The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

'Tis a special day...

Petrie · 23 · 4364

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well I thank you for taking some of that off of our shoulders, but we're stubborn, no two guesses about it.  If it isn't economically feasable, we won't do anything about it until we're forced to.  <_<

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Perhaps so. What really worries me is the increasing influence of big businesses. I'm not a communist (at the current state of mankind the ideals of communism simply can't work), but I'm very distrustful about CEOs and the influence they take on politics and even our daily lives.
During my students exchange to America the matter of taxation of the wealthy was discussed. And the statement given by our teacher (a very good pedagogue and nice man by the way), was that actually the only just system of taxation was if everone had to pay the same percentage of his income. Back then I didn't think too much about it and I didn't contradict. Today I would.
If one considers the fact that meanwhile some CEOs earn more than 400 times (!) as much as their blue-collar workers I really think that something is awfully wrong. Sure, these people do have a great responsibility and ought to get a very good pay for it. But firstly NOBODY needs to earn 400 times as much as an average worker, and secondly I find that many of the CEOs do not show the responsibility they are paid for. If well working factories are closed because in a country with less rights for the workers it would earn the business $120 million a year rather than $100 million a year this is irresponsible!
And despite of the harm it does to the countries many of such businesses receive huge funds of taxmoney which they firstly don't need while their businesses flourish, and which they secondly don't use to do something for the country (creating jobs) in return, because workers elsewhere are so much cheaper. And while rich people get ever richer and poor people ever poorer, why is it that it is mainly the rich who benefit from most of the recent taxcuts?
All this really drives me mad  :angry:
It does not happen only in America. Right now "Karstadt" a large German department store business is about to downsize thousands of workers. The CEO who got the business into that situation by making wrong decisions got a severance pay of Ä 10 million (while his previous pay would do already to guarantee him a workless life in luxury)! What for did he get it?
I'm sure that if one asked the people only a tiny majority (consisting of a few CEOs) would say that he deserved the money. So why does he get it?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Certainly not that much!  :angry:   Certainly not any!

Recently we've started cracking down and despising those in high positions for swindling - Enron - Martha Stewart, it's just so corrupt at the top....really....