The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Whatcha playin'?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@jorrdy12 and I have begun to play Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Inactive, probably forever.

Metro717

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Recently played some SplitWolf, A.K.A. Wolfenstein 3D with Split Screen Multiplayer with a few friends of mine.
Had so much fun with it!
Long-lost LBT fan.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Submachine
Deltarune
Act Of War: Direct Action
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Silent Hill: Origins. Last Silent Hill game in my full collection that I need to beat!

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Recently been doing another play through of Doom 2016 and going through on Nightmare difficulty and getting pretty close to the end. Also playing Hollow Knight for the first time. Both of these should tide me over until Smash comes out.

Metro717

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Been playing Command & Conquer: Red Alert Online with friends for a few days now, and we love it!
Long-lost LBT fan.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finished LEGO Batman: The Videogame earlier this week. Much like the first Lego Indiana Jones game, this one is almost entirely just the content of the levels, with not much else going on in the hub area. What makes this game more interesting is that there are a group of levels for playing as the heroes (Batman and Robin) and another group for playing as the villains (various DC villains, but mostly Riddler, Penguin, and Joker), so it feels like observing the same series of events from both sides (and since this is the only one of the older Lego games not based on any movies or TV shows, trying to figure out what's going on without any dialogue is an interesting challenge). It's also neat that Batman and Robin can change outfits to use different abilities. I suppose a minor downside is that some of the bonus items to collect in freeplay mode can be really difficult to obtain, so don't expect this one to be simple just because there's not much else to do outside the levels. I would consider this another rather good Lego game, but not among my favorites.

Next on my list of Lego games to play; LEGO Batman 2 - DC Super Heroes

I just started playing today (first time I've ever seen any content from this game at all, in fact), and while I knew that this one was going to be different from all the earlier Lego games (it's the very first one where the characters actually speak), I'm quite surprised by just how much different it already appears to be (so I guess the dividing line between the eight oldest Lego games and the ones that came later is much sharper than I had anticipated, as if 2012 was the year where the developers suddenly decided to go in a completely different direction). Let's just say that the hub area is so vast that I'm a little afraid I could end up getting frequently lost once I complete the story levels and try to go for 100% completion.

And since I seem to be ranking how much I've liked the Lego games I've played, here's the list so far, with most favorite at the top and least favorite at the bottom:
The LEGO Movie Videogame
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - The Videogame
LEGO Indiana Jones 2 - The Adventure Continues
LEGO Star Wars III - The Clone Wars
LEGO Batman - The Videogame
LEGO Indiana Jones - The Original Adventures
LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga
LEGO Harry Potter - Years 5-7
LEGO Harry Potter - Years 1-4

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Been playing the Spider-Man game, and it is epic.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finished LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes last week. As I had previously mentioned, this game is so dramatically different than all the previous Lego games, and yet very similar to most of the later games, so this is the one where many of the now common features first appeared; the characters actually speak, all fifteen levels are in a single series rather than being divided into separate series, you can actually save your progress through levels by activating a save point in certain locations (very useful in case if the game crashes, so you won't have to restart from the beginning), and the hub region is a single very massive area to explore. My fears of getting lost in exploring Gotham City were quickly erased when I discovered that I could pull up a map and use the "scan" feature to check exactly which items I had not yet collected and where they are. But as much as I loved this game, there are two significant downsides. First, like most previous Lego games, this one is auto save only, which means you can't manually save whenever you want to, and the only way to save your progress is to actually accomplish something, like complete a level or collect or purchase something while exploring Gotham City (I really hope I'll soon reach the point where manually saving the game became a standard feature of Lego games). The other downside involves switching costumes while playing levels in freeplay mode; unlike the first game where you could easily switch to any costume at any time (as is also the case later in the third game), here you can only switch to certain costumes in certain locations, so if you switch to another character and then switch back to Batman or Robin, you'll need to backtrack (sometimes quite a long distance) to retrieve the costume needed to get past certain obstacles, which I find to be highly inconvenient. Aside from those two things, I really loved what this game had to offer, and I would very much enjoy playing it again if I ever get a chance to do so.

Next on my list of Lego games to play; LEGO The Lord of the Rings

I'm actually going to wait until next week before I start playing this game (which will be right after new year's day). As of right now, it is the only Lego game for which I have never seen any content of (either by playing myself or watching someone else play), so this should be an interesting experience. I should probably note that, of all the franchises featured among all of these Lego games, Lord of the Rings is the one that I have the absolute least interest in, so if I end up not putting this game at the bottom of my rankings list, then at least that'll show the game was structured in a good way. (Also of note, this is the earliest Lego game for which Steam offers achievements to unlock, so from now on for all of the Lego games I'll play next, I'm not just going for 100% completion, but also for all of the Steam achievements to unlock.)

And as I'll continue to include with all of my future updates, here's my rankings list of all the Lego games I've played so far:
The LEGO Movie Videogame
LEGO Batman 2 - DC Super Heroes
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:37:32 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

mikkelkasper

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I am currently playing Fifa 19 pro..i love the game..so poor on the field but in this world
i dominate the possession..the goals..i make and break the rules. :D

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finished LEGO The Lord of the Rings earlier this week. To start off, I've already stated that this franchise is the one I am least interested in among all the Lego games. Thankfully, unlike the Harry Potter games, this one is actually structured quite decently, for the most part. One feature I miss from the older Lego games is the ability to pick up and use items laying around, and this game sort of brings that back by finding and collecting items throughout the levels (much like the minikit parts) that in freeplay you can then select from a list and use them at any time, many of which come with abilities that otherwise could only be done by certain characters. In addition, the system of collecting gold bricks (known in this game as mythril bricks) is similar to Lego Batman 2, but with the addition of being able to craft a certain amount of these bricks to create special items you can use like the other items, with the designs to be able to craft these items also being items that you must find and collect. Also, the map for the hub exploration is similar to Lego Batman 2, except all the items to find are always visible once you've activated the marker points in each section. My biggest issue with this game is how difficult some items are to collect, such as minikits to grab in areas where you're just running (so if you miss them, you can't go back and you'll have to repeat the whole level all over again), and some of the mythril bricks in the hub world being very difficult to reach (such as at the end of obstacle courses that you'll have to repeat from the start if you fall off anywhere). If I was a fan of Lord of the Rings, I'd be willing to overlook those very difficult moments, but I'm still not a fan, so I'll rank this game near the bottom of what I consider to be among the better games, so not bad at all.

Next on my list of Lego games to play; LEGO The Hobbit

As I mentioned last time, I have already watched the story content of all the remaining Lego games I have not yet played, so I'll be going into the rest of these games with some familiarity. For this one, I know that there's some new features that did not exist in the one I had just finished. What I do not yet know about is all the freeplay content that will come after the story, so if Hobbit is anything like Lord of the Rings, I'll expect to see some interesting things to find, though some of which might be a little tricky to find.

My rankings of all Lego games I've played so far:
The LEGO Movie Videogame
LEGO The Lord of the Rings

- Berix

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Did you get the disco phial? We had loads of fun just making enemies dance in the most unfortunate situations  :lol

Personally, I found LEGO LOTR a lot better than LEGO The Hobbit for a multitude of reasons. The Hobbit felt like a quick cash grab, at least when I played it. Very buggy (though I assume most of that is patched out now), literally animating the LEGO characters scene by scene to reflect the first two movies. Very little of the usual funny moments in LEGO games. Oh yeah, and they promised a DLC for the 3rd movie - never came. It is an unfinished game. I'm interested to see your list once you've played all the games and compare it to mine (though there are several I haven't touched).

I'm personally also playing through a LEGO game. Some might find it the ultimate one: LEGO Dimensions. Each new level brings a new surprise as you have no idea what they got the rights to this time around haha. I have yet to buy any of the level of character expansions, so let's see how I fare in this toys-to-life game without investing in the toys.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Did you get the disco phial? We had loads of fun just making enemies dance in the most unfortunate situations  :lol

Personally, I found LEGO LOTR a lot better than LEGO The Hobbit for a multitude of reasons. The Hobbit felt like a quick cash grab, at least when I played it. Very buggy (though I assume most of that is patched out now), literally animating the LEGO characters scene by scene to reflect the first two movies. Very little of the usual funny moments in LEGO games. Oh yeah, and they promised a DLC for the 3rd movie - never came. It is an unfinished game. I'm interested to see your list once you've played all the games and compare it to mine (though there are several I haven't touched).

I'm personally also playing through a LEGO game. Some might find it the ultimate one: LEGO Dimensions. Each new level brings a new surprise as you have no idea what they got the rights to this time around haha. I have yet to buy any of the level of character expansions, so let's see how I fare in this toys-to-life game without investing in the toys.

I briefly used that disco phial only once, immediately after hitting a few enemies with a skeleton sword, because those were the requirements for unlocking one of the achievements. (I probably should have mentioned that in addition to 100% completion, I also unlocked all 48 achievements.) Because I have so many Lego games that I want to go through, I'm only interested in 100% completion and unlocking all achievements, so it's unlikely I'll do any additional stuff for fun.

I saw hardly any parts of any of the LotR or Hobbit movies, so I'm not that concerned about story accuracy in these Lego games (after all, I ranked the second Indiana Jones game higher than the first, despite the story content being far less accurate). My main concern is pretty much about how quick and easy it is to complete these games (which is why I still consider the Harry Potter Lego games to be the worst of them all).

As for Lego Dimensions, the tragic irony for me is that while that is the one Lego game I'd really love to play, it is also the only Lego game I'll probably never get a chance to ever play, because I do all of my gaming on a PC, through Steam. Instead, I had settled on simply watching YouTube videos of other people playing this game. No spoilers, but I can at least assure you that all of the main story levels can be completed with only the three characters and one vehicle provided by the starter pack (though you'll have to purchase other packs if you want to collect all the bonus items along the way, as well as unlock additional hub worlds to explore).

- Berix

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

I briefly used that disco phial only once, immediately after hitting a few enemies with a skeleton sword, because those were the requirements for unlocking one of the achievements. (I probably should have mentioned that in addition to 100% completion, I also unlocked all 48 achievements.) Because I have so many Lego games that I want to go through, I'm only interested in 100% completion and unlocking all achievements, so it's unlikely I'll do any additional stuff for fun.

Ah fair enough! Still, going for all achievements can be quite a pain in the ass. Props to you for taking care of that! I think the only one I 100%-ed was LotR.

I saw hardly any parts of any of the LotR or Hobbit movies, so I'm not that concerned about story accuracy in these Lego games (after all, I ranked the second Indiana Jones game higher than the first, despite the story content being far less accurate). My main concern is pretty much about how quick and easy it is to complete these games (which is why I still consider the Harry Potter Lego games to be the worst of them all).

Fair point - I hope it doesn't feel unfinished to you then not having seen the movies. To me, as both a Tolkien and Harry Potter fan, these games actually rank pretty high for their recognizable story. The first Harry Potter game is clunky and buggy, I'll give you that, but I do enjoy both of them quite a bit, especially in multiplayer.

As for Lego Dimensions, the tragic irony for me is that while that is the one Lego game I'd really love to play, it is also the only Lego game I'll probably never get a chance to ever play, because I do all of my gaming on a PC, through Steam. Instead, I had settled on simply watching YouTube videos of other people playing this game. No spoilers, but I can at least assure you that all of the main story levels can be completed with only the three characters and one vehicle provided by the starter pack (though you'll have to purchase other packs if you want to collect all the bonus items along the way, as well as unlock additional hub worlds to explore).
Ah bummer! I was in the exact same situation for a long time. Now that I finally have some systems I could play this on, it is pretty much impossible here to find the game. Got it secondhand off someone and luckily the whole package was complete. It is good to know I can play through all the main story levels without additional content packs, thanks!

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Man it's nice to see this thread still going =)

I'm actually hitting up Pokemon White version. I think I may have misjudged it coming off my Soulsilver high.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I haven't been playing a whole lot lately.

Played a lot of Smash when it first came out but I've relaxed on that now. Did a second playthrough of Celeste to prepare for the new DLC level that's supposed to come out soon. Just recently picked Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate back up a bit to play every now and then.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been pretty much binge playing Red Dead Redemption 2 lately.  Game's an absolute masterpiece and it surpasses the first game in almost every way.  That's saying something because I absolutely loved the first game. 

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finished LEGO The Hobbit earlier this week. As expected, this game had a lot of features similar to Lego Lord of the Rings, such as collecting items that any character can use, collecting mythril bricks to forge into special items, and collecting designs to be able to forge those items, but from that previous game structure, this game expands on it quite significantly. Breaking objects gives you not only studs, but also various materials called "loot" (like wood, stone, metals, gems, or food) that you have to spend on crafting tables (which work like the instruction builds of the Lego Movie Videogame) and in addition to the mythril bricks to forge the special items (but unlike the previous game where you just had to spend the mythril bricks, here the forging process is its own minigame, with a goal of timing the button prompts just right to get a "perfectly forged" item). When it comes to exploring the hub world, the previous game just had everything always available so long as you have unlocked the necessary abilities, but this game has mostly quests, which not only are unlocked as the story progresses (not an issue for me, as I typically wait until after completing the levels in both story mode and freeplay mode before exploring the hub world) but also often come in numerous series, so that completing one quest unlocks the next one (a little more troublesome for me, as it prevented me from immediately obtaining some of the red bricks that I find useful, such as stud multipliers, and also forced me to go back and forth across all of Middle Earth a few times rather than just slowly progress from one side to the other). Some of these quests even required you to used the custom character creator, a feature that has always been part of every single Lego game, but never really required for game completion, so this was my first real experience with it (the only previous game to require the use of a customizer was Lego Indiana Jones 2 with its level builder). Although I will acknowledge that the story content is incomplete due to covering the events of just the first two movies, I found the loot system and the challenge of completing series of quests such an interestingly unique experience that I would consider this a good Lego game, but again since its for a franchise that I still have little interest in (let's just say this game made it much easier to tell apart each of the 13 dwarves than the movies ever could), I'll rank this one only just above Lego Lord of the Rings. Oh, and I should probably mention that in addition to reaching 100% completion with this game, I also unlocked all 39 achievements (as listed on Steam).

Next on my list of Lego games to play; LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Much like with the previous Lego game I just finished, I'm aware of the story content of this game (totally unique and not based on any movies), but not with the freeplay content or much of what there is to see in the massive hub world (which apparently covers much of New York City), but now that I'm finally done with one of my least favorite franchises, I'm definitely looking forward to see all of what this game has to offer. (It is also now the only Lego game prior to the Lego Movie Videogame I have not yet played, so I'll be glad to finally close that gap.)

My rankings of all Lego games I've played so far:
The LEGO Movie Videogame
LEGO The Hobbit
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:06:44 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Just CS:GO for now. I'm just waiting for Halo to come to PC  :lol:

Anyone know any good games? Don't really matter if they are old or new.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:29:14 PM by Anagnos »