The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The very first time you watched this.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
What was it like?

I really don't have a crique ready, so I'll do it later.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I was only like 3 years old at the time so it's kinda difficult for me to remember what I liked about it exactly but whatever it was, it stuck to me like some super sticky thing that I cant remove LOL  :DD Despite all my other cartoon movies, LBT was the only one stood out for me and my mum said that I used to drive her crazy with it...PMSL :lol I never actually went to see LBT in the cinema but I managed to get a recording of it while it was out on the big screen...(sheesh piracy at that age....cant be a good thing :( )

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I saw it in the theathers.I was 6 at the time, but I really liked it.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I first saw the movie when it came out on video (in the original cardboard cover too :P: ).  I think I was in either Europe or Illanois when it was in the theaters, so I never saw it on the big screen.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Littlefoot, I distinctly said "the very first time you watched it that you can recall clearly". I'm not asking you to look into the first three years of your life.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Sure asking a lot of me here. :P:  A time I can remember clearly...

Well, I never saw it in theaters at all.  That I know for sure.  The earliest I could probably remember watching this is probably around 1993 because we had already moved to our new house and I can only recall watching it there.  You can tell I was dedicated to the film because I put one of those colorful Fisher Price tape recorders by the tv so I could hear the movie on car trips.  :lol:  I remember getting annoyed when the phone rang because that would get picked up by the mic.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My grandfather taped it for me when it came on tv when I was three.  I still remember it clearly although I didn't understand some of what was going on.  What did the origional cover look like?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Does "remember clearly" mean that we are supposed to remember every minute in the process of watching the movie? If so I might not remember a single time as I cannot give a clear account on every minute of watching.
I do have an image in mind from the day I first watched LBT (I was 5 years old). Strangely it is nothing from the movie, but rather a blue and golden star of a commercial sign outside the cinema where I watched it. The cinema has been closed meanwhile and the blue and golden star is gone, but the wall is still there.
The first time (I think) I remember to an actual scene from the movie was when I watched it from video in the house of a good friend (with whom I used to play "Land before time - let's pretend"). The scene I remember to in particular is the one with the erupting volcanos after the splitting up of the group. No idea why I would remember to that scene in particular, but I do. By that time I must have been six or seven years old.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
In that case, me vividly remembering the events of LBT was when I was eight. It was my distinct link to my mother after she went away when I was fairly young. Somehow, it always reminded me of her whilst she was away and I was living with my dad. Something about it, that I can't even explain today, made me link LBT to her even though I hadn't seen it in a while. I just turned it on one day and something snapped in me and I've never been able to break that link nor understand how that link was established... :(

Funny how things work out eh?! Even though I don't understand how that happened in my young life back then, I welcome it now and smile upon it! :)

KonCepT

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kk_kitsune/
I think I first watched this movie at either a friend's house or a daycare center when I was between 4-6 years old.
But, as Malte says, if you mean "clearly remember" in that way, then I dunno. I was REAL young.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I first watched it when I was three or four years old.  The sequels stuck to me like glue at around five.  Been obsessed ever since.  :wow

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
God I can barely remember anything from when I first watched it. I still remember how it felt though, I LOVED it :lol:

My last visual (At the moment lol, I'll have to do some hard thinkin :lol) was back when I was around 7...somewhere around there lol, when I was watching it with my neice who is same age as me. We were watching the 5th one (*SPOILER*...I guess :rolleyes: lol) and when the big wave started to come she laughed at how much Littlefoot screamed when he saw it. I laughed too and we started making impersonations of it, heh :P:. Dunno why but that one moment is stuck in my mind. I'll have to do some more thinkin :lol

Platvoet en zijn Vriendjes

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/landbeforetime
I don't know exactly when i watched it for the very first time, but i guess it saw it for the first time when i was around the age of 4

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh my...
I wish I could remember, but I do remember this much:

I first saw LBT 1 when I was under 10 years old, though I honestly can't say what age I was.

Ever since LBT 2 came out, I had preferred LBT 2 and 3 over LBT 1, as a child.  LBT 1 just seemed too slow and "boring" for me at the time.  I very much enjoyed LBT 2 and 3 though.  LBT 4 had less interest to me at first.  LBT 2 was lots of fun.  It was my favorite LBT sequel as a kid, and it's still one of my favorites.  :D

As time went on, and I watched the original "Land Before Time" once again, I was able to appreciate it much more.  I haden't seen it for probably 8 years when I first watched it again (with my ex GF, actually.  But that's a completely different story  :p ).  I had never appreciated the original film so much, and I was immediately back in love with the series.  At that time, I was 17.  Over the next couple of years, I had watched the VHS tapes of 1 - 4 many times, and I was in love with all of them.  Finally, I did some more research online, came across this site, bought all the DVDs, and here I am today  :DD

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Since we have gotten some new members since this was originally asked, I thought I woould bump this so they coould offer their insights, too.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I was very young at that time. The only thing I know is that it was LBT 8 I first saw. I can't tell for sure how I liked it back then but apparently I did or else my mother wouldn't have bought the other movies for me :lol: It's still my favourite sequel and I can clearly say it was my favourite until LBT 9 came out in Germany...
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As I mentioned in my story about LBT years back, it was June 2002, and I had been getting into LBT since late last April with Stone of Cold Fire. The most recent film I had seen was "The Big Freeze" a few weeks ago.

It was June 22, and my Dad and I made a trip to the out-of-town dump. The local blockbuster was on the way back, and I asked my dad if we could get an LBT film. He agreed---I remember him saying yes, cause they were cheap---and we got it. That evening, the four of us---my mom, my dad, my sister and I---watched it. And I was shocked.

Seeing the main characters living in the desolate wasteland instead of the Great Valley was strange. But even stranger was the fact that Littlefoot had a mother. I'd always found it odd that he lived with his grandparents, but never really wondered why. Anyways, we watched about half of it and my god, was it depressing. The death of Momma Longneck and the scene with Rooter, and than Littlefoot falling into depression...it was all so dark and slow-paced, it was just a shocker.

I think we paused the movie around the time they all went to sleep, cause the next afternoon, we finished watching it, and there wasn't much left. The tar scene brought back memories of the "Friends in Need Book" that we have a thread on. The only pages we had I think were the one with Cera, her father, and Littlefoot, and the tar monster scene. (As I mentioned in my story, this, LBT 4, a few viewings of LBT 5, and I think a brief viewing of some of the middle of LBT 2---which introduced me to the franchise---were all I knew of LBT until 2002).  And then there was Petrie's "death", and Ducky saying "POOR, POOR Petrie." It made me almost think about how I'd sort of taken the character for granted...had never really thought of him much other than being the silly annoying guy. But his survival, the fact that he learned to fly, and the fact that they all made it to the valley were hardly surprising to me.

And that was my first viewing of the original LBT that I remember. HOWEVER, we did have it taped along with Bambi, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Lady and The Tramp, as I later found out. Could I have seen it at a really young age and not remember it?  :confused

Sable

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://ravenclawdirewolf.tumblr.com
I was around 3 at the time, so I don't remember all that much from the first time I saw it (I'm actually not entirely sure if I even saw the original first), but I distinctly remember watching Littlefoot's mother die. I remember being confused about what was going on, haha...

According to my mom, it was her friend who gave us one of her old LBT movies, starting my dinosaur obsession that forced my parents to buy all the other movies for me
 :lol

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I watched it on VHS after I watched III and then II. I must've found it in my public library, I don't remember much, though.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I actually watched it twice before I could really see it.

My second or third grade teacher brought the film on VHS to class once and put it on for us to watch, but since the TV was small and all the kids were either messing around or talking, I didn't pay much attention to it, even though she brought it especially for me, since I had a great passion about dinosaurs.

In 1997, our national TV broadcaster, RTP, had a December Christmas special programming about dinosaurs, where they were going to air for the first time ever Jurassic Park on TV. However, in the weeks before that, they decided to show The Land Before Time, The Time of the Great Giving and Journey Through the Mist. They skipped the first sequel for some reason. It was in that month that I really saw The Land Before Time for the first time. I've managed to tape Journey Through the Mist, and after I saw it, I got hooked on the franchise.

It's been almost twenty years, and nothing has changed, I fell in love with the film and to this day it still has a very special place in my heart.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool