The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A larger, grander idea of mine:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Many of us are aware of the original Land Before Time soundtrack by James Horner.  Much less talked-about is the musical score to the sequels, but many of them contain interesting elements not found in the original LBT score.  

Anywho, here's my plan:
Once I receive my copy of Symphonic Gold in the mail (a software orchestral synthesizer), I shall focus on picking out as many elements of the scores to the sequels as possible, starting with the opening titles of each.  By the end, my goal is to release complete soundtracks of each LBT film, containing as much of the musical scores to the sequels as possible.  B)

This software should be powerful enough to do a very respectable job of reproducing the original music, providing I give it ample time and dedication.  I could simply do this in MIDI, but I believe that would be far too limiting and the results would not be what I am after.  I want to create soundtracks for each sequel, similar to how the original soundtrack worked.

Still, I need something to do while I wait for Symphonic Gold to arrive:
Any ideas on what song you'd like to see next as a MIDI? :P: I'll whip one up while we're waiting.  I have 3 days off work to get it (hopefully) completed.

If nobody stops me and comes up with another suggestion, I'll work on "Always There" for a MIDI. B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Wow! That sounds like quite something! I love the idea of having Michael Tavera's LBT music same as James Horner's (all of whose LBT music is not on the soundtrack either). I'm really looking forward to this  :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It will also be possible for me to convert the final work on the soundtrack into sheet music :D for anyone who's interested B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Aren't most of the early sequels just reusing score from the original film?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are LBT 1 elements to many of the LBT sequels, but there are very many perfectly individual melodies and variations.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aren't most of the early sequels just reusing score from the original film?
There are LBT 1 elements to many of the LBT sequels, but there are very many perfectly individual melodies and variations.
Malte is right; there are a large variety of elements to the series' scores which are never heard in the original.  Unless I feel exceptionally proficient, I don't expect I'll be redoing elements that were found in the original directly.  I will be doing all variations found in the series, however.  If I ever get around to it, I'll do some of the original elements, just for the sheet music, but not in the near future.

Just checking since it would save Tim time.
Anything to save work in this project is appreciated ;) This wil be quite an undertaking, easily the largest project I've ever dealt with.  This is when having the films ripped to my computer as AVIs will be extremely handy reference tools! B)  I've recently started recording bits from the films into "tracks" to help me organize where to start and end the pieces of the soundtracks.  I have completed the organization of LBT 2, and it *should* have approximately 13 tracks.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, scrapping the Always There MIDI project for the moment:
RR put in a 'request' for the "Always There" instrumental variation found near the end of LBT 5, when the kids are returned by Elsie.

The original track is about 1:38, so this shouldn't take me a huge amount of time....except I will not be doing it in MIDI.  I'm playing with Symphonic Gold as we speak, and this track is about 18-seconds complete in its full MP3 glory! :D
It will also be possible for me to save the project as a MIDI file, which will contain the sheet music for anyone with a MIDI viewer/editor (Noteworthy Player / Noteworthy Composer / any other).

The challenge with most of these soundtrack pieces, including this one, is trying to pick out the fine details of the music with intrusive all of the dialog and sound effects in the way!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
RR put in a 'request' for the "Always There" instrumental variation found near the end of LBT 5, when the kids are returned by Elsie.
You mean when they return to their parents? I like the idea. There is a rather cheerful variant of Always there. Another LBT 5 theme which is quite beautiful is the one played during the goodbye to Chomper.
In general there are very beautiful themes during LBT goodbye scenes. There are variations of If we hold on together, but also perfectly independent themes.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Also, its free of a lot of talking when you really need to listen to it, so I knew that wouldn't be too difficult. ;)  Start small as you learn the program.  :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Also, its free of a lot of talking when you really need to listen to it, so I knew that wouldn't be too difficult. Start small as you learn the program.
For the most part, yes.  Some of the earlier sections had a lot of shouting and whatnot which made it difficult, however that section is complete now :)

The rest of this should be pretty straight-forward.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a link to the work on the Always There section I have completed so far; about 31 seconds.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...082D2394B148E01
I shall finish it as soon as possible, but I won't have any time to work on it today, and not much time tomorrow.