The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does everyone hate Wisdom of Friends?

ChomperSharptooth2

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I mean, come on, Littlefoot actually learns that he's not always right here, which is good for him!  

Also, the Yellow Bellies are funny, yet so many seem to hate them like so many hate Jar Jar Binks (another awesome and underrated character).  

I actually love Loofah and Doofah.  

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know.  Perhaps because of the farting and how they defeated the Sharpteeth.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I like the movie and the message it is trying to convey, but I don't like the way the yellow bellies act. They have made it a movie so extremely targeted at young children that adults are less likely to watch it. When you compare that to the original movie, a far stretch I know, it is sadly nothing else than a disappointment.

This however does not make it a bad movie. It's a great kids movie, lots of catchy songs and the yellow bellies are funny. But if you compare it to the original target audience (everyone) it is a bit of a letdown.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Why does everyone hate this movie? The songs suck, the plot sucks and copies the first movie, the yellow bellies can be funny but they're just stupid, and the movie has severely badly treated sharpteeth.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The Yellowbellies are annoying and it seems out of character for Littlefoot to act the way he did.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm one of those with a less extreme opinion on the movie. I really liked the lesson but I'm not sure if the lesson could stick with less dumbed down characters as well... The Yellowbellies are... weird (not as bad as Wild Arms though
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My memory of this movie is pretty hazy. I've watched through it twice: once in 2007 when it first released and another time around 2010 when my friend and I tried to do a marathon (we failed and did it in segments). I've never even owned the movie until just recently when I bought the 14 movie box set.

I do remember hating the movie quite a bit for the reasons already stated. Yellowbellies being unbearable at points (the only funny parts from this seem to be from the gangs reaction to how hopelessly inept they appear to be), sharpteeth getting beat by "singing and dancing". I think at that point they're not too far off from saving the day through Care Bear-esque friendship beams shooting out of their chests. 'Say So' and 'Yellowbelly Bounce' I also feel are pretty underwhelming.

Others have mentioned the morale of the story and I too think it's pretty decent and I actually really like 'How Do You Know'. It's up pretty high up on my ambiguous list of favorite LBT songs.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
well, I do NOT hate it. I dislike it in the same level as the the rest of last LBT movies. Since there wasn't sequel movie on the level as original, a lot of endless singing, stupid sharpteeth, not-convincing dangers, empty feelings of vharacters (looking at you, LBT14, you so failed to be a good movie! :/), childish situations... I try to notice only strong or very-potential moments, and so I'm able to enjoy of watching LBT, even since LBT11 to LBT14 and TV series, where level of childish is extreme, and when thry come, I turn "silly child mode" on, and try to laugh. XD
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think at that point they're not too far off from saving the day through Care Bear-esque friendship beams shooting out of their chests.

Indeed. The whole feeling of the film doesn't feel like LBT in the first place, especially as the Yellowbellies don't actually resemble dinosaurs. They really seem to have escaped from some early morning kid show which really ruins the film's chances of being any good. However, I don't hate the songs at all since I find Say So somewhat catchy and How Do You Know is actually a solid one (save for Petrie's part). I stated in an old post that LBT 13 could have been a solid remake of the ninth film (both have the same kind of plots) but the Yellowbellies are just too much for the Gang to carry through.

The Yellowbellies are... weird (not as bad as Wild Arms though

Why is that? They're somewhat similar characters but Wild Arms doesn't look, at least to me, as annoying and we don't really even see him a whole lot in JOTB, thankfully.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Exactly.
For me, Wild Arms is better than Yellowbellies only because he has screentime several times shorter. Otherwise - he's equal to our favorite yellowbelly gang. :D
6/14
0/26

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say so. While Wild Arms is certainly annoying, he's only a regular comic relief and not the worst one in animated films, imo. Yellowbellies are completely brain dead and make no sense as characters while Wild Arms is "merely" a fearful and hysteric guy.  In addition, he actually resembles a dinosaur and he doesn't seriously infantilize the movie like the 13th film's finale and Yellow Belly Bounce did.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:14:23 PM by Sovereign »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I would personally boil it all down to the Yellow Bellies. They are definitely the Jar Jars of the LBT series with the way they were acting. The movie would've been fine had their characterizations been worked on a little better.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why is that? They're somewhat similar characters but Wild Arms doesn't look, at least to me, as annoying and we don't really even see him a whole lot in JOTB, thankfully.
He was unneccessary. Simple as that. They should've brought back Shorty instead of creating him. I do see your point of him resembling an actual dinosaur but he's far more annoying and obnoxious than the Yellowbellies. Probably the only character in the franchise I actually hate, I can tolerate the Yellowbellies to some degree but not Wild Arms.  :sducky

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
They should've brought back Shorty instead of creating him.

I think we all agree on this issue and I see your point in disliking Wild Arms that much because he wasted so much of JOTB's potential. However, I'd much rather watch more of Wild Arms than the Yellowbellies if we only think of them as characters but I guess it is only a matter of preference.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I really have no strong opinions on the yellowbellies or Wild Arms. I don't particularly like them or hate them. Having said that, I too would've much rather seen Shorty in JOTB instead of Wild Arms.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
emm, actually, I don't mind to see BOTH Wild Arms and Shorty, IF the former was good personality character.
Sigh, why all they are not like Etta?.. Dammit, she's possibly my favorite adult character besides longnecks trio from original movie! :D She is funny looking and talking, but when I see her, I... trust it's very alive and colorful being and can survive in the world, not like someone... гг
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:03:25 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah it all comes down to tastes and preferances in the end. Sometimes it's not even easy to find a good explanation in the first place.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
well yeah, preferances are preferances, but we still can describe what exactly bad or good in character as we think. People can make full analysis between yellowbelly gang and Wild arms and tell why I think they're bad and who is worse. The same with general movie, why it's bad.
6/14
0/26

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I do wonder why they were unable to bring Shorty back for JOTB. Did they simply forget? It couldn't be because of budgetary reasons.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Quote from: Dr. Rex on Jan 23 2018, 12:43:36 AM
I do wonder why they were unable to bring Shorty back for JOTB. Did they simply forget? It couldn't be because of budgetary reasons.
still wanting to ask somebody such question. Ducky's or Cera's voice actress, for example. *roillseye*
Srsl, I saw one of them is even registered on forum, and I saw both somewhere made a chat with people, if I rememeber correctly... Is there a way to contact them?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:24:22 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26