The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 73180

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, it's June and I guess that means that the June prompt is up now. Should we begin thinking of our prompt ideas for others or have the plans changed?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
wow, that's mean 3 challenges are running at the same time :o
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, everyone, just to clarify we do indeed have three competitions running at the moment.  You are invited to make entries into as many of these as you want, and we all look forward to what you come up with.  :yes

April 2018 (Until June 15)
Write a comedy or crack fic; OR use this in the story: "Unlike the others, he/she preferred the dark.”

May 2018 (Until June 15)
Incorporate the following phrase into your story: “when the bright circle rose the next day, it rose over a very different Great Valley.”

June 2018 (June 1 – July 15) [only those who PM me with a prompt proposal by 11:59pm on June 9 forum time will be permitted to participate in this one]
Everyone writes a prompt of their own choosing, then the prompts are shuffled and redistributed back to the writers. The writers must then do a story based on their new prompt!

As for the June one, this is something a bit new.  So I would like all of those who want to compete in the June prompt to PM me your own proposed prompt by June 9th and then I will shuffle them and give them back to the participants who PMed me.  And, just for reference, I plan on participating as well so one of you might end up with my proposal. I promise to not make it too cruel.  :p
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:07:50 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com

Horizon

• Ruby
  • Formerly known as "Fyn16"
    • View Profile
I may give this a whirl too. I've been sort of distant from the prompt challenge as of late, since my writing and reading focus has been elsewhere, but I think it couldn't hurt to give our little "prompt roulette" a shot!

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I’ll give this a shot as well! :)
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, everyone, it is now time for those of us who contributed a prompt to the June challenge to begin our respective prompts.  Due to the delay (in order to get the prompts in) this contest will continue until July 31st. So, without further delay, let's now see what prompt everyone has received during the random shuffling... drum roll

DiddyKF1
“write a story that takes place underneath the sea.”

Ducky123
In the series we have seen numerous examples of herd-specific rituals (namely in the case of the flyers - Great Day of the Flyers - and the longnecks - the Big Longneck Test) but we have not seen much elaboration on the ways of sharpteeth, threehorns, or fastrunners.  Write a story that explores a test, ritual, cultural event, or coming-of-age event involving Chomper, Ruby, and/or Cera.

jassy
Insert the following at any point during the story: "After what had happened, one thing seemed certain, and it was that life in the Great Valley would never feel the same again."

Sovereign
"What if the gang never reached the great valley? Write a story in which the gang of five do not reach the great valley. Is it going to be a tragic tale of failure, will our heroes still end up with a happy ending? It is all up to you! You may start the story at any time of the LBT 1 movie which also means you are completely free to choose at which point of the story things begin to deter from the original storyline"

DarkWolf91
At least once in our lives, most of us face a phenomenon our minds can’t even begin to understand. Write a LBT story that revolves around the theme of the unknown and the implications that follow an unexplainable event of your choice.

rhombus
We've seen a lot of issues of culture and inheritance in LBT, but these things are not always received the same way by the next generation. Whether it's a title, territory, or simply their heritage, depict a character embracing or struggling with something they consider to be their birthright.

Good luck, everyone! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.  :) Also keep in mind that the following prompts are still in progress:

April 2018 (Until June 15)
Write a comedy or crack fic; OR use this in the story: "Unlike the others, he/she preferred the dark.”

May 2018 (Until June 15)
Incorporate the following phrase into your story: “when the bright circle rose the next day, it rose over a very different Great Valley.”
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:46:34 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
 oh boy, and I got the worst possible prompt  :bang

Well, I registered so I've gotta somehow do this  :bolt

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Well, I guess it's time for me to watch Journey to Big Water again...
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I did manage to finish my April's Prompt entry at last. I hope it's okay to upload tomorrow as I'd like to give it one more thorough read before publishing it, however I doubt anything great would come out of it at 5 am in the morning feeling half dead :P it's been a rough week after all haha.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I did manage to finish my April's Prompt entry at last. I hope it's okay to upload tomorrow as I'd like to give it one more thorough read before publishing it, however I doubt anything great would come out of it at 5 am in the morning feeling half dead :P it's been a rough week after all haha.

That's fine.  :yes I will probably be without Internet access for the next 24 hours so I will be inputting any final April and May entries to the masterlist when I get back on Sunday, before officially commencing the voting period for those months.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:10:06 AM by rhombus »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone!

Though I regret that neither Fyn or I could directly participate in the last two months of prompts, I was pleased with the outpouring of creative expression that came from all of you over the last two months.  :) As Ducky was the only one to post a response for April he wins that month by default and he may add a star to his existing banner by using the image attached to the end of this post. (I think you chose Taunt as your banner before - but if you want to use one of the other icons or request a commission from Darkwolf then let me know)

As for the May prompt responses, we have four strong entries to consider.  As always, everyone who participated in the May prompt may cast a vote for anyone but themselves for the work they feel was the most deserving from that month's entries.  The other participants (if they do not already have a participation banner) can then obtain one of the zero-star participation banners found here: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15338.msg458986#msg458986 . As soon as everyone votes I will announce the winner.  The entries for the May prompt response were as follows:

Waters Rise, Illness Flies
Author: DiddyKF1
Description: My entry for the May challenge prompt on Gang of Five. The Days of Rising Waters begins again, but the end of the Cold Time becomes a time to dread, particularly for Petrie. With heavy rainfall comes chaos, and only Littlefoot and Ducky can save Petrie from an illness that is creeping around the Great Valley. Contains slight DuckyxPetrie.

Under the Stars
Author: jassy
Description: Response to the May 2018 Gang of Five writing prompt - Tristan finds out the hard way just what solitude can do to him. Set in the universe of The Heart Of The Great Valley.

Generation upon Generation
Author: Sovereign
Description: Many centuries after their ancestors' arrival into their home, the dinosaurs of the Great Valley struggle to survive under an increasingly hostile climate. When the herds finally reach a breaking point in the former paradise, a certain spiketail has to make a decision that concludes a dying era in the Valley's history but also offers a chance for its true legacy to live on.

The Legacy of the Lone Dinosaur
Author: Ducky123
Description: The Great Valley hadn't always been that amazing community between all sorts of species coexisting and working together in harmony. Long long ago, there was a time where the valley was quite different from how it was now. Granted, it was just as much of a paradise back then but it was every herd for itself. Each herd solved things their own way and stuck to themselves. Dinosaurs coexisted in relative peace that was founded on mutual ignorance. However, that was about to change when a dramatic catastrophy struck the Valley many many years ago...

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's always great to have a vote in this challenge. :yes This time, I feel that jassy's Under the Stars is the strongest entry due to its simple but effective plot as well as its nice character moments. :smile

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I think that Ducky123's Legacy of the Lone Dinosaur was the best one here. It might have been short with no dialogue, but it makes up for it with the excellent narrative that makes it such an all-friendly story. :)
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Wow, my first time getting to vote. How exciting! :D I didn’t get a chance to leave a review, but I believe that Sovereign’s Generation upon Generation was the strongest entry for this month’s challenge. It flowed nicely, and the I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity in the different characters. :)
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
uhh, I think it's about time to catch up on some reading... :oops

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well this should be interesting...

After reading all three stories, I think each of us would deserve to win for various reasons. Personally, DiddyKF1's story moved me the most while having solid writing and while meeting the prompt quite well. Thus I will vote for his story. Have fun breaking the tie  :OhYou

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Urgh... a four way tie.  Maybe I can run away and pretend like this did not happen.  :bolt

... but alas no.  :p

I shall inform Horizon (Fyn) of this development and we will inform all of you once a consensus is reached. I just ask that you all be patient as Fyn is incredibly busy and I am now pulling 60-hour weeks at work, so it may take a bit before we can give the stories another read-through.