The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Top 5 films of 2009

jedi472 · 11 · 1619

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, 2009 has come to an end, and a another year of new films has come to a close. Now that the year is over, I can finally post this thread. So, to the members of the GOF, I ask you: what were your favorite flicks of 2009?

My list:

1) Star Trek-This film has given me hope for the future. This movie single-handedly catapulted an aging sci-fi series back into the modern world. The reboot of the Trek franchise pretty much made my year, and this was perhaps the only film of the year I'd consider to be close to perfect. The casting was fantastic, the story was simple yet engaging, and the dialogue was brilliant. I know some hardcore Trek fans say that the movie messed up in the science department and robbed Trek of its intellect, but honestly, I think the series began slowly losing intelligence from the moment Star Trek V was released, and that the action was a great change of pace from all the usual diplomacy of Trek. Fresh, exciting, and dramatic, Star Trek is without a doubt my favorite film of 2009.

2) Avatar-I'm definitely going to get judged for this, but I really loved Avatar. It's sincere, beautiful to look at, functionally written, rousing in the classic Hollywood sense, and simplistic in the way fables are. It's also a display of genuine vision, something in short supply these days. Cameron's a genius with a tin ear, a master showman who never met a cliche he didn't like. He tells stories visually, with the words as a prop for the feeling. It's pure, visceral filmmaking, and I get that if you don't buy into the sentiment from moment one, Avatar's lost you. I did, and I was moved by it.

3) District 9- District 9 is a grittier, darker version of the usual first-contact with aliens plot, with mankind as the villain. Provocative and deep, it is an allegory for our time, bursting with contemporary themes -- oppression, greed, power, propaganda, and the conflict of dissimilar cultures. All of this is presented from the perspective of one man who is chased by his own species as he slowly becomes one of the aliens, and the entire movie is filmed documentary-style. Thought-inducing and riveting right up until the very end, District 9 is perhaps the best $30 million ever spent in the film making industry.

4) Inglorious Basterds- The best of the Tarantino films, Inglorious Basterds manages to keep its gory violence somewhat in check whilst also showcasing its superb cast and screenplay, which centers on near-perfect dialogue. It's pretentious, narcissistic, and completely unreal, not to mention half it's background characters still get their own intros, but none of that matters. The humor alone carries this movie, even through the boring, unnecessary scenes that were designed to be elaborate but somehow fall short. It's purely outlandish, incredibly violent nature is just something that cannot be replicated, and, despite the film's flaws, it's incredible uniqueness more than earns it a place on my list.

5) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- I thoroughly enjoyed the latest addition to the Potter series. This film had a near perfect dynamic between light and dark scenes, and I loved the heavier reliance on characters, dialogue and story. While the action in this film is limited, the tone and writing, along with Rowling's fantastic world, are more than enough to hold a viewer's attention. Now only two films are left in the Potter series, and, after this latest movie, I look forward to The Deathly Hallows Part I with great anticipation.

Well, there's my two cents. What's everyone else's opinion?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have only seen two movies this year, and they were District 9 and Star Trek.

So, I rate them as follows:
  • District 9- District 9 was an amazing science fiction movie that takes a unique turn on the aliens arriving on Earth idea. This movie does what any good sci-fi movie does; makes one think.
  • Star Trek- I was not a fan of Star Trek before I saw this movie. I became a fan as I left the theater. The CGI was top-notch, the acting was superb, and there was no sacrifice in continuity with the original series.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
In no particular order"

1. Avatar - Simply brilliant film. The desings of the characters and locations are truly amazing, the actors were well picked, and the movie just plain rocked. Highly recommend this movie to everybody!

2. Paranormal Activity - Easily one of if not the scariest movie I have ever seen. The build up to the more terrifying events is great, and everything that happens looks so real. Great movie considering the low budget.

3. Zombieland - America's answer to Shaun of the Dead. Is it as good? I wouldn't say that. Is it close to it? I would say that. Extremely hilarious, great action, and Bill Murray actually admits Garfield as his one regret in life :DD

4. The Hangover - Simply the funniest movie I have ever seen. Enough said.

5. Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr. reminds us why we love him as an actor. He is very clever, as well as Judd Law as Watson and the lovely Rachel McAdams. Simply a fun movie.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
1. Princess and the Frog: Just a very fun movie. It took me back to the old days of Disney with the Lion King and Aladdin.

2. UP: Just a very, fun Pixar movie, you should really see it if you haven't seen it yet.

3. The Hangover: There isn't much I can say about this, funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

4. Sherlock Holmes

5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(No Particular order)

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Saw VI
3. Coraline
4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
5. Halloween II

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
1.  Star Trek
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Coraline
4. Princess and the Frog
5. District 9
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
1. Bolt (2009 release here)
2. Knowing
3. Marley & Me
4. Friday the 13th
5. Up

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
1. Marley and Me
2. Avatar
3. Up
4. Bolt
5. 2012

(those are all I can think of, but there are many fantastic movies out there!)

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
5. Up- I think this was one of Pixar's best movies yet.

4. Wolverine- A movie based on my favorite X-Men? Awesome.

3. District 9- The whole documentary feel to it is what I liked the most.

2. Avatar- Outstanding visual effects and great story.

1. Zombieland- Now I not only need to come up with a zombie plan for when the virus is let loose, I need to know the rules of surviving it!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
1. Avatar
2. Princess and the Frog
3. A Christmas Carol
4. Up
5. 17 Again

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good choices I think I saw a couple of them and I thought they where good.