The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart Prompt Challenge Discussion

Ducky123 · 455 · 55867

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I really like rhombus' idea of a somewhat continuous creative challenge to keep the GoF's creative masterminds busy so, in cooperation with him, I will host a fanart version of his fanart challenge, yep, yep, yep! The challenge will be purely for fun and aims at improving your art skills - whether beginner or pro, it doesn't matter :)

But I won't be hosting this alone. RockingScorpion is going to assist me :yes

Well, let's talk facts:

1. There will be a prompt every 2 months for the time being. I have this feeling that one prompt per month might be a bit too stressful for some but if it turns out to be too slow, we can always pick up speed.

The prompt can be a word, a name or a short sentence. Maybe even a quote? Examples could be
... word: Friendship
... name: Mr. Thicknose
... short sentence: The gang is in danger.
... etc.

At any case, there will be a few words to explain the prompt and to give some guidance :)

2. Anybody can participate! The only requirement is, that the artwork is uploaded here on the GoF. Besides, you will need to specify that the drawing was made specially for this contest in the Author's Note of your artwork (no using old artworks! ^^spike). Also, while only one artwork may be entered for voting, we encourage to create more entries if you have more than one idea. In such a case, you will have to state, which one to be voted for though.

3. As far as art mediums go, anything goes. From clay figure to pencil n' paper, from paper folding to digital or a good ol' watercolour painting and anything inbetween :)

4. It would be great if you let us know that you are planning to contribute your artwork so we can determine if we're still expecting more entries or not.

5. Once you've finished your entry, please PM me with a link to the artwork. Please do not use this thread for that. The links to the finished entries will be collected in the masterlist thread

6. After the end of each challenge, participants may vote for the best entry based on creativity and quality (creativity should be more important though :)). Voting will be held in the voting thread . Of course, voting for yourself is a big nope, nope, nope :smile
The prize for winning will be the permanent feature in the masterlist thread as well as the privilege to come up with the next prompt (if you don't want/don't know what to choose, Rockingscorpion and I will take the turn instead)

We really hope this will help some of you artists out there to improve and have fun expanding your horizon... and I hope it goes better than my last contest :angel

If you have questions concerning the contest in general, the voting, the prompt or just anything, this is the place to ask us, yep, yep, yep :)

I will post the first prompt RockingScorpion and I agreed upon shortly. It will always be posted in the masterlist thread however it will also be mentioned here.
Inactive, probably forever.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
First prompt for you, let's start easy and get the hang of it, shall we? :)

Draw your favourite character. You may have them interact with other characters of your choice and you are free to draw him/her/them in any scene you like. Be creative :)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I fully intend to take part in this event! Should give me something fun to do while the prompt challenge is going on, and since I've been telling myself I'll get back into drawing, this is the perfect kick in the pants for me! My only question- does it have to be the character as he/she appears in the series, or can it be our interpretation of said character?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I fully intend to take part in this event! Should give me something fun to do while the prompt challenge is going on, and since I've been telling myself I'll get back into drawing, this is the perfect kick in the pants for me! My only question- does it have to be the character as he/she appears in the series, or can it be our interpretation of said character?
If rhombus decided to draw Taunt (just theoretically) from his fanfics, that'd be perfectly fine. If he'd draw Littlefoot as a sharptooth, that'd be just as fine. In other words, yes you can draw them as you interprete them :yes And, OC's are okay too if you happen to have an OC as your favourite character :lol

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Fyn16,Jan 3 2017 on  08:17 PM
 :wow

You just made my day! Let's do this!

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Hmmm, I think I might be able to do a drawing every two months! But with my track record... we'll see :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome! I hope you can make it!  ^^spike

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Can we use the discussion thread to post work in progress pictures? I have no need to keep my project a secret.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uhh, why not? Just no finished works :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Guys, this is still a thing.... just saying. :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uhh, if nobody submits anything until tomorrow, Fyn is going to win by default. How disappointing that would be...  :rolleyes:

Fanartists, where are you?! rhombus and Fyn's fanfiction challenge is running well and the fanart challenge is a disaster so far  :(petrie

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Come on, people! I don't want to win this! I know there are some quality artists out there vastly more deserving of this victory! Where are you?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Looks like I'll have to think of something. I'll talk to RockingScorpion later and see what we'll do with this prompt challenge...

But just let that sink, guys... Fyn is not one of the regular fanartists here yet he's the only one who participated. I'm not sure whether to be sad or angry about it right now. It takes less time to make fanart than write a story in many cases yet... oh I'll stop rambling nvm  <_<

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
ANNOUNCEMENT

I am going to extend the prompt challenge by another month, hoping that some more artists are going to make a contribution even if it's just a small one. Can I count on you? :)

New deadline will be March 31st 11:59 PM (American Time, I guess)

Remember the prompt is still very simple: Draw your favourite character. You may have them interact with other characters of your choice and you are free to draw him/her/them in any scene you like. Be creative

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep 4.5 weeks is gone And still nothing. Hey people have busy life's that takes away from free time

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We have two entries as can be seen in the masterlist

(in case you didn't notice, Darkwolf91 entered this drawing of Mo

I was debating about drawing something too but I wanted to draw something original and didn't really make it to come up with something.

Now there's one problem: We have Fyn and Darkwolf. In case of a voting, both would have to vote for each other, therefore creating a tiebreaker. Now I ask both of you, do you want to have a voting take place (either me and RockingScorpion decide who wins or creating a strawpoll where everyone can vote?) or would you be fine with a tie?

Also, we need to come up with the next prompt. My original idea was that the winner may pick it though we may not have a winner here :p If any of you two have a prompt in mind, send me a PM please. Otherwise, RockingScorpion and I will pick the next one again :yes

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah okay I did comment on the image darkwolf91 posted and I did like his drawing a lot so I guess I'll go with his.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've now got the conformation of both entrants that they're ok with a tie so there will not be a voting this time :)

Again, I ask you two to let me know if you have any ideas for the next prompt until the end of the week. Otherwise, RockingScorpion and I will decide for the next one again :)