The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ghost Mama Longneck

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ok, this is never explained in LBT at all and we have yet to see a repeat of it.  It seems that Littlefoot got some posthumous visits or words from his mom.  He's the only one.  Petrie's dad,  Cera's mom, and Spike's parents never talk to them, that we know of.  

Also, do you think Mama Longneck still talks to Littlefoot sometimes?  

Her posthumous appearances are as bizarre (there is no natural explanation for them) as the Rainbow Faces in film VII.  

Ducky_is_best_dino

• Ruby
    • View Profile
/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:26:46 PM by Ducky_is_best_dino »

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I don't think his mother was a hallucination, if only because "Cloud" Mama Longneck guided him right to the Great Valley. Coincidences like that DO NOT HAPPEN, even in fiction. Of course, we'd have to get the writers' and Bluth's word on this to be sure.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Reminds me a bit of Rafiki's sarcasm in the lion king (after Simba saw Mufasa also as a cloud image): "What was that? The weather? Very peculiar, don't you think?"

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Mar 11 2015 on  09:39 AM
Ok, this is never explained in LBT at all and we have yet to see a repeat of it.  It seems that Littlefoot got some posthumous visits or words from his mom.  He's the only one.  Petrie's dad,  Cera's mom, and Spike's parents never talk to them, that we know of.  

Also, do you think Mama Longneck still talks to Littlefoot sometimes?  

Her posthumous appearances are as bizarre (there is no natural explanation for them) as the Rainbow Faces in film VII.
We don't know for sure if their parents are dead, though.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think we can safely say Cera's mom is, otherwise Daddy Tops wouldn't be a bachelot for LBTs 2-whenever Tria showed up.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ruby2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jun 22 2015 on  01:07 AM
I think we can safely say Cera's mom is, otherwise Daddy Tops wouldn't be a bachelot for LBTs 2-whenever Tria showed up.
Ducky's mom believed Spike's parents to be dead.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I've always thought it was a combination of PTSD-ridden visions (I don't want to call them hallucinations, per se) and Littlefoot's natural instinct. Correct me if I'm wrong (I have not seen the first movie in a while), but I believe Littlefoot's mother said something about a dinosaur always being able to find the Great Valley? If so, he must've been following his heart along with those visions. If that's incorrect, he was still able to find the landmarks pointed out to him by his mother, so he was still on the right track, regardless.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Good I found this thread.

I always wanted to know what other people think about Mama Longneck's supernatural form.

And did Don Bluth&Co talk about it somewhere? Was it just after-effect of little longneck's mental trauma or there WAS presence of some supernatural thing?

what do you think?
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sangiban

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Aug 5 2015 on  10:47 PM
I've always thought it was a combination of PTSD-ridden visions (I don't want to call them hallucinations, per se) and Littlefoot's natural instinct. Correct me if I'm wrong (I have not seen the first movie in a while), but I believe Littlefoot's mother said something about a dinosaur always being able to find the Great Valley? If so, he must've been following his heart along with those visions. If that's incorrect, he was still able to find the landmarks pointed out to him by his mother, so he was still on the right track, regardless.
I reckon it was meant to be ambiguous whether Littlefoot was 'hallucinating' or whether he was having real visions (much like the movie adaptation of "The Shining"). After all, Littlefoot was alone both times (it could be more- my memory's foggy) he saw his mother's ghost. Whether intentional or not, the concept was a very smart one. I just wish it had received a bit more emphasis. It would definitely make for good comic book or fanfiction material.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I honestly assume that each character has at least 1 deceased parent if not both. I could be wrong..
8 years with TGOF :yum

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Jun 19 2016 on  11:23 AM
I honestly assume that each character has at least 1 deceased parent if not both. I could be wrong..
I always assumed so too since we never got to see Ducky's and Petrie's fathers in the original.

Sangiban

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,Jun 19 2016 on  08:16 AM
I always assumed so too since we never got to see Ducky's and Petrie's fathers in the original.
I figure Petrie and Ducky's fathers died before they were born. Otherwise, it would be odd for Petrie and Ducky not to miss them at all.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Funny, yesterday I wanted to bump this topic.

So, on what side do you guys keep the most? hallucinations, or afterlife ghosts?

Quote from: Sangiban,Jun 19 2016 on  11:41 AM
I figure Petrie and Ducky's fathers died before they were born. Otherwise, it would be odd for Petrie and Ducky not to miss them at all.
Excuse me. There IS Ducky's father in original movie. At the beginning and at the end of the movie. (and if I'm correct, we can see him in some sequels)
6/14
0/26

Sangiban

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Jun 19 2016 on  10:36 AM
Funny, yesterday I wanted to bump this topic.

So, on what side do you guys keep the most? hallucinations, or afterlife ghosts?

Quote from: Sangiban,Jun 19 2016 on  11:41 AM
Excuse me. There IS Ducky's father in original movie. At the beginning and at the end of the movie. (and if I'm correct, we can see him in some sequels)
Yes, I stand corrected. Ducky's father appears in LBT I, II, and V, though he then disappears for the rest of the series.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sangiban,Jun 19 2016 on  03:22 PM
Yes, I stand corrected. Ducky's father appears in LBT I, II, and V, though he then disappears for the rest of the series.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there ever was a direct confirmation that the other adult swimmer, often seen standing next to Ducky's mom is actually her mate. And they look pretty alike, unless my memory deceives me... Could be another female. :)

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
^

The adult Swimmer might have been her sister because I remember in LBT 12 that Ducky says she has an aunt, if I were to guess then I'd say that the Swimmer in V is most likely to be Ducky's father as he has a vastly different colour to her mother. I do think Ducky has a father but I have no idea about Petrie's father, all we can do is speculate.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
It is complex.

I absolutely sure there was Ducky's father, at least in context of original movie.
Why would Don Bluth and Co replace father with sisters?
well, they could, but where's confirmed that adult threehorn next to Topps is his mate? Or Ducky's mother is actually her mother, not her aunt because her mother died?
I'm sure we saw both parents of Cera and Ducky, and lone mothers of Littlefoot and Petrie (and poor Petrie still hadn't his birth scene in introduction, why? We don't even know maybe there was place for his father in early stages of movie)

About Ducky's father absence and skin coloring. Creators of sequels don't dig too deep into details. Character can change its color, its own character can be changed, its siblings can be missing, its actions can be absurd...

but still:
6/14
0/26

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Aug 21 2016 on  10:13 PM
but still:
I think it's neither of those things. Following the movie's narrative it's supposed to be like... A part of Littlefoot's mother's soul surviving in his heart and memories or something like that?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's not known whether the dark green coloured swimmer shown in LBT 1 & LBT 5 is Ducky's father. I personally believe it could very well be him.

As for Littlefoot's mother, I'm sure it's her spirit we see - that little part of her guiding Littlefoot in his heart finally showing herself to her son.
Inactive, probably forever.