The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Wait a minute" in 5th movie

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hi there!  I was watching the 5th movie yesterday - nice one & apart from refreshing the memories of watching it once in 2002, there's a line by Chomper that suddenly caught my attention - before he went on searching for food for Littlefoot & Co. - "Wait here a minute"...  I mean, how that word could have been present in the land BEFORE time?  :rolleyes:

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
There's a lot of other anachronistic words used in the 5th film mainly in Friends for dinner. E.G. Three horn SOUP and Littlefoot STEW. Or steak in the German version.

Also in the 4th film Dil says to Ichy that they've been looking the gang for hours, and in the 6th film Grandpa long neck said the fight with the Sharptooth and the lone dinosaur seemed to last for hours. How would dinosaurs know what hours are!?

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hilarious stuff!  xD    
Only makes me wonder how come it got in there & wasn't edited out?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
During  the Dil and Ichy musical number, references were made to a "bug in the bed" and "a cold in July".  So apparently beds and calenders exist in the LBT universe.  Let's not forget that on the VHS cover, Ichy is holding a pair of binoculars.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Could make an interesting fanfiction or world making to put those somewhere and have a reason they don't show up or get explained in the movies or tv series.   Like there is a bedrock with the flintstones somewhere on the same Continent.

Seriously though, I guess they use those terms since the audience would understand, instead of finding ways around it, like saying a long time, part of the day instead of hours.    For songs they may need to rewrite songs to leave those terms out, though the end product would be better in my opinion, it would require more work.

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In 4th movie during the song that alligator-like & crow-like characters sung there was a line "....like a rain in July".   What's interesting is that they have their own words for nose or coward or rain or dreams or sun, yet have July, hours, minutes...
Actually, I remember hearing "sleep story" and in few mins later "dream" in one of the movies.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I think it is way too hard to create words to express time or for other expressions, I think they did use words like minutes and hours to help give viewers a sense of how long would it take to do one thing or the other.

Does it make sense for the audience? yes. Does it make sense for the setting? I think it should not, but to create new means to try to measure time to make it have sense would make things way difficult or confussing and it may not add much to the real plot.

On a side note, a very funny example happened on Dink, during the episode "The Hollow Tree" when Flapper crashed on a tree he said before fainting "He closed the door on me". I know does that not make any sense, but it helped the scene to end with a funny what-the-h*ck!-style of joke... specially when you see Dink's face after hearing that.

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
  • I believe in Dekker supremecy
    • View Profile
Not to revive a dead thread or anything but i've personally always assumed that there's sort of a mutual understanding between the songwriters and the audience that the songs operate on a different set of rules than the rest of the movie does. Word play is more important than making it "make sense" for the setting.
If we hold on together... no, seriously. Grab my tail.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
They probably do this in order to let the viewers understand what’s going on.

Keep in mind that when creating these films, they have to come up with alternate words because do you want dinosaurs to know what “Home Alone” is?  I don’t think so.

Because creating alternative words for time wouldn’t make sense to the audience, Universal probably left the words as is.

That being said, how does Chomper know what “nose” means when he said “sniffer” seconds ago?

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
That being said, how does Chomper know what “nose” means when he said “sniffer” seconds ago?

That can probably be chalked up to careless script writing more than anything else. I'd imagine the production cycle for these movies was very corporate in nature, so nobody really put in the extra mile to make sure the script was 100% consistent with itself.

CappyGaming

• Chomper
  • I love Littlefoot!
    • View Profile
Also in the 5th movie, Cera says "Rare, medium, or well done?"

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, there's a lot of "modern words" in LBT movies, especially in many songs. At first, I thought it was a mess from our translators, but then I found out it was present in original. But I got used to it, actually.

Sapphirre98

• Nonbinary they/them
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Usually the modern words don't bother me much because i've seen all the movies so many times that i generally don't notice them, but one that's always stuck out to me was in Big Freeze when they're about to play with the melon fruit thing and Cera says "forget it, pass the ball".  Excuse me, Cera. How do you know what a "ball" is?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not to revive a dead thread or anything but i've personally always assumed that there's sort of a mutual understanding between the songwriters and the audience that the songs operate on a different set of rules than the rest of the movie does. Word play is more important than making it "make sense" for the setting.

Reviving old threads is actually encouraged, so no worries :)

Agreed. I believe it is the Lion King where Timon says (about eating a bug) "mmm, tastes like chicken". Obviously a meerkat has never eaten chicken before, but it helps the young viewer understand it is "not gross" :)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Seriously though, I guess they use those terms since the audience would understand, instead of finding ways around it, like saying a long time, part of the day instead of hours.    For songs they may need to rewrite songs to leave those terms out, though the end product would be better in my opinion, it would require more work.
Well said. if they can't find simple replacement terms that the audience can follow, then they're just gonna go for broke and use the correct vocabulary. I don't want an entire complicated term to explain a minute in the LBT universe.

00not_nathan00

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • instagram
in the 10th movie where littlefoots dad left and the earthquakes where happening if you go back to the first movie there where no real earthquakes around the time of littlefoots birth, and aswell in the first movie the great valley was sort of being talked about around that time so why didnt he go there in the first place.  :facepalm
Still waiting for the bluth cut

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
During  the Dil and Ichy musical number, references were made to a "bug in the bed" and "a cold in July".  So apparently beds and calenders exist in the LBT universe.  Let's not forget that on the VHS cover, Ichy is holding a pair of binoculars.

These two are like the holy grail of anchronisms. Not only the ones you mention, the same song has the line "I need you like the sun needs to freeze" despite 'bright circle' being the proper nomeclature. And like you mentioned, Ichy straightup holding binoculars on the VHS cover of Land Before Time 4 will forever be my personal favorite.

Well, there's a lot of "modern words" in LBT movies, especially in many songs. At first, I thought it was a mess from our translators, but then I found out it was present in original. But I got used to it, actually.

Yeah, songs are goldmines because they have to worry about meter and rhyming and syllable count. The song "Eggs" uses the term "struthiomimus" and is the only instance of a dinosaur species name in LBT
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:12:34 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The answer, Chomper is a time traveler! :D

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith