The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

MightyFan217's Fanart Thread

MF217 · 3 · 1823

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
For a future posting of a fanfiction I'm working on for The Land Before Time. Basic synopsis; the original movie and the sequels are being retold in my own image based around how the tone of the original film was with the darker aspects and themes, all the while adding my own flare to the plots based around both the original film and the sequels. In addition, because of the sequels having been around for a while now (sans Journey of the Brave which was over a month ago), there will be additional foreshadowing and plot points that begin all the way in the first film's adaptation arc. There are, of course, a few simple ground rules, some of which I'll post below that relate to the redesigns I'll post in this topic alone. The complete list of "ground rules" will be in the fanfic's topic when I ultimately post that.

*Some characters are very easily liable to change in species, be it simply subspecies, genus, or flat out type of animal altogether.
*Not part of the normal ground rules, but this fanart thread may or may not include OCs relating to the story whether or not I feel like posting them.
*None of the characters are intended as being scientifically accurate in appearance, movements, or anything else relevant to such by default.

Alright, those out of the way, let us begin with the star; Littlefoot!

Name: Littlefoot
Species: Brontosaurus excelsus
Notes: Genus was changed to Brontosaurus as a reference to Bron's name, and also to celebrate Brontosaurus once again being a valid genus. Also given some spots since both he, Bron, and Mama Longneck are given different coloration from their canon selves; all of the Dinosaurs are more colorful and have distinct patterns on their designs. For contrast, Littlefoot's eyes and belly color are from his mother, and his overall body color is from Bron. Also worth noting is that Bron is given a mention in the Movie 1 Arc of the fanfic, as the story goes out of its way to reference future sequels in regards to foreshadowing and such whenever necessary.

Name: Cera
Species: Triceratops prorsus
Notes: Has visible brow horns due to the fact all five main leads plus the additional sixth OC lead have the appearance of teenagers rather than kids for reasons akin to the fact they're much larger than their canon selves despite being the same age, and thus they were drawn to look older to be more in line with their larger size when compared to adults of their own kind. You'll notice this a lot with Spike's redesign. Meanwhile, Cera was changed into T. prorsus simply due to the fact T. horridus is used in media way too much in comparison; everyone else, in contrast, also ended up getting changed into a larger species/genus sans Littlefoot who was changed due to a different reason instead. Her new coloration involves a lot of black and dull purples, since that's pretty much much more accurate to Topsy and her mother. Speaking of her mother, the fanfic explains her and her non-older siblings as having perished by falling into the ground with several other Dinosaurs.

Name: Ducky
Species: Saurolophus angustirostris
Notes: Was changed into her larger species as a means of reinforcing her redesign making her look larger and older much like the others, as personally Ducky was far too small compared to her mother in the actual canon; she looked practically unchanged from her infantile self at the beginning of the first movie to make matters worse. Her coloration changes from a dull yellow/green to a more vibrant green mixed in with reddish orange markings and green eyes. Also while her father is alive but has a minor role in the movies, her father is killed off in the fanfic by unknown means before Sharptooth arrives and begins to eat considering while not noticed at first, Ducky's dad was lying dead already long before Sharptooth or Ducky had found his body sometime after the Great Earthshake had occurred. Also, as for how Ducky gets her name, a bunch of Gansus constantly muttering the word "Ducky" over and over repeatedly where in the area when she had hatched. At first she confused the word for what the birds are, but then began calling herself Ducky when they directed their attention towards her and continued saying the word over and over. Also, yes, the birds' chanting of a single word over and over are a reference to the Seagulls from Finding Nemo.

Name: Petrie
Species: Geosternbergia sternbergi
Notes: All Pterosaurs eat either insects, fish, or meat in the fanfic. No exceptions and which of the three depends on the species in question. Petrie eats fish as to be expected. Also, as for the genus change, fun fact about that. I designed his appearance before I double checked Pteranodon's head crest varieties, and I ended up accidentally drawing Petrie with a crest associated solely with Geosternbergia instead of one for Pteranodon. Also worth noting is that Pterano is changed from being Petrie's uncle to being his father, as to give an explanation as to what happened to Petrie's father and also considering Pterano pretty much looks more akin to an older Petrie in looks, and if it wasn't for the word uncle being thrown around in Movie 7, I would've otherwise kept calling Pterano as Petrie's dad as a kid since this was also the first time I had ever seen an adult relative of Petrie that was male (indicated by the head crest and such). Also, due to the genus change, Pterano's head crest is also going to get modified as well to a much more vibrant matured version of Petrie's head crest. Also worth noting is that Pterano's role during the events of the original movie are referenced in the Movie 1 Arc by Petrie when he's asked about how he had gotten separated (since Petrie can fly just fine right off of the bat here).

Name: Spike
Species: Stegosaurus ungulatus
Notes: Spike actually can talk; he just chooses not to after having been traumatized by the death of his own herd at the hands of Sharptooth, since he believes so much as making a single sound will alert his Sharptooth to his presence. Spike showcases the most physical development among the redesigns, although only Petrie is actually older than the canon depictions of the original five. Spike is also older and has a different introduction than his canon self for obvious reasons. His big appetite remains intact, though. Him being adopted into Ducky's family also remains intact.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Love it! These re-designs are really in-depth, I'm really liking the concepts! Looking forward to seeing more art from you :yes

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
Thanks! Comments I appreciate a lot since it gives me some much needed feedback on my artwork and also on my literature works as well. I sadly don't get many comments on DA as much as I would like, but I'm at least glad somebody around sites like these will comment on my work.

Currently finished:
*Littlefoot
*Cera
*Ducky
*Petrie
*Spike
*"Egg-Thief"/Younger Ozzy
*Mama Longneck/Littlefoot's Mother
*Original Sharptooth/"Red Claw"
*Rooter

Coming Soon:
*Grandpa Longneck
*Grandma Longneck
*Daddy Tops/Topsy
*Mama Threehorn/Topsy's original wife
*Younger Tria
*Mama Bigmouth/"Mama Swimmer"
*Pterano
*Mama Flyer
*Kosh
*Alpha Domehead
*Movie 1 Cameo Species (Postosuchus, Plateosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus, Pterodactylus, Pachycephalosaurus.)

Now then, that schedule out of the way, let's begin with the new uploads I should've gotten to posting last night.

Name: Ozzy
Species: Struthiomimus altus
Notes:
*Part of his redesign was inspired by Coelophysis. As for why he's included in the Arc 1/Movie 1 roster, he's basically the same exact Egg-Thief that goes after Littlefoot's egg in the original movie. The reason? Just to prevent the generic Egg-Thief from being a wasted character, and also to give Ozzy some extra motivation for his goals; notice the scar he has here as a result of being swatted away just as he grabbed Littlefoot's egg. The picture above, however, actually showcases Chomper's egg and depicts Ozzy as he'll look in Arc 2/Movie 2's plot, with Strut's pic being worked on once every other pic relating to redesigns for Movie 1 characters are finished.
*Also, if you're wondering who ended up swatting away Ozzy to give him the scar; Grandpa Longneck. Basically a reference to one of the GBA Video Games is made with Grandpa Longneck in that he may be old, but out of all of the Longneck Adults, he's the one where Littlefoot gets the unstoppable bravery from even if Grandpa doesn't always give the impression of it and seems genuinely nice and relaxed in nearly every situation. In one of the GBA games, you basically unlock Grandpa as a playable character, and his levels play mostly the same as Littllefoot's... except you're beating up Sharpteeth left and right and quickly discover that Grandpa has many, MANY attack moves to use in the game.

Name: Mama Longneck
Species: Brontosaurus excelsus
Notes:
*Same species change bit as Littlefoot, so nothing much to say there again. That said, you'll notice Mama Longneck doesn't have the spots Littlefoot has; Bron is the one where Littlefoot gets the spots on his redesign from. In contrast, Littlefoot gets some of his coloration from his mother as well; instead of a more brownish color for Littlefoot, he's a mix of brown (Bron) and gray (Mama Longneck + Grandparents). Also Mama Longneck is going to have a tad bit more expanded upon role in the story since the story gives five years in which the main leads can be developed up until the great earthshake occurs, as unlike the movie, the first timeskip isn't immediately for five years later.

Name: Red Claw ("Original Sharptooth")
Species: Tyrannosaurus rex
Notes:
*There's a backstory for why his name is Red Claw here, which the name you'll be seeing a lot because of it; Sharpteeth, by default, are honorable hunters of other Dinosaurs that are both feared and respected by all Dinosaurs. Some Sharpteeth, however, wind up killing for reasons far outside of needs to survive, and end up being given the name "Red Claw" as a name to disgrace them from other Sharpteeth, as these particular Sharpteeth lack the honorable traits of the average Sharptooth individual. Note that not every Sharptooth antagonist gets dubbed the name Red Claw by default; only the ones that display more signs of malice in intent get this dishonor.

Name: Rooter
Species: Placerias hesternus
Notes:
*I started with his hind legs and tail first, designing him after Moschops since Rooter's original species would no longer invoke the same overall design as he had in his only appearance. However, I quickly learned that using Moschops broke my rules (only using species that were alive during the Mesozoic Era), and thus I changed him into a Placerias by designing the rest of his body after Placerias instead, complete with tusks. I kept his tail unchanged since the current tail gave the impression of the redesigned Rooter being old and such as he should be.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.