the seventh sequel, but after that and seeing him in more movies: I love that he has a dry sense of humor. He's not physically strong or all that agile since he's still a baby pterosaur, but he channels his inner Chandler from Friends every now and then.

Finally!  Someone who agrees with me!  :)petrie :petrieLOL

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
For some reason it never clicked that with LBT I making Petrie and Ducky sorta a thing, its like a bird and fish in love, well Pterosaur and Duckbill, lol “I am a slow learner,” (Anakin, EpII)

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe I’ve been too hard on Petrie in a lot of these movies. I guess part of the reason is I find his voice being pitch-shifted (?) makes him sound too whiny in my opinion, and the transition to digital coloring didn’t suit him. I guess it’s not enough to really define his character by, but I felt one of his two “spotlight” movies (LBT 7) was one of his weaker ones, unfortunately.