The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What happened to Cera's mother and sisters?

Saft · 65 · 17517

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nobody here knows for a fact, but many believe they are deceased :cry.  I believe Mr. Threehorn's relationship with Tria and the birth of Tricia in a way confirm this suspicion.  I mean, why else would he find another mate unless things did not work out between the two?  If that were the case, I am sure Cera's sisters would've been in the sequels 'cuz her mother and siblings would still want to have her in their lives.  Also, I think Littlefoot gave it away in LBT XI when he asked Cera if Tria was going to be her new mom.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They have been a bit ambiguous.  One can say either they died in the earthquake, or maybe were separated from Cera's dad the way she was maybe and could not join with him but joined some other 3 horn herd who does not know the way to the great valley & wonders with them, or settled down elsewhere.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
They are rather unclear about that. As you pointed out they were seen after the earthquake. Also especially the early sequels still show them though they are never mentioned. In LBT 2 we see two grownup threehorns coming to the rescue at the sinking sand (it would make sense for the other threehorn to be Cera's mother though it is never stated explicitly). In LBT 2, 3, and 4 we often see threehorns who seem to be a bit younger or (in case of LBT 4) older than Cera who might well be siblings of her. Then there is the undetermined origin of Dinah and Dana in LBT 6. It is not sure if the "auntie" Cera is to be taken literally though as they differ from Cera and the earlier younger threehorns we have seen both in color and the fact that they sport 3 horns.
The producers of the later LBT movies don't seem to care too much about family matters (Bron) and showed so very distinctly by bringing in Tria as a "new mother" but never giving any clue whatsoever about whatever happened with Cera's mother. Her death would be one conclusion but with her presence in LBT 2 one might wonder if rather than dead dinosaurs already "invented" divorce.
Prior to LBT 11 etc. I started writing a story called "Old Threehorns" which features Cera's mother and two of her sisters. In the theory of that story her mother and sisters went missing in an aftershock of the big earthquake. The assumption was that searching for their children who were scattered after the earthquake Cera's father and mother split up before and aftershock of the earthquake hit. Cera's mother and two of her sisters were then picked up by a threehorn herd in that story which ultimately reaches the Great Valley, but has some ideas about the living together of threehorns and others rather different from what the dinosaurs in the Great Valley developed throughout time. However, all in that story is speculative of course though I tried my best to keep it in accordance with the movies that had appeared up to the time when I started writing it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 23 2010 on  03:28 AM
In LBT 2 we see two grownup threehorns coming to the rescue at the sinking sand (it would make sense for the other threehorn to be Cera's mother though it is never stated explicitly). In LBT 2, 3, and 4 we often see threehorns who seem to be a bit younger or (in case of LBT 4) older than Cera who might well be siblings of her. Then there is the undetermined origin of Dinah and Dana in LBT 6. It is not sure if the "auntie" Cera is to be taken literally though as they differ from Cera and the earlier younger threehorns we have seen both in color and the fact that they sport 3 horns.
Personally, I don't think the threehorn in LBT II (who wasn't actually seen "coming to the rescue") is related to Cera. I think it's more likely that he or she was simply another threehorn who happened to be grazing nearby, whose attention was caught by the gang's cries. After all, if you heard a bunch of kids screaming for help, even if they weren't your own, wouldn't you react? Similarly, while the other young threehorns seen in the valley during the early movies could conceivably be Cera's siblings, I doubt that they are. After all, the gang's families can't be the only dinosaurs in the Great Valley who have children.

Dinah and Dana are definitely the monkey wrench in any attempted explanation of Cera's familial relationships. Given that they only appeared in LBT VI, and were never so much as referenced again, I strongly suspect they were just plot device characters whom the filmmakers introduced with little or no consideration for how the gang's families had previously been portrayed. :rolleyes

While Dinah and Dana's colors do differ from Cera's and every other previously seen young threehorn, that is not necessarily evidence that they are a different species. Threehorns, and indeed most LBT dinosaurs, have been shown to have extremely variable coloration, with the main characters usually being the most distinctively colored Although the filmmakers could have made Dinah and Dana the same color as Cera, there's still the matter of enabling viewers to tell one twin from another, which is probably the reason they introduced new color schemes for them. Additionally, another pair of three-horned threehorn children were shown during the introduction of LBT X, accompanied by a parent who didn't look much different from most of the background threehorns we've seen in LBT. Maybe some threehorns are just early bloomers (That's always been my assumption for Dinah and Dana).

If Dinah and Dana's horns are evidence that they are a different kind of dinosaur, then perhaps we should consider Tria, who is not only a strikingly different color from any threehorns we've seen before, but has many more epoccipitals (the small, hornlike bumps along the edge of the frill) than Cera's father (or her mother, for that matter). The fact that Tria and Topsy had a hatchling ought to be clear evidence that she is not too genetically different from him. It's still possible that that Dinah and Dana (and the LBT X threehorns I mentioned before) ARE a different species from Cera, Topsy, and Tria, but it's equally possible that they could just represent one of the many cases of peculiar individual variation among the dinosaurs of LBT.

I have a few other hypotheses for Dinah and Dana's relationship to Cera and her father, and why they are only seen in LBT VI. I can think of a few counterpoints to them, but for now I'd rather let other members make their arguments against them. :p Also, if anyone thinks that I should be posting this in the Dinah and Dana thread in Character Discussion rather than here, I will gladly move it. :yes

ï Dinah and Dana belong to another family of dinosaurs in the Great Valley, who may or may not be related to Cera's family, but are close enough to them that Dinah and Dana think of Cera and her father as their aunt and grandfather. This family had to leave the twins with Cera and her father for some reason or other, and took them back afterwards. The reason we don't see them again could be that they live in another part of the Great Valley, the valley being so large that not all of its inhabitants see each other on a day-to-day basis.

ï Dinah and Dana were lost or orphaned, and Cera and her father cared for them for a while, until either their original family was found, or a new surrogate family adopted them. In this scenario, too, they could be related to Cera and her father, or they could be an entirely different kind of dinosaur.

ï Cera and her father have farwalker relatives who occasionally visit the Great Valley. Dinah and Dana are their children, and during LBT VI, Cera and her father had to babysit them for a time. Afterwards, they left the Great Valley along with their parents. (I saw this explanation used in the fanfic The Land Before Time Onehalf.)

By the way, isn't there already a thread somewhere discussing Cera's missing family? :confused

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Accoring to The Land Before Time wiki, Cera's mother and sibblings were a part of the group Pterano had led into the canyon that was attacked by the fast-biters.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 23 2010 on  06:31 AM
Accoring to The Land Before Time wiki, Cera's mother and sibblings were a part of the group Pterano had led into the canyon that was attacked by the fast-biters.
They were not:

Please PM me the page you got that from so I can fix it.

I'm going to reckon that they're all dead, unless the next movie (If it happens) reveals that tria was her original mother. (Which will make things even more confusing)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Personally, I don't think the threehorn in LBT II (who wasn't actually seen "coming to the rescue") is related to Cera. I think it's more likely that he or she was simply another threehorn who happened to be grazing nearby, whose attention was caught by the gang's cries. After all, if you heard a bunch of kids screaming for help, even if they weren't your own, wouldn't you react? Similarly, while the other young threehorns seen in the valley during the early movies could conceivably be Cera's siblings, I doubt that they are. After all, the gang's families can't be the only dinosaurs in the Great Valley who have children.
I suppose that the respective threehorns are very likely to have been intended as relatives to Cera of some sort, but since they were never really referred to it is easy enough to pretend they were not if it doesn't match the demands of later sequels. They are rather vague and incoherent about such details. The outward appearance of Tricia is just another example for that.
I guess the best thing to do about such deliberate vagueness is to think of the story that suits us best and that is not in major conflict with the existing stories and then go with it :lol
Dinah and Dana were lost or orphaned, and Cera and her father cared for them for a while, until either their original family was found, or a new surrogate family adopted them. In this scenario, too, they could be related to Cera and her father, or they could be an entirely different kind of dinosaur.
This is the scenario I picked for that story "Old Threehorns" I mentioned before. I also must say that I like the idea of such a scenario bringing forth some of the softer and more caring sides of Topsy ;)
Alas the wiki then makes up stories once again which are not official canon. There is certainly no reference whatsoever in the movies about Cera's mother being part of that group.
I considered this possibility for the story "Old Threehorns". The special aversion of Tops against Pterano might have suggested such a theory. However, apart from Cera's mother and sisters being not shown in the movie there are two other major points speaking against the idea of Cera's mother and sister being with Pterano's group.
1. Cera had been told about the Pterano incident prior to LBT 7 but told that she had forgotten what exactly happened. If it had been for Cera's mother and sisters getting killed because of this I daresay it is nothing that Cera would ever forget.
2. If Cera's mother and sisters had been with Pterano this would have suggested them to leave Tops and him deciding not to accompany them and Pterano. This sounds extremely unlikely to me.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 23 2010 on  06:46 AM
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 23 2010 on  06:31 AM
They were not:

Please PM me the page you got that from so I can fix it.

I'm going to reckon that they're all dead, unless the next movie (If it happens) reveals that tria was her original mother. (Which will make things even more confusing)
I know they aren't seen in the scene, but that's just what most fans most think.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
My prediction is that her mother and siblings were with Pterano's herd and they died in that sharptooth attack...save for Layla and Jordon...who appear in Always the Same Sun.  :DD
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
That would be one bizzare coincidence that might lead us to a completely new dramatic confrontation between Cera and Pterano in some of more darkly-themed fanfics. :)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's whats going on in Pterano's RP right now, actually. And yeah, it's making for some great drama :)

And that is still a great idea, TFM. Probably the best from your sorta meh second story. I'm actually wanting to use a tweaked version of that idea someday in my TV series fic.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well we saw a Pink Dinosaur that could have been Cera's Mom,.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If you're talking about the pink Triceratops in The Invasion of The Tinysaurses that would just happen to be Tria, Cera's step-mother, not her real mother.

Also, the Cera's mother and sisters being involved in the Pterano incident is stirring up a bit of drama in Pterano's RP, and, it's actually kind of a possible theory once you really think about it. As for my own ideas, I've always thought they just died in the Great Earthshake (forgive me if I've already posted this).

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah maybe she did die in the first movie  after the Earth Shake. She is never mentioned again after the first movie.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
You can see her the last time when Cera calls for her parents after the earthquake on the other side of the rift.

I would say if she died in the first movie then it was in the area with the volcanos and the tar pit because (if she was stubborn like her daughter) she took the wrong way like Cera.

But I don't think that it was the intention of Bluth to let her die. I think it was artistic freedom of the following producers to show the difficulty of the lonely father/daughter relationship.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
The only thing I ever heard about this was in the eleventh movie.  Also, in the end, did they include the cell, when she met her family back?  Didn't she meet up with them and they were visually shown?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah that could be the case. Maybe they wanted to see what a farther and daughter relationship was like. No one ones for sure what happened to her.

jalistair

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Sorry to revive a seemingly dead topic but I noticed something that I don't think anyone else has. In the first film, after the Sharptooth attack and the earthquake hits. There is that big shot of the chasm breaking apart and a group of Dinosaurs running away from the crevice right? well a few days ago I noticed that some of the dinosaurs that get taken down with a piece of the earth look like baby triceratops. This is just a theory but there is about six or seven of them and they all fall into the chasm. maybe Cera's sisters were those Three-horns and we've never noticed it before. but as I said, just speculation here guys.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry to revive a seemingly dead topic
On the contrary. Personally I really like seeing old topics revived whenever there is something to be added to them. I want to commend many of our recently joined members for bringing back earlier threads with new additions rather than starting new threads on the same topics :yes

Unfortunately we never learned much details about any family members of Cera other than her Dad. While the movie suggests that Cera's mother and at least some of her siblings survived the earthquake to appear in the closing scenes in the Great Valley it is never really specified. We don't know if there were any siblings of Cera other than those we saw in the opening scene. I guess it is quite possible that some of them did not survive the earthquake. With the very limited information we got on the family of Cera (and all the others except for Littlefoot for that matter) I'm afraid there is no way to be certain about this.

Dreamcake101

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Feb 23 2009 on  01:49 PM
Its not stated for sure, but it is likely they died. Topsy ended up marrying again. (Tria) and Now Cera has a step-mom and step-sister.
I have watched the one where they meet
Petrie's uncle and he wanted to be the leader
So when the the Heard  separated she went with Petrie's uncle
And the people who went with him died!!!they were attacked by sharp touths
And that what happened
Hope this helps  :angel