The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fact or Crap!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If you post your Fact or Crap idea here within the next few hours pokeplayer this is perfectly fine with me :)
If you don't I'll come up with the next one in about ten hours from now on.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry pokeplayer, next time then, or if you answer this fact or crap correctly.
Fact or Crap:
Most of the hundreds of American civilians killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor were killed by Japanese fighter planes strafing them.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Crap!  Only 60 civilians died at Pearl Harbor and most of them died from falling debris.  I've heard this countless times on the History Channel.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Double Crap indeed. There were 68 civilians killed at Pearl Harbor and 35 wounded. Many of the civilian casualties were in fact killed by American anti-aircraft shells that fell back onto Honolulu. I confess this Fact or Crap question of mine was partly motivated by the movie Pearl Harbor. I reckon I should add a post about that particular movie in the war in movies thread.
Your turn F-14.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
>_< Ah, dang it!  I just couldn't get on yesterday because my little brother hogged the computer!  :angry: :angry: :angry: :mad

And today will be rather difficult due to the fact that I have work. :( *sighs* life can be so unfair sometimes. :cry

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The book in question was called the "Sinking of the Titan".(Refering to the question before the last one)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, fact or crap
The Lusitania was carrying weapons when it was torpedoed just as the crew of the u-boat suspected.

Here is a second one.
Fact or crap
The Lusitania was actually sunk by a second explosion and may have survived the torpedo hit.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The first claim is a fact. Not that it would cast a better light on anyone, but the Louisitania did carry ammunition.
As for that second explosion claim I admit that I don't know it myself and according to what the internet provides the matter is still controversial. John Light claims there must've been such an explosion, Robert Ballart claims there can't have been. Either of them will know more about the Louisitania as I do (and so will you F-14). So I reckon I'm going to learn something here :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Having read a little more it seems that there was a second explosion (so it would be fact) but they don't know for sure if it was the ammunition exploding, or if coal dust whirled up by the torpedo hit caused it, or if it was a steam explosion created by sea-water pouring onto the hot machinery.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
According to a book I have, Ballard claimed that the ammunition was intact and the torpedo apparently tore open a coal bunker.  He thought it was the coal dust but I heard on the History Channel that coal dust was watered down to prevent it from being ignited by sparks from machinery.  It is unlikely that the dust could have ignited.  I think the explosion was caused by the boilers exploding.  However, we may never know because the ship was depth charged by the Irish Navy for target practice and any trace of the cause of the second explosion has probably been lost.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You are probably right F-14. Now who has the next question?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ALright, here is a Star Wars one.
Fact or crap
After Mark Hamill had a motercycle accident, he was badly scarred up. So to explain Luke suddenly having scars in Empire Strikes Back, they made it so that a snow beast attacks Luke and he has the scars as a result of that.  Fact or crap?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I have seen that movie before, but based on the fact that I can't remember it much, I'm gonna have to take a wild guess and break my own rules for once.

FACT!

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I know this isn't part of the topic but I need to get the bio thing sorted out so I can start my story off. all i need is it to be sorted and the pesonally messegers are going unanswered to sort it out as well. It will take only a few minutes of your time. please sort it out so I can begin.

-Threehorn

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
pokeplayer984 is correct. It is fact.  I'm not sure where I heard that.  It may have been the commentary on the dvd.  Your turn, pokeplayer984.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes!

Okay, here we go!

Fact or Crap: (Note: Due to this one being about religon, and some of you wanting nothing to do with that sort of thing, I will accept a wild guess.)

Wilford Wooddruff was the first Latter-Day Saint Prophet to record his own voice.

Oh, and Threehorn, I have posted the personality a few hours ago.  I hope you can understand it enough to work with as she is a tough one just to work with in the end.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I don't understand it, but why isn't anyone guessing the Fact or Crap! statement?

Maybe you just didn't see it.

Here it is again...

Fact or Crap!:

Wilford Wooddruff was the first Latter-Day Saint Prophet to record his own voice.

Look at that, nicely bolded this time! :^.^:

Hope you can see it better now. -_-

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No problem with being unable to see or read as far as I am concerned.
I checked for it the day you posted it. I found no mention of any voice recordings while due to the ambiguity of the English word "record" I got heaps of religious material which I admit I was not particularly keen to read all through. Searching for the keyword "voice" in the texts also got me only information on what the "voice of the Lord" is supposed to be saying rather than anything about the voice of that Mr. Woodruff.
Only thing that would make the whole statement definitely Crap is the spelling. The guys name was Wilford Woodruff, not Wilford Wooddruff (cut out a d); but I expect that to be a typo rather than the point of making it fact or crap.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd say it is crap since I could find no information about him recording his own voice.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, Malte, that was a typo indeed.

Okay, here's the actual truth guys.

The answer is... FACT!

I know what you're saying.  I too searched endlessly for a webpage that had such information, and found none.  Also, as far as I know, there is NO book that exists that proves this information.  The ONLY thing that has this proff is a little 2 minute video showing multiple pictures of him, with his own voice rerecorded right into it.  Which was his own testimony on Joseph Smith and the Latter-Day Saint Church.

He used, what he called, "a talking machine."

:lol Such simplicity.  He didn't even know the name for it, and yet, he figured out some way, quite quickly, to make us understand what he was using.

Trust me, I didn't even plan this one.  I just knew the answer without having to look up all the information.  Let's just say I'm as surprised as you guys are. :^.^:

If you must know the WHEN, it was the last year of his life, age 91.  Before the illness that killed him took over.  I don't have an exact date of when it was recorded, but it was indeed within the last year of his life.

He was indeed the first Latter-Day Saint Prophet to record his own voice.  Though there is only one piece of information that proves this, it is enough in the end.

Since no one could guess it right.  The next one is a free for all.

ANYONE can post a Fact or Crap! statement.

Though remember, only the FIRST one posted will count.