The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is it possible that I have asperger's?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I keep asking myself this. I seem to have the same experiences as other people who had Asperger's, like not being able to socialize with ease, getting nervous when talking to people of higher ranks (or when facing a certain test/exam), difficulty of making direct eye contact when talking with another person, having VERY strong interests in something (in my case, computers :p), etc. I don't even fit in with my friends at school - it's like I'm the only one in school who's different. :blink:

Then I took an AQ test that I found on the web, and I scored a 31. Does this mean anything?

(and no, I don't wanna spend too much cash just to go to the doctor's and have my brain diagnosed :p)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, the only proper way to get a proper diagnosis is to be evaluated by a doctor.  An online test may give you an idea, but its far from the correct way to make a diagnosis.  A doctor can determine which items may associate behavior to Aspergers, but certain things need to be there and they need to be consistent (meaning they occur often, not just once in a while).

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I agree with Petrie here. Whilst online tests can give you a possible idea, you don't know who has formulated them and to what degree of accuracy they carry (if any). Best thing to do, if you are concerned, is to see a doctor who can check you over properly. As resourceful as the internet can be, it's not wise to take its given information as gospel.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Coming from an Aspie, there best way to find out is to be evaluated by a professional, preferably one who specializes in Autistic Spectrum Disorders :yes.  If you're indeed an Aspie, there's no shame in it.  It's actually quite common.  In fact, if you're interested, Amy had started a topic on AS in the AM Section.  Many members with AS have made posts in there.  I'm sure you'll find the information discussed by members to be informative ;).

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Also coming from someone who has Asperger's...you shouldn't rely on a self diagnosis that you found on the internet.  It's only a rough guide as to possible explanations, it's always best to be evaluated by a professional.  

As CT said, if you are indeed an Aspie, there is no shame being one.  A diagnosis just confirms and helps you to understand reasons why.  

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck.:)

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
Agree: 2,13,16,18,20,21,22,23,26,35,39,42,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,8,10,11,15,17,28,31,32,38,44,47,50: 1 point
Score: 28

Is that bad? I know that I'm not very good at finding friends, and I don't have the same interests as normal people have, but I don't think that I suffer from Asperger's syndrome. To be honest, I've never thought about this kind of illness.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^
I am unfamiliar with the online tests.  
However, if you feel that you don't have AS even though you say that you aren't very good at making and keeping friends nor do you have the same interests as other people..then I wouldn't worry about a diagnosis.  There are some people who are just introverted.  

So I wouldn't worry too much nor set in store over a online test as I said above they are just rough guides anyway.  :)

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
However, if you feel that you don't have AS even though you say that you aren't very good at making and keeping friends nor do you have the same interests as other people..then I wouldn't worry about a diagnosis. There are some people who are just introverted.

So I wouldn't worry too much nor set in store over a online test as I said above they are just rough guides anyway. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice! :D Maybe I'm just born at the wrong place...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I said it before, I really don't think that some of the symptoms are enough to make a person a subject of the Asperger's syndrome. Many people have a number of the symptoms (myself included), but that does not make them have the symptom.
I think that nowadays we spend A LOT more time on computers and with online contacts than people did just ten and certainly twenty years ago. As a consequence many of our generation do have less real life contacts and being not quite as accustomed to it as most members of earlier generations were. I also think that (and I must stress once more that no offense whatsoever and least of all any disrespect towards anyone with the Asperger syndrome iis meant) movies such as "Rainman" and reports about Savant syndrome that may come along with Aspergers may excert a certain fascination that may even cause people sub-consciously "wish" to have Asperger's as it can also work as an easy answer to many of the difficult questions which everydaylife is giving us. Many of us have some symptoms of autism, but latent forms of autism are not the same as Aspergers and latent forms of autism (if the term autism is in place in these cases I am talking about at all) is a lot more common than Aspergers. Given the very, very small percentage of people with Asperger syndrome we have a surprisingly high number of members with Asperger Syndrom. According to Wikipedia estimates of Asperger prevalence of Asperger vary depending on how high the scale is set to be recognized with Aspergers between 0,03 and 4,84 per 1000 people (remember there are some 200 active members here) and the ratio between people with some form of autism and people with Aspergers also varies a lot depending on definitions.
But as I pointed out, our forms of communication vary a lot as a result of the internet and other means of communication. Consequently we grow less accustomed to more direct contacts and some may be lost with what we have won through the modern means of communication. This rather than disproportionally large numbers of us being subject to the Asperger syndrom is likely to be a cause for the problems many of us have when dealing with people. We should not however allow ourselves to give up on seeking direct contact with people (if that is what we want) on the excuse of being unable to do so because we were subjects of the Asperger syndrome (again NO disrespect whatsoever intended to anyone who really does have the Asperger syndrome).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Don't trust an online test! The questions were way too generic to accurately predict anything. I know for a fact that I don't have Aspergers and I got 19, which is above the 'average' norm. the test also says bluntly that "The test is not a means for making a diagnosis."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The more important question is, what are you going to do if you have it?  I know I have it even though I've never had an "official" diagnosis where they fill out a form and do all that BS.  But I also know that I'm very high-functioning, which means "mild" in a sense.  I consider myself lucky and attribute my advanced skills with computers to the fact that I have AS.  I'm also Bi-Polar, which sucks, but that's mild for me as well so I can handle it.   ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think having an official diagnosis is better than trusting information you read on the internet. I was told it's not a good idea to "diagnose yourself". It's best to leave it to a professional.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I was recognized as having Asperger's when I was very young, so I don't have any firsthand recollection of how the diagnosis works (in other words, my judgment probably isn’t any more conclusive or accurate than the test’s :p), but from the reasons you gave for suspecting that you have Asperger's, it sounds more likely to me that you're just shy. As far as I know, to get nervous about a test or in the presence of authority is nothing unusual, and I think one of the characteristics of AS isn't so much strong interests as narrow, stereotyped ones (in my case, just about everything I amóand ever have beenóinterested in has had to do with science; mainly animals, paleontology, and natural history). If computers are your ONLY interest (or you have few interests besides), then that might be a sign that you have AS.

What about other traits commonly associated with Asperger's? Do you...
ï have difficulty empathizing with other people?
ï have a hard time “reading” other people’s facial expressions, body language, etc.?
ï tend to be very blunt and outspoken in your opinions?
ï have difficulty starting and/or ending a conversation?
ï get bored easily if the conversation you’re in doesn’t involve your interests?
ï often find yourself talking extensively about your interests?
ï have trouble telling when people are joking or being sarcastic?

Sorry; it’s like I’m making you take the test all over again. :oops And if you’d rather not share too many personal details, ignore me. :p

Quote from: Malte279,Feb 5 2010 on  05:09 PM
Given the very, very small percentage of people with Asperger syndrome we have a surprisingly high number of members with Asperger Syndrom.
I suspect the reason for this is because (from what I've heard) Aspies are more likely than neurotypical people to retain childhood interests such as LBT into later life. In other words, a large portion of the people who become interested in LBT, and do not "grow out of it" are those with Asperger's. This is only a hypothesis on my part, and as I do not know the "LBT histories" of all the members with AS on this forum (when they became interested in LBT), I cannot say for certain how accurate it is, but it's my best guess for the disparity in the number of Aspies on the GOF versus the prevalence of Asperger's in the real world.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: 2007excalibur2007,Feb 5 2010 on  04:58 AM
I keep asking myself this. I seem to have the same experiences as other people who had Asperger's, like not being able to socialize with ease, getting nervous when talking to people of higher ranks (or when facing a certain test/exam), difficulty of making direct eye contact when talking with another person, having VERY strong interests in something (in my case, computers :p), etc. I don't even fit in with my friends at school - it's like I'm the only one in school who's different. :blink:

Then I took an AQ test that I found on the web, and I scored a 31. Does this mean anything?

(and no, I don't wanna spend too much cash just to go to the doctor's and have my brain diagnosed :p)
I think I mention this in the JD forum. Just remember to be careful and don't hurt the feelings of people. I you do that very often you may be one.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
1. Get. A. Doctor. For. Diagnosis
2. EMBRACE Asperger's. It is NOT as terrible as you think. I'm an Aspie. And because of it, I'm who I am and I love who I am.

And researchers are starting to think that some of our most BRILLIANT historical folks- such as Benjamen Franklin and Thomas Jefferson- were indeed Aspies. That's enough to make me feel pretty darn happy.

There is, however, a difference between female Aspergers and male. I would HIGHLY suggest doing some research, and through that, you may learn some more about yourself.