The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New Land Before Time emotes for Discord/the forum

Mumbling · 164 · 26504

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi all! :wave

Recently there was a discussion on the Discord group to add more LBT related emotes on the server. Sneak came up with the genius idea of turning it into a drawing competition! While I think this is a great idea, I think we would get a bigger amount of submissions if we would accept both drawn emotes and images taken from screenshots from the movies/tv series.

These emotes are currently available on the Discord server.

Many of these are similar as those available on the forum. There's mostly a big trend of happy faces :Mo :)littlefoot (twice), but also Ducky and Topps (lol) in the bottom row.

There are a few other emotions, such as  :sducky:^^spike:(petrie and  x(cera, but I think we can all agree that some more variation couldn't hurt!

I think it would be great to have some more emotions that could be expressed through our beloved dino faces. These would be the most prominent, but please let me know if you have some great ideas to add to this list and I'll update it as we go!
 :o (surprise)
 :slap (facepalm)
 ;) (wink)
(thinking)
 :P (the classic sticking out your tongue)
Anger/rage
Blushing
Crying
Evil smile/plotting
Shining star in eyes
Hunger

On top of this list of emotes, I think it would also be good to have a big variation of characters. Several characters are currently not at all represented and would love to be in the spot light. Think Ruby, Ali, Guido, Sharptooth, the Yellow Bellies (OK maybe not :lol). Austin has this useful character list on his website (not complete, but still a nice overview):
http://thelandbeforetime.org/characters/

First things first. We need some ideas! If you can think of a great combo (Ducky123 mentioned Ruby + thinking, for example), please let me know below and I'll try to gather the ideas here. Then I think we'll turn it into a weekly drawing competition. Please keep in mind the emotes are rather small, so they cannot be extremely detailed as it would be hard to make out what's on the screen.

Ideas:
  • Thinking - Littlefoot, Ruby
  • Surprise - Petrie, Ducky, Chomper
  • Facepalm - Ruby, Cera, Guido, Shorty
  • Wink - Ali, Chomper, Spike, Mo
  • The classic sticking out your tongue - Ali, Shorty, Mo, Yellowbellies, Cera
  • Hunger - Spike nomming on leaves, Chomper licking lips
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:16:28 PM by Mumbling »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I like you liked an idea about competition.
C'mon, friendly competitions and any other teamwork is always best solution, me think. :)

------

unfortunately, I can't come with single character for each emotion... I list here at least couple variants for characters for each emotion:

Surprise - Petrie, Ducky, Chomper

Facepalm - Ruby, Cera, Guido, Shorty

Wink - Ali, Chomper, Spike, Mo

Thinking - Littlefoot, Ruby

The classic sticking out your tongue - Ali, Shorty, Mo, YELLOWBELLIES!!! ^^ (I wouldn't remember them if you didn't mention them, Mumbling :P )

Maybe we can add more emotions/expression, like anger/rage, blush, actual crying, evil smile or planning, shining star in eyes (like Ruby had)...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:57:09 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
can I ask: is size of emotions fixed (how many pixels)? And so small?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:58:34 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For Discord: yes. All emotes are scaled down automatically to a certain resolution. However the resolution depends on the font size you've set up on Discord so it differs per person. The default setting (font scaling at 100%) would show emotes at 25x25px for an emote in a message, and at 35x35px for an emote on its own (without any further text in the message).

It seems like we went with a resolution of 40x40px for the forum LBT emotes and I think that is a good resolution to work with. Big enough to show some detail, but not too big to actually make it hard to place on the same line in a message.

However, as Discord scales down images automatically, I think it is OK to work with bigger images. You just have to keep in mind that as the images are downscaled, they might become more pixelated and hard to make out. Say 150x150px.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Is hunger an emotion?

I'm thinking A Chomper Licking his chops. :P

Something like this one

Maybe another one with Spike, with his mouth full of leaves or something.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:35:38 AM by vonboy »
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
How about this for anger? Angry Ducky emote.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:42:06 PM by Serris »

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
[EDIT]With Mathbot on the discord server I doubt we need the capital Sigma and integration sign anymore as well.

Drawing emotes would be pretty fun! I don't know of a way for me to do any digital drawing though and mainly just stuck with traditional at the moment.

On the topic of shining star in eyes, zero-point pointed out this interesting thumbnail option on that one land before time YouTube channel :p
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:31:59 PM by Flathead770 »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
heh, I actually referenced to this awesome Ruby picture with stars in eyes when I told about this emotion. :D
I also see Littlefoot with it, possibly observing a star in the night sky that represents his mom.

Edit:

new emotions ideas:

Anger/rage: Chomper, Cera, Sharptooth

Blushing: Ducky, Cera, Shorty

Crying: Littlefoot, Ducky, Cera

Evil smile/plotting: Ducky, Ruby, Cera, Shorty, Guido.

Shining star in eyes: Ruby, Littlefoot, Chomper

Hunger: Chomp.. nah, that would be disgusting I guess...  :sducky. Spike, Littlefoot
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:24:08 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wasn't going to do this, but since you guys are taking ones made from screencaps, I think I will see about making some. I'll fill in my character ideas later.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
But it's drawing contest, right? Screenshots are for picture how it would look. :)

This competition is perfect chance to finally finish my set of custom emotions.

*pets unfinished Sharptooth*
Stay calm for a bit longer, boy. Soon I will back to you, I promise.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:54:47 PM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would like to allow for both drawings and screenshots for emotes. This is just so that people who cant draw also have a chance to contribute. However we can still decide which one best suits our needs and we could have both drawn and screenshotted emotes for a greater variety. I'm hoping for at least one drawn emote picked per 'category', but if a screenshot is just as nice, why not, right? :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Sneak,

Ducky is standing in front of you, making a begging face (could be an emote too, will add a pic when I'm back on my PC). She is saying. "Dear Sneak, I do love those emotes in your signature, yes I do! Please please please may we add them to the forum and the discord, oh may we?" :lol (I'm serious, they're perfect! :DD )

On a related note, I would suggest Cera from Lbt 1 for tongue emote when she sticks out her tongue at Littlefoot. Can draw it traditionally until, say, sunday? How does that sound? :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Dear Ducky. You should know that pleading, puppy eyes, sweet voice or any other tactics doesn't work on a true sharpteeth...

Stupid Claws:  :oops

Yeah. So to be not eaten, and make a chance for my emotions be posted on forum or discord, I challenge you and others to this competition. Only the best ones would appear on emotions desk! ROAR!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:00:35 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ducky, I'll add the suggestion! :)

Ok so let's get started! I think one emote at the time would be a good idea, so let's just go down the list and start with Thinking - Littlefoot, Ruby. It has to look something along the lines of:

Other characters are also welcome if you get a surge of inspiration of course. Now, some guidelines which I think make the process easier for everyone:
1. If you want to join through submitting a screenshot, please limit yourself to just 1 screenshot. Pick the best one! :)
2. The drawing doesn't have to be 100% colored or digital. If you have an amazing idea, just a sketch will do. We can always digitize them later if our talented digital artists want to help out with that.
3. You'll have one week to submit something. However I won't be around next week Wednesday, which I totally forgot about, so for this first first week please submit your stuff by Tuesday 20 November before 20:00 CET!
4. I'll make a separate voting posts in which I collect all the drawings and screenshot, where you can vote on your favorites. The one(s) with the most votes will be finalized and made into an avatar in the week that follows it.
5. I'll open up the next competition right after creating the voting topic.
6. The more the merrier, so even if you think you might not be good at drawing, please feel free to join in and submit something!

Good luck and have fun!

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
well, maybe I will find time to draw Littlefoot (I would very like),but for now - here's one of old custom emotions I drew for forum:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:01:06 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So you state that if you're submitting a screenshot to only limit it to 1, but would that also extend to sketches as well? Seems intrinsic of sketches to do more then one :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha good question! Eh, perhaps just limit to one per person then! This first week is mostly a test run, so we'll see how things go :D

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The thinking Ruby is agood choice I think
Inactive, probably forever.