The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is your favourite Mythology?

Saft · 24 · 3803

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah...I know, this topic has no substance.  It is just a simple matter of curiosity.

What is your favourite mythology?

My own answer is rather complex as I enjoy most mythologies.  My primary 'areas of expertise' (if you will) are Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythology.  

You?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
None.  I dislike all mythology.  The settings and themes are so far removed, they're not even relevant anymore.  Reading primitive stories made up by people to explain natural things is hardly what I would consider an efficient use of my time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't have one single favorite myth, but that is for my caution about favorites / superlatives rather than for depriciation of myths. While there are some that come mostly down to the level of modern day action movies there are many that deal with a lot more complex issues and also allow for different interpretations.
The relationship issues in the Arthurs sagas (Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot as well as Arthur and Mordred) are quite up to date in many cases (it needn't always be kings) and the modern adaptation "The once and future king" offers a very modern view of it too. Issues of divided loyalties are a problem today as then (most dramatically shown with the character R¸diger of Bechelaren in the Nibelungen song), sagas often include such modern troubles like conflicts between morals and realpolitics (again the Nibelungen song does offer examples, as do the sagas about El Cid campeador (which by the way have a solid historic core).
Allow me one question Austin. How many sagas do you know? Did you read any sagas at all or only some modern movie adaptations?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,May 4 2011 on  12:15 PM
None.  I dislike all mythology.  The settings and themes are so far removed, they're not even relevant anymore.  Reading primitive stories made up by people to explain natural things is hardly what I would consider an efficient use of my time.
There is such thing as reading for fun, you know. Reading doesn't have to be educational. It can be enjoyable. Just because a story isn't a true one doesn't mean it isn't worth your time. Try to enjoy a story instead of searching through one to try to learn something.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Heck, one wouldn't believe it, but some sagas even pick up the very up to date topic of religious tolerance (the saga circle around Parcival).

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Some mythology stories also have morals and values to them that can be  relatable even in this day and age.
Some myths inspire people to expand their imagination, their behaviour etc.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or how about the Legend of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnel which is about the question what women want, kind of up to date, isn't it? ;)
The saga of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has just so much awesomeness to it and gives a lot to think about. Much comes down to the ever true statement that perfection is what we may strife for but that basically nobody is perfect.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
lbtlover, you are a real killjoy.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Being atheist, I consider Christianity under the same banner as the other myths. Personally, Greek and Roman mythology are my favorites. But there are a few interesting Chinese myths too. Not to mention the Christian creation myth in the Book of Genesis.

And Lbtlover, do you read for entertainment at all?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Speaking of which, Norse Mythology would be my favorite
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,May 4 2011 on  02:35 PM
And Lbtlover, do you read for entertainment at all?
Very rarely when I have the time, yes.  But the last thing I'd want to read about is mythology.  The older the stories, the worse they are (in my opinion).  I'm all for fantasy, but mythology is just so simple it's boring beyond compare.  And when it's to explain natural phenomena it's just corny.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd say the Greek and some of the Arthurian Sagas.  I like what little I've heard of the Norse & I've heard nothing of the Egyptian except for most of their gods, except for a few stories, some of them contradictory.  I guess due to some being earlier and some done by the sect or religion who hates this one, like the horus and set one.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I enjoy both Greek and Roman mythology.  "The Odyssey" still stands as my favorite ;).  

Not sure if this is off-topic, but I also enjoy Aesop's fables.  In fact, it was Aesop who inspired me to start writing.  I was in the third grade when I read a few of his fables, and started writing fables of my own before branching off into other forms of writing :yes.  Besides inspiring me to become a writer, I also appreciate him for creating fables to begin with.  Otherwise, we would've never had anything like LBT.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sorry for what you are missing out on Austin. How can you even know about the quality of sagas without having even read them at all. I'm afraid this is a case of prejudice you convinced yourself to be true without verifying. Of course it is quite possible for someone to read sagas and find that they are not ones cup of tea (though somewhat less likely from someone who enjoys fantasy which to a good deal is based on ancient sagas) but to be certain about this without having read any fullfiles the criteria of prejudice.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
As the saying goes, LBTLover, "don't knock it until you try it". In other words, before you judge mythologies so negatively, actually take the time to read some first. To judge the mythologies without reading them is the same thing as someone hating a movie (like Land Before Time) without even watching it. You have no basis upon which to dislike them with. The only thing you have is the fact they aren't based on reality, but that alone shouldn't be enough to condemn the stories. The only way you can fairly judge them is by reading them. With the way you are keeping yourself away from fictional stories just because they are fictional, I feel sorry for you; you're really missing out.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, the only one I've really had a chance to read are Greco-Roman mythology stories. And I do find them pretty entertaining. All the old classics, like the Odyssey, the Aeneid, the Iliad, Ovid's Metamorposes. Odyssey is probably my favourite though, simly because it's actually well written and holds up by modern standards
I do Classical Civilisation in school, so I have to learn alot of this stuff.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You are missing out on something LBTlover but we can't force you to read if you are unwilling.  Perhaps one day you will but it is your choice..

----------------

Anyway back to the discussion.  Also thank you for responding.:)

What are some of the stories that you like from the variety of mythology that people have mentioned?  Do you have a specfic character that you identify with?

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My favorites are Greek,Norse and Egyptian Mythology, Homer's "The Odyessy" is my bible.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've read a lot of mythology.  It was all pretty bad.  Being based on something is much different than the original in most cases.  I love fantasy books and movies.  But liking mythology is like liking an old 286 machine (for those of you that were alive back when those were still mainstream).  Sure I love computers.  And all computers are based off that x86 architecture.  But just because I love computers doesn't mean I want to sit down on an old DOS 286 machine and use it all day.  It's old, stale, and boring.  You couldn't even view a picture on those old computers, let alone a movie.  Mythology is a lot like that nowadays.....obsolete and impractical.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yet Mighty Thor made one hell of a good movie.