The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions to Malte

Malte279 · 230 · 20422

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are some questions to which I am ill suited to give any response. For example people who know me will be aware that I am very careful about the use of superlatives as in the responses to questions such as "what is your favorite book / movie etc.?" as I dislike degrading everything else not described with such a superlative.
Same as everyone else there are also some questions which I might not want to answer. But usually there is no harm in asking a question even if it may not be possible to answer them. So here is a thread to ask me any questions on which you would like to know my response.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Have you read Atlas Shrugged? What was your opinion of it?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hehe, it's okay. ;)

Hmm let's see...how much fun are you having at Lillefot's place? hehe

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I haven't heard of Atlas Shrugged so far.
As for the fun at Gustav's place, I know not of a measure unit to which one could apply anything countable as "how much", but I can assure you it is a LOT of fun :lol:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What was the last book you read, and what was your opinion about it?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like Star Trek though I cannot claim being enough into it as to name me a fan. I did not see all Star Trek movies / series out there. I do not think it makes for a good crossing over with the land before time.

Right now I am reading two books. One of which I actually borrowed from Jason who is reading it at the same time. The book is Angels and Demons (the movie Illuminati is based on it). I do find it very entertaining and to some degree educational though some of the stuff offered there as facts needs to be taken with a pinch of salt (e.g. some Christian rituals are claimed to be of Aztec origin which is a claim which doesn't pass the test of a moments thinking as the respective rituals (Transubstantiation in particular) were part of Christian rituals long before Europeans had any contact with the Aztecs).
The other book is a biography of Napoleon Bonaparte. It is not the first one I read and I have to read further to make up my mind about it. So far I didn't find anything new in it.

A list of many of my hobbies is in my profile. I guess history is one of the most defining interests / hobbies of my life. Recently I started playing the harmonica which I like as it is both easy to learn and easy to take along and play wherever you may go. In case of many of my hobbies listed there I must admit that I had not much leisure to pursue them in the last nine months which were dominated by my university work. The hobbies also include many computer games (mostly strategy, building up and rpgs) though it has been a while since a game really hooked me as I feel many are somewhat repetitive. I am not into any first person shooters, so Halo is not one of the games I play.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm going waaay back with this question, but when did you start seeking out LBT fans online (e.g N54 forum)?  You were already pretty established when I showed up.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly, you once said you played Civilization (not sure which version though). Which version(s) have you played (1, 2, 3, or 4), and what is your opinion of the ones you did play?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My "LBT online birthday" so to speak would be August 1st 2000. My first ever post in a land before time forum can still be found in the N54 forum. My LBT "rennaisance" can be dated to December 1998 when LBT 2 and 4 where aired on television in Germany (and I got hold of all the other episodes that had appeared till then the same month. After I joined the N54 forum I remained constantly active there writing relatively elaborate posts (in an "English" that was far from where it is now :lol). So I guess I was sort of established at N54 when you appeared in late August / early September 2002. I did not at that time have any "official" authority over the board. That was given to me by N54 only after there had been some rather ugly attacks on the board and when it was clear that the original founder of the N54 forum could no longer be found. I never had any email contact with the founder of the forum at N54 and I think he did not continue to post at N54 relatively shortly after I appeared there (by the time I found the N54 forum it covered some three or four pages). I tried everything to find the founder of the N54 forum later on, but I never found him. I wonder if he is aware of how far the forum he founded went. Without him the GOF probably wouldn't exist even though I don't think anyone here ever knew him. Sometimes it is amazing how one person can influence the lives of many without noticing and almost without being noticed. Therefore I really want to give that tribute to the founder of the N54 forum, wherever he may be...

I played the original Civilization game and Civiliyation III including the expansion. Apart from that I played some Sid Meier games strongly based on Civilization, the original Colonization and the Colonization based on the Civilization IV engine. I think my favorite Sid Meier game based on the principles of Civilization was Alpha Centauri and its expansion Alien Crossfire. It is really sad that Alpha Centauri proved too complex for most players to become a commercial success comparable to the other games, but the diplomatic possibilities as well as many other aspects in that game seem way more advanced to me than in case of any other Civilization based games I have seen (e.g. I've been very disappointed with the Diplomacy in Civilization III where other nations will refuse just about every trade or alliance suggestion no mater what from the moment you have one or two (or some other set number of) allies). I still enjoyed all of the Civilization games I played and I enjoyed all of them a lot. There was always some room for improvement. In case of Alpha Centauri the main improvement I would have hoped for would have been the possibility to play with more than seven factions.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
English isn't your first language, yet you speak it better than me. Did you take any additional classes apart from regular schooling or learn it on your own?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ He learned it from me back in the day. ;) :p :p

Malte, are you living on your own now?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
English isn't your first language, yet you speak it better than me. Did you take any additional classes apart from regular schooling or learn it on your own?
English is the obligatory second language at schools in Germany. I wasn't very good at any languages at school English was the first subject ever in which I got a 5 on the half years term diploma (a mark which will prevent you from being transferred to the next grade if you have two of them on the final term diploma at the end of the year). However English became ever more of a necessity (a fact which in spite of my problems I never questioned) as many books on my interests (US history for example) are printed in English only and so are most pages of interest in the internet. Anyone who is interested can still check out my messages of 2000 in the N54 LBT forum to verify that my English at that time was much worse than is the case with most of our non-native speaker members who are younger than I was at that time. A five months student's exchange to America in 2002 certainly helped improving my English, but even after that there was still a lot to do. By now many of the books I am reading are in English and the daily reading and posting in the GOF and on MSN certainly did their part. Studying English language at the university also helped ;)
Malte, are you living on your own now?
Currently I'm living with three land before time fans in a lovely cabin in Sweden :p
Regularly though I do live on my own in a nice little cellar suterrain appartment which suits me better than the flatshare where I lived until July 2008 did.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know for a fact that you have only written a few LBT fanfics. (All of which I tend to enjoy quite a bit, myself.) As good as the stories are though, was there ever a time you felt unsatisfied with certain parts of the story?  And if so, what were those parts and why?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How would you describe your humor?
Maybe a bit too complex. Sometimes when I make a joke people don't realize the joke. Sometimes I need to explain references so the comic of the moment of the moment is gone. Luckily this is not the rule and not all of the jokes I come up with are so dreadful :lol
I really enjoy a good laugh and within certain limits of taste I'm perfectly fine with dark humor as well. I must say that gross humor is not my cup of tea and I don't seem to be able to understand the comic in the utterly random kind of humor found in some youtube videos.
I know for a fact that you have only written a few LBT fanfics. (All of which I tend to enjoy quite a bit, myself.) As good as the stories are though, was there ever a time you felt unsatisfied with certain parts of the story? And if so, what were those parts and why?
There sure are plenty of parts in my stories which I am not satisfied with. The first two "The Big Quarrel" and "The Cold Time" include not a single self-created character to begin with (also my English by the time I translated those two was so poor that I am still puzzled that people read them, but as this is more about the contents I will not further comment on the language). As for "The Big Quarrel" I think too much of the story is way too predictable. There is nothing REALLY surprising about the entire storyline. There are moments in both of these stories which I think are a bit too much of a clichÈ for me to be happy with it. Sometimes I'm afraid I did not make characters act the way that would be likely. For example the fear of Ali to be bannished from the herd in "The Big Quarrel". It is just implausible for the kid to be bannished. Or in the Cold Time we have a rather made up reason ("don't scare anyone") for not telling everyone about the sharptooth he and Ali had seen. Sometimes (not always) some of the characters are acting and talking "out of character" I'm afraid.
In some respects I took more care with "Old Threehorns", but I got in a tricky dilemma there in some points moving somewhere along the narrow line of what would and what would not be plausible to happen in a land before time story.
One general weakness of many of my stories is that they are very long winded and sometimes unnecessarily so. Much of the Cold Time is a long chain of events that don't always bring the story forward. In some cases I left passages which I wrote to prepare the stage for later scenes which I then decided not to write leaving the prepared stage sort of dangling in midair.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
When are you planning to post the next chapter of "The Cold Time"? :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How difficult was college when you first came in as a freshman? How difficult was it at the end?