The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your favorite video games of 2018

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The year is wrapping up and we have been blessed with some amazing games. Can you name your favorites?

I've got a couple myself:
  • Parkitect - Really capturing that spirit that hooked me on Rollercoaster Tycoon as a kid. Loved every minute of it so far.
  • Graveyard Keeper - While a bit repetitive at times, this unique simulation game has a lovely art style. It is also really satisfying when you finally unlock a new area or ability.
  • Overcooked 2 - RAAAAAAAAH.... Such a fun game to play with friends  :lol
  • ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission - This PlayStation VR game truly makes you think outside of the box and makes full use of VR capabilities. Videos do not do it justice, you really have to experience it yourself.
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee!
    Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! - A beautiful recreation of the very first Pokémon game, with many fun quirks and several gameplay choices that I'd love to see in the next main game.
  • Special mention to They Are Billions, that technically got released late last year, but is also still in early access so the release date is debatable. I poured many hours into this Age of Empires meets Zombies game and have still not been able to beat the higher levels.
PlayStation has received many other amazing games, such as Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2, but I have not been able to give those a shot as of yet. One day...!

I'll add more to this list as I remember them  :)littlefoot
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:15:45 AM by Mumbling »

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Red Dead Redemption II and Jurassic World Evolution are my favorite games from this year. Spider-Man is one I have but have not played much yet, so I can't really say if it's one of my favorites for sure as of writing.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Celeste: I didn't think too much about this game going into it. I mostly just got it since it was the same developers and similar mechanics to Towerfall so I figured it would be a fun distraction. Turns out the game is completely amazing. I usually jokingly say that it's a platformer with difficulty similar to Super Meat Boy, except that it's actually enjoyable to look at and to listen to :p For a game built on being one of those tough platforming types, it also surprisingly has an interesting story to it that touches on themes you don't see too often in games. The game also tries it's best to prevent frustration with it's generous checkpoints and overall non cheap feeling level design. I rarely felt angry throughout my 45 hour, 6000+ death experience (There are a few post game collectables that involve beating levels without dying that can get bothersome. I only ever got around 5 of them before giving up on it haha) Easily GotY for me and I was glad to see it win Best Indie Game and Best Impact at the Game Awards.

Octopath Traveler: I had my eye on this game ever since it first got announced with it's hybrid art style of pixel art and 3D environments, coupled with the fact that it was made by the same people that did the Bravely Default series. While I wish it incorporated more diversity in jobs and better story, the battle system was very fun and had a great ost. Game kinda dragged in the middle a bit and felt a little easy overall but the final boss was one of the most satisfying bosses I've experienced in years. It wrapped together all of the stories together and ended with a really challenging boss that had a bunch of interesting mechanics to it. It really felt like you needed to have an intimate understanding of the battle system to overcome it.

Quick shout out to Xenoblade 2 as it came out very late last year. I wouldn't put it quite up there with the first game but it was a very solid JRPG that kept me busy until Octopath came out :p

Though I never played them, I did get to watch my roommates play a good chunk of God of War, Red Dead 2, and Spider Man. God of War had me worried at first when they revealed it. It looked like they were needlessly converting the game into an open world. It's good to see that the game put my fears to rest and turned out to be great. Both Red Dead and Spider Man looked decent as well but I tend to not enjoy open world games as much as the story still forces a linear progression and you end up playing a game of connect the dots going from point A to B to C.

I actually won't put in Smash due to it's recent release, even if I have already put in 50+ hours into the game haha. Maybe I'll throw it into the 2019 list next year :lol