The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Only hours away from the US airing of the episode.  I hope this is a good one.  Get the link to the Live Streams below.

Season 8 Episode 13 - The Mean Six Live Streams

As always, expect the online version later today.

Until next time, see ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Okay... that was an episode?  Yeah, it was a disappointment.  I'll get to why tomorrow.  Until then, here's the link to the online version of the episode.

Season 8 Episode 13 - The Mean Six Online Version

My review will be tomorrow.  Likely before my coverage of E3 starts.

Until then, see ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First of all, I'm really glad we now actually have spoiler tags, much like what I've seen over on BZPower.com, so this will make these posts seem much cleaner from now on (though I'm not going to make the effort of editing all of my previous reviews in this topic).

Anyway, another week means another Equestria Girls short now on YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/equestria-girls-turf-war-short-now-on.html
And here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJUx6bLiDs
Spoiler: ShowHide
At the beach, lifeguard Timber Spruce is joined by substitute lifeguard Applejack. The former tries to relax as there's usually not much going on, while the latter wants to always be ready for anything. It's not long before the two of them try to outdo each other by trying to help anyone around them. But when they both try to rescue Bulk Biceps at the same time, they realize how silly they've been behaving and agree to work together.

So it seems Rainbow Dash isn't the only one Applejack can get competitive with, and we finally got to see Timber Spruce interacting with one of the Main 7 that isn't Twilight. Not much else for me to say here, but this is apparently the last of the beach-themed shorts. Now, just a few more regular shorts left to go, along with the rest of those "choose your own ending" shorts (of which only four have been released on YouTube so far).

And here's my review for this week's episode.
Before I start, I'd like to mention that even though this episode has been leaked, released early in a different language, and then released early again in English, I somehow managed to not encounter any major spoilers, especially considering that I had continued visiting the sites I typically visit with no real effort to be careful of spoilers. Pretty much the only thing I knew ahead of today's official airing is that Chrysalis comes back for revenge, and we end up seeing that even before the intro starts. Anyway, onto my review.

The Main 6 and Starlight Glimmer are preparing for a camping trip out in the forest near the Tree of Harmony, but first they have to go through a scheduled photo shoot before they leave. The highly eccentric photographer rushes through everything by taking unprofessional pictures and taking a strand of hair from each of the Main 6 before quickly leaving. Out in a hidden part of the forest, the photographer is revealed to be Queen Chrysalis seeking revenge against the Main 6 and especially Starlight. Her plan is to use a dark magic spell that requires a picture and hair strand of particular ponies (combined with organic material from some trees, and marked with the cutie marks of those ponies) to make copies of them that would be capable to using the Elements of Harmony, thus giving her the power to take over Equestria.

Almost immediately, Chrysalis's plan begins to fall apart. The copies of the Main 6 that are created turn out to be very much like the Discorded versions previously seen way back in the season 2 premiere: Applejack is a compulsive liar, Rarity is greedy for just about anything she sees, Fluttershy is a total bully to everyone around her, Pinkie Pie is perpetually bored, Rainbow Dash doesn't care at all about anyone or anything, and Twilight Sparkle pretty much has her own selfish agenda in mind. The copies are not only highly disobedient of Chrysalis (much to her obvious frustration), but they also struggle to agree on much of anything, so they inevitably end up splitting up. At the same time, the real Main 6 and Starlight also somehow get split up on their way through the forest. As a result, the originals and copies end up encountering each other in various ways, and the originals never realize that the copies aren't their friends.

Eventually, a huge web of misunderstandings leaves the original Main 6 and Starlight arguing with each other. However, they've been such good friends for so long that after talking things out, they settle their differences and continue with their camping trip. Meanwhile, the copy Main 6 and Chrysalis finally reach the Tree of Harmony, but in their attempt to take the Elements, the Tree apparently seems to recognize that the copies are unworthy fakes, and it ends up destroying them. With the copies reduced to the pieces of wood they once were, Chrysalis's plan fails and she is forced to once again flee, while the real Main 6 and Starlight remain blissfully unaware that Chrysalis had tried to do anything to them.

To be honest, I actually quite liked this episode. Almost as soon as we see Chrysalis revealed, it's obvious that without anyone around to obey her, she has gotten very desperate and perhaps gone a little crazy from that kind of loneliness. And of course, her attempt to make obedient copies of the Main 6 instead creates discorded copies. Since they're pretty much just like what we saw way back in the Season 2 premiere, we already know what they're like (except for Twilight who lasted for only a minute or two back then, so it was nice we got a full episode to really see her selfish behavior), so I found it rather amusing how they interacted not only between each other and with Chrysalis, but also in random groups with the real Main 6 and Starlight. The way the copies were ultimately destroyed was something I found surprisingly graphic for a show like this (kind of reminded me of the ending of the Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, for some reason). Finally, Chrysalis's attempt at revenge fails and she flees once more, which I somehow found quite amusing. I can't quite explain it, but there's something about villains whose attempts to beat the good guys always end up failing in catastrophic and comical ways that I find very entertaining. I'm somehow completely okay with seeing Chrysalis reduced to a has-been wannabe type of villain with antics that are reminiscent of older cartoons.

And that's the end of this first half of Season 7, which also happens to be the last of the leaked episodes. With the exception of episode synopsis for the rest of the season (which we would know about ahead of their airings anyway) and part of an upcoming Equestria Girls special, all of the leaked content is now officially behind us.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:40:24 PM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Okay, maybe I was a bit harsh in my first reaction, but I still don't like this one.  Spoilers below.

Let me start by saying that I like the idea of evil doppelgangers in general.  It's interesting to see how an evil version of a character would be and how they would act around those that said character knows.  It's a fun idea.  However, there is a rule that I feel must be followed.  If it fails, it can lead to me being disappointed.  So let's get to this.

It's not surprising that Queen Chrysalis would seek revenge after what Starlight and Co did.  I mean, she has no loyal minions, her home was destroyed, she's probably even starving out there.  So yeah, life sucks for her.  So what does she do?  She creates evil doppelgangers of the Mane Six.

As anyone can guess, this falls apart easily.  They are the Discorded Versions that we saw back in Season 2.  We get a liar, a bully, someone who has WAY too much greed, someone who has all of the fun sucked out of them and someone who just cares about themselves.  This team was doomed to failure from the start.  The only one that really didn't get an evil version back then was Twilight.  I must say, I like Evil Twilight a lot.  Evil Twilight is one of those cunning villains.  She's the best of the bunch and she had her own plan to betray Chrysalis.

As expected, the evil doppelgangers interact with those the originals care about.  However, it seems that the evil ones couldn't tell which ones were on their side.  This leads to some interesting interactions between the two.  Evil Twilight gets annoyed by Good Pinkie. (To her credit, Evil Twilight did pay attention to get information out of her.) Good Fluttershy gets lost, Evil Rainbow Dash doesn't help her and the animals hate her. (An event she gets VERY distraught over.  In fact, I dare say it nearly breaks her.) Greedy Rarity steals everything from Applejack's cart.  Lying Applejack says horrible things about Starlight right to her.

However, there is one point where the writers dropped the ball.  The evil doppelgangers never ran into their exact counterparts.  Ever!  I'm sorry, but this something that MUST happen.  We got what was expected; the evil version interacting with those they care about, creating hurt and distrust in the original.  However, for this to be truly resolved, the original must come face to face with their evil counterpart.  This allows the original (and loved ones) to find out that the one causing all the problems was an evil version of the original.  This creates an understanding and realization of everything that happened.  This is how it should be and it's sad the writers never went this route.  In the end, the originals never figure out what really happened and are just confused about it all.

Instead, we have the originals apologizing for things they didn't do and the evil counterparts get killed off by The Tree of Harmony.  Wow!  Talk about a lame resolution!

An okay episode, but the writers dropped the ball on the most important part of the story.  Which is just sad.

With that, we now go on hiatus.  When we get off this hiatus, Discord and Starlight become rivals.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The main series may be on hiatus now, but there's still the Equestria Girls shorts coming out each week, so here's this week's new release to YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/equestria-girls-last-day-of-school.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGCDljJ1uVc
It's the last day of the school year, and Twilight and Rainbow's respective attitudes about it couldn't be any more different. Rainbow Dash is very bored and impatient that she has to wait all day for school to end, while Twilight is very nervous about having only one day to finish all of her extra credit work. When the end of the school day finally arrives, Rainbow is excited, while Twilight is absolutely terrified. Rainbow is able to calm Twilight by convincing her that she could go to the library to read whatever she wants, so they and their friends are happy as they leave school.

I found it rather amusing how Twilight and Rainbow displayed practically opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of their thoughts on being in school, particularly for the last day of the year before summer vacation. Not much else to say here, though it was nice how Rainbow was able to help Twilight be more relaxed once the end of the day arrived.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another week has gone by, so now it's time for the next Equestria Girls short.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/mlp-equestria-girls-outtakes-exclusive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-4ax5xyUA
Fluttershy decides to make a video advertising the animal shelter for pet adoptions, however she is naturally very shy and struggles to say the right things while recording herself. After several attempts and being dissatisfied with the results, she next tries recording only the animals, but that doesn't go any better. When Twilight and Applejack arrive to check on her, she's completely disappointed, but after watching her recordings, they actually like what they see and, with some editing, are able to help her complete the video advertisement.

We all know about Fluttershy's stage fright, so of course it would make sense that she would be camera shy as well. Thankfully, she has good friends to help her out. What I found amusing about the finished video was how it appeared to start off like one of those long and somber animal shelter ads that I'm sure we've all seen, but after only a few seconds it suddenly shifts to a more fun and upbeat style.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not many Equestria Girls shorts left to go, so we'll soon find out what they'll do next. Anyway, time for this week's YouTube release.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/equestria-girls-pinkie-pie-snack.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TD8jRxs5g
Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash meet at the 50s-style diner where Pinkie Pie works. As she is working, Pinkie notices various other people in the diner having problems, and sets up each of her friends to help them out: Flash Sentry is studying for a math test and gets help from Twilight, one girl stains her dress and Rarity helps to repair and improve it, and the Crystal Prep swim team coming off a loss receive some helpful advice from Rainbow Dash. When one of Pinkie's coworkers is impressed and asks how she always knows exactly what everyone needs, Pinkie just remarks that she has a sense for these things.

While I wouldn't exactly call it Pinkie Pie's "Pinkie Sense", Pinkie did show how remarkably observant she can be whenever someone is having issues with something, and is quite good at figuring out the right person to help solve their problems.

Recently, there's been rumors of an upcoming Equestria Girls one-hour special called "Rollercoaster of Friendship". Don't know much else beyond that, but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
EqD may be a day late mentioning it, but they still got around to mentioning this week's YouTube release of the Equestria Girls shorts.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/equestria-girls-five-to-nine-added-to.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RGU90y79k
This is a music video featuring Applejack cleaning up the barn next to her house and redecorating it for some country themed party with her friends and some other CHS students.

I don't have much to say for this one since I have very little interest in country themes and music. Though I will point out that we got to see some of the interior of Applejack's house, including her bedroom (which means that of the Equestria Girls main 7, the only one whose bedroom we still haven't seen yet is Fluttershy).

In addition, I was very surprised that the next Equestria Girls special "Rollercoaster of Friendship" apparently aired yesterday afternoon.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/equestria-girls-special-rollercoaster.html
I was lucky enough last night to have enough time to watch it, thanks to the link provided on this page. Of course, much like Forgotten Friendship, this first release is the 44-minute version for TV broadcast, and presumably there will be some additional content that we won't see until it's later release on YouTube as five 10-minute parts. Anyway, here's my review of the whole special.
This special takes place at a theme park called "Equestria Land", where social media celebrity Vignette Valencia (had to look up the MLP Wiki to make sure I got that name right) is planning the parade that will be on opening day, though she's struggling to get things done in a way that would satisfy her. However, yet another loose piece of Equestrian magic comes along, in this case altering her smartphone so that anything she takes a picture of immediately disappears and she can then create altered holograms of those objects.

Rarity and Applejack both apply for a summer job to run the caramel apple stand at the theme park, but while Applejack is rejected, Rarity is instead offered the position of lead fashion designer for the parade, which she accepts despite Applejack's disappointment of not being able to work with her. Later, Rarity invites her friends to the park to meet her employer, Vignette, who upon hearing of them as the band "the Rainbooms" eagerly decides to put them in the parade. While Rarity continues working, the others go off to explore the park. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy go on a roller coaster, Twilight and Sunset try out a ring toss game, Pinkie Pie takes on a self-imposed duty of "fun inspector", and Applejack discovers that Micro Chips got the job she had applied for.

Vignette takes Fluttershy aside to share her vision for the Rainbooms' upcoming show, but when Fluttershy refuses to go along with it, Vignette uses her magic-powered phone to make her disappear. Applejack tries to find Fluttershy, but all of her friends are too preoccupied to bother. Eventually, an incompetent security guard allows Applejack to use the park's security cameras and ends up watching Vignette use her magical phone to make Rainbow Dash disappear too. With the rest of her friends with Vignette, Applejack confronts her, but she plays innocent. It's not long before Rarity and Applejack get into a big argument, with Rarity accusing Applejack of being jealous for not getting the job, and Applejack accusing Rarity of being so caught up in her new job that she doesn't even care about her friends. When some really hurtful words are spoken, they both agree to just walk away.

Vignette approaches the three remaining girls (Twilight, Sunset, and Pinkie) and shares her latest ideas for their band, even changing their name. The girls refuse to perform, especially without any of their friends, so Vignette digitally traps them too, then replaces them all on the stage with altered holograms. When Rarity returns and sees for herself the true extent that Vignette seems to care only for herself, Rarity escapes the same fate as her friends (thanks to her magical powers) and catches up to Applejack. They both apologize to each other and agree to work together to free their missing friends.

From within the completely featureless area the girls are trapped in, Twilight is able to call Applejack and tries to explain her plan to get them out of Vignette's phone, but Applejack hears her voice elsewhere and discovers they were actually just teleported into an empty room all along. However, they realize that if Vignette decides to get rid of a displeased crowd, they would become dangerously crowded into a tiny room, so the girls quickly confront her just as the parade starts, and transform into magical ponied-up forms to destroy Vignette's magical phone. As they talk about things, Vignette eventually admits that despite having millions of followers online, she doesn't actually have any true friends, which Rarity and Applejack are happy to offer.

Okay, I have to say, this special was nowhere near as great as Forgotten Friendship was. The antagonist seemed very hard to sympathize with (probably because I've never really cared for any of that social media hype), and the magical powers she was given initially seemed like a repeat of Mirror Magic, only to later be reveled to be even more underwhelming as simply teleporting things to some empty room (though I will admit the threat of doing it to a huge crowd of people is legitimate). On the plus side, this special focuses on Applejack and Rarity rather than Twilight or Sunset, so at least we can be sure that any potential future specials can focus on any of the other characters. Even so, I'd rank this as among my least favorite installments in the Equestria Girls series.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:53:37 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Has Starlight Glimmer appeared in any new EqG shorts? I'm still refusing to watch any until she makes a reappearance

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, a bit of an announcement!  On Friday, the 20th, Discovery Family is airing a new episode of My Little Pony at 11:30 AM Eastern.  At least, that is according to Zap2it.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/possible-early-season-8-mlp-episode-for.html

If it is airing, I'll post my new plan for that day. (Seeing as how my work schedule has changed since the start of the hiatus and all.) We shall see.

I'll tell you all come Wednesday.

See ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on July 10, 2018, 03:34:57 AM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on July 10, 2018, 03:34:57 AM
Has Starlight Glimmer appeared in any new EqG shorts? I'm still refusing to watch any until she makes a reappearance

To be honest, I find that to be a rather silly reason to not watch any Equestria Girls content. Okay, I'm not even going to bother with spoilers this time. At the very least, I would highly recommend watching Forgotten Friendship (there are five ten-minute parts, alternatively titled "Most Likely to be Forgotten"), if only to see Sunset Shimmer return to Equestria and finally reconcile with Princess Celestia. (I'm sure you can find the links I posted if you look back a few pages.)

With that out of the way, here's this week's YouTube release of the Equestria Girls shorts.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/mlp-equestria-girls-so-much-more-to-me.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgxOxPFVj4
This is a music video featuring Fluttershy who, after refusing to join her friends for karaoke due to her stage fright, sings about how she's much more comfortable singing while completely alone and with only the shelter animals as her audience.

This short is clearly referencing a certain Season 4 episode that revealed Fluttershy has a beautiful singing voice, but is way too shy to perform in front of anyone. I personally don't care much for these musical shorts, but I can see why this one in particular would be considered among the best.

And that's the last of this group of Equestria Girls shorts. Now all that's left (that we know of) are the rest of the "choose your own ending" shorts, and the five parts of Rollercoaster of Friendship. (I recently rewatched that special and I believe that for the probable additional content, there will be not much in parts 1 and 5, about a minute each in parts 2 and 3, and up to four minutes in part 4, but this theory is based only on the time I noticed between each break, so we won't know for sure until they officially release.)

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, so here's the deal.  A new episode will be airing this Friday on Discovery Family at 11 AM Pacific/2 PM Eastern.  It'll be the episode titled Yakity-Sax, which was meant to be Episode 18.  They are currently skipping Episode 14, A Matter of Principals and setting it for a later date.  Australia will be showing Episode 14 July 29th.

Anyways, with all this, I have carefully made plans.  Tomorrow night, I will post the summary, but it will be earlier than usual due to me having an early morning work schedule.

At just after 7 AM Pacific/10 AM Eastern, I will post the Live Stream link as it'll be my Meal Break by then.  I won't be able to watch the Live Stream, but it'll be there for those that want to.

When I get home from work, I will watch the episode because they will likely have the online version up by then, which I will post a link for.

Likely later that day, I shall give my review when I've properly thought about how I feel about the episode.

When August rolls round and they start regularly airing new episodes, I'll have more of an idea of what I'll do then.

So, that's how things will go.

Until next time, see ya! :wave
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:50:21 PM by pokeplayer984 »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

At this point, it seems everything is set for tomorrow.  I won't be on a computer until tomorrow during my meal break at work.  However, at that time, I plan to post the Live Stream link.  For now, here's the summary for tomorrow's episode.

----------
Season 8 Episode 18

Title: Yakity-Sax

Summary: Pinkie Pie has a new hobby that she absolutely loves - playing the Zenithrash. But when her friends discourage her from playing due to her lack of skill, it causes a series of events leading to Pinkie Pie possibly leaving Ponyville forever!
-----------

Yep, we get back with a Pinkie Pie centered episode.  Probably not much, but hopefully it's good.

Again, expect the Live Stream link tomorrow morning.

Until next time, see ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

So, here we go!  It's time for a new episode of pony.  There's no links at EqD as of this post, but keep an eye on their page to see if something comes up.

Season 8 Episode 18 - Yakity-Sax Live Streams

I'll post the link to the episode when I get home.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Okay, it took some time, but here's the online version of the episode.

Season 8 Episode 18 - Yakity-Sax Online Version

I'll watch it soon and put up my review later.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just as I suspected, the next set of Equestria Girls shorts being released on YouTube are the rest of those "choose your own ending" shorts, of which only four were previously released way back in February.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/mlp-equestria-girls-stressed-in-show.html
And here's the direct link (keep in mind that for these types of shorts, you have to choose one of three possible endings when you get to the end of the starting video, which is the one that I'm linking to here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ2bI4sV528
Had to look back a few pages on this topic to remind myself how I reviewed these type of shorts.
The girls are rehearsing for the upcoming school play, but Twilight has gotten so stressed out over it that it's starting to affect her performance. Twilight clearly needs to take a break from the play, so Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie each offer to help her relax.

Choose Rainbow Dash: Rainbow's idea involves all kinds of physical activity. Twilight is rather out of shape, but one training montage later, not only has Twilight started showing signs of improving, but she is also pleased that all that activity helped to keep her mind off the play and thus finds herself free of all that stress.

Choose Fluttershy: Fluttershy decides to take Twilight out on a nature walk. At first, Fluttershy's efforts end up being a little problematic as she somehow keeps unintentionally saying something that reminds Twilight of the play, which instantly brings her stress levels back up whenever it happens. Fluttershy ultimately resorts to applying pure animal cuteness, which finally gets Twilight so relaxed that she ends up taking a nap in the woods while cuddling with some woodland critters.

Choose Pinkie Pie: Throughout the day for Twilight, Pinkie keeps popping out of random places and offering all kinds of crazy ideas for reducing stress. Eventually, Twilight can't take it anymore and calls out Pinkie for making her feel so paranoid all day about when and where she'll show up next, only to then suddenly realize that those worries actually managed to keep her mind off the play for a while, which means that in this particular case, there really was a method to Pinkie's madness.

For this one, I think Rainbow Dash was the best choice, because not only did it help Twilight keep her mind off the play, but also provided her with some much needed physical activity and even showed some improvement by the end of it. Fluttershy did a rather good job of helping Twilight relax, though I doubt Twilight would be pleased to wake up and discover she's been cuddling some skunks. Pinkie Pie was definitely my least preferred option, because what she did was essentially trade one source of stress for another, which I seriously doubt would be a realistic solution to the kind of problem Twilight was dealing with.

And of course, here's my review of the new episode that also recently came out.
Pinkie Pie has just taken up a new interest in playing the zenithrash (essentially a giant set of bagpipes), a popular musical instrument from Yakyakistan, and has very quickly become very enthusiastic about it. However, her friends find that she's rather terrible at playing it, but since she only just recently started, they decide to let her keep practicing with the assurance that she'll get better over time. Unfortunately, not only does Pinkie carelessly play her zenithrash at inappropriate times and places, but her skill with it remains awful, and when her latest attempt at playing sends everyone running away, her friends reluctantly tell her that perhaps it's best she stop trying. Publicly, Pinkie makes no big deal about it, but in private, she ends up very depressed.

Later, Pinkie's mood has fallen so dramatically that it becomes very obvious to everyone around (straight hair, all her colors turning grey, and everything she walks by wilts), so her friends try to cheer her up by reminding her of the many other things that she's already really good at, but all of those efforts fail. They eventually decide to make an ultimate attempt by throwing a Pinkie Pie Appreciation Day party and inviting everyone in town, but when they try to invite her outside, they instead find her sister Maud packing all of her things and saying she's doing so because Pinkie has decided to move to Yakyakistan.

The girls quickly travel to Yakyakistan and soon find themselves listening to a yak playing a zenithrash, which they admit actually sounded great. They soon find Pinkie nearby, who confesses that she moved there in hopes of sharing her enthusiasm for the zenithrash with the yaks, but now that she's heard what a good tune from one is supposed to sound like, she has remained depressed because she knows that yaks and their desire for perfection would never approve of her awful efforts. Despite all of that, her friends insist that she at least try to perform in front of the yaks. Remarkably, the yaks are impressed, including the one who had played recently because he considers the zenithrash an instrument that brings happiness to anyone, regardless of how it's play.

I'm not exactly fond of this episode, as I believe both sides could've done something to not make the situation any worse. First, Pinkie should've been much more respectful to not obnoxiously practice that instrument at very inappropriate times and places, such as when Rarity was trying to concentrate on making a dress or when Fluttershy was trying to get her animals to sleep at night. Then when her friends tried to be honest with her about her poor talent with that instrument, they should've told her to be much more respectful of when and where she played it rather than just tell her to stop playing it altogether. The ending does little to address either of those issues, so while I agree with the message that it's okay to do things you like doing, I really think it should've also come with the message of showing some respect for those who may not approve of said hobby.

By the way, I found that, now that the leaked episodes are finally behind us, DailyMotion has now gone back to being a viable option for watching new episodes.

- Berix

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah my only gripe with the episode is the rest of the mane 6 are freaking idiots. Pinkie Pie's gonna Pinkie Pie til you say something. They should've just told her practice in private.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

You know, this one really could have been so much better.  Spoilers below.

You know, it's okay if you want to try something new, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone.  We are encouraged to try new things.  Pinkie wanted to try the zenithrash and fell in love with this instrument.  It's obviously based off bagpipes, but unlike them, this one tends to complement the sound.  I've always found bagpipes to be one of the more annoying instruments.  Even when they're played well they don't sound right to me.  However, this take on it adds in sounds that make it sound amazing... when it's played right.

Yeah, Pinkie Pie sucks at it!  However, that was kind of the point.  It was a lesson of supporting your friends, even if what they are doing they're not good at, but this story felt like it needed an added lesson.  The lesson of respecting others.

This was Pinkie Pie's biggest flaw and why her friends didn't like what she did in the first place.  It really didn't need to go this badly.  They could have had her play the instrument in private and everything would have been okay.  She didn't need to give it up in the first place.  She just needed to be more respectful of others in the end.

Instead, we get quite the mess of an episode that had Pinkie Pie more depressed then I've seen her in a long time.  All of which could have been avoided if her friends just gave her the lesson of respecting others.  She doesn't mature as a character as a result and that's something I want to see more of in Pinkie Pie.

Conclusion, could have been better if they had more than one lesson or a different one all together.

Next episode is in two weeks and we get a double-header!

Until then, see ya! :wave