The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meeting of Patrick, Gustav, and me

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Over the New years days (December 29th to January 2nd to be precise) I was given quite a piece of  Great Valley by Patrick who invited me to visit him and celebrate Christmas along with him and Gustav, who arrived on December 31st. We really had an awesome time and I’m really grateful for this piece of Great Valley. Luckily I could borrow my Dad’s car (I don’t have one myself) to take the trip to Patrick’s place, not far from Frankfurt and about 250 kilometers from where I live. At first the plan was that I was to return home early on January 1st as the car was needed at home at 5pm. However my Dad called me on December 31st telling me that there had been a change of situation allowing me to stay a bit longer.
On the 30th Patrick and I set out to Frankfurt where we visited the Senckenberg Museum. I had no idea just how many fossils they had. It was really an awesome visit and I took many pictures some of which I would like to share with you.
In front of the Museum we were greeted by this T-Rex...

...and this Diplodocus (that's Patrick beside the leg):

And one with both of us in beside it:

Inside they had this cute money box for donations to the Museum:

But apart from all this figures they had many real fossils of course. For example they had an Ancylosaurus which I didn't see at any of the dinosaur museums I have visited so far:

Here is Pat with a Quetzalcoatlus; "Skybax" for Dinotopia fans ;)

There are more images, but I think it doesn't work to put too many links in one post, so I will start another.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This leg is just a model (the only leg of a Supersaurus ever found resides in Arizona I think while they never found a whole skeleton). Seeing Pat beside the leg and having Sue's "What's the point of having big feet" quote in mind I'm quite relieved that Pat is about as far as one can be from being a "bad guy" ;)

I realize with all those dinosaurs the pictures are getting kind of repetitive, but still I think you might like to look at them. Here are Pat and I with a Stegosaurus:

Pat with a Parasaurolophus:

And both of us with a Triceratops:

To interrupt this herding of dinosaurs, are you reading this thread Ptyra? For there were not just Dinosaurs in the museum and when taking this picture Pat and I were sure that you would be fascinated by this snake:

But there are still some more dinos to come, so here we go with one that is not quite a Dino though still present in LBT:

Apart from the model outside they also had the bones of a real Diplodocus shown here with Pat:

They had an Oviraptor too. I must admit seeing it and thinking of Ruby there was a short melancholic moment for me (certainly not lasting in so great a time). If LBT was scientifically accurate (fortunately it is not ;)) Ruby would be by far the smallest of the group while Petrie (they did have a Pteranodon there as well) would be considerably larger:

More pictures to come in the next post.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks and sounds like you folks had a great fun time.  Also there is a Quetzalcoatlus that makes a cameo appearance in the 7th lbt movie towards the end.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Agreed, it look like you had a great time the three of you.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No matter how interesting and fascinating all these dinosaurs were, they were no match for the endearing specimen of homo sapiens who arrived from the north on December 31st ;)
This picture of Gustav and me is kind of staged as it shows us playing an LBT game which I got for Christmas. We three did in fact play that game (it is titled "Escape from Redclaw" and I might write a review of it if ever I find the time and leisure) but during the actual playing we forgot to take any pictures, so this one was staged later:

Escape from Redclaw was not the only game we played though. For the first time in my live I played poker. In spite of a cousin who is kind of a professional player always trying to bug me into playing a round with him I never ever did. Of course we did not play for money here... which was kind of bad for me :p
I had absolutely no clue of the game, but I won against Patrick, Gustav, and Marie, a friend of Patrick who is also on this picture (and who same as me didn't play poker before). The funniest thing was that the next evening we played again in a group of six and again I won against all even though it was sometimes their "job" to tell me why the cards I had were better than anyone else's cards. I couldn't stop laughing about this. Everyone was apparently thinking that I was bluffing or something when I was actually honesty itself :angel which seems to be somewhat uncommon in this game. Truth to be told I had little choice but being honest while having hardly a clue of what was happening. I hope that under the given circumstances my patronizing and arrogant look in the following picture will not be held against me :smile

In a later contest of arm wrestling I was no match for sportsman Gustav though and Patrick too beat me in one out of two contests (though in my defense I must say that that was the fourth for me while he was still "fresh"... Or maybe I am getting old and weak:unsure:):

Are you reading this Rat_Lady? Here's a picture for you, for you might like Pat's pet more than Gustav did (as demonstrated on this picture). Pat has a large toy Rat which we dubbed "Pat's Pat Rat" :p

And here is a final picture taken when I was about to depart:

I really want to thank you Patrick and your parents for the great time I had at your place. You are just awesome hosts! :yes
Thank you to you too Gustav for the great fun we all had together :)
When I left none of us had any doubts that we three will meet again in the not too distant future and I'm really looking forward to this already. I had so great a time with you guys that I shall "feed" on it for quite a while through the days of increased university work I'm in for this spring. Thank you for this piece of Great Valley :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice that you life close enough together to be able to meet occasionally and have lots of fun together.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't know why I'm asking this, but Malte, you seem to have more hair in these pictures than pictures I've seen of you from years ago. :lol: :lol:  Lettin' it go a bit long? :p

Its wonderful to be near many friends that can share memories with you.  Looks like you had a wonderful time over a couple of days.  Too bad you didn't get the ptero pic.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't know why I'm asking this, but Malte, you seem to have more hair in these pictures than pictures I've seen of you from years ago
Hair does grow a bit within a timespan of years :p
They are a bit longer right now than they are most of the time. Does keep your head warm in the extraordinarily chilly days we have over here at the moment ;)
Is it that bad? :unsure:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hair does grow a bit within a timespan of years

Alright smartass... :p  Nah, its not a problem.  Just never saw you with long(er) hair.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Looks like y'all had fun.  It must be nice to live close enough to have the opportunity to visit each other frequently :yes.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Wow.  I hate to be repetitive, but it really does look like it was a lot of fun.  I'm happy for those who have other LBT fans so close by...and a little envious too. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
For the first time in my live I played poker. In spite of a cousin who is kind of a professional player always trying to bug me into playing a round with him I never ever did. Of course we did not play for money here... which was kind of bad for me :p
I had absolutely no clue of the game, but I won against Patrick, Gustav, and Marie, a friend of Patrick who is also on this picture (and who same as me didn't play poker before). The funniest thing was that the next evening we played again in a group of six and again I won against all even though it was sometimes their "job" to tell me why the cards I had were better than anyone else's cards. I couldn't stop laughing about this. Everyone was apparently thinking that I was bluffing or something when I was actually honesty itself :angel which seems to be somewhat uncommon in this game. Truth to be told I had little choice but being honest while having hardly a clue of what was happening. I hope that under the given circumstances my patronizing and arrogant look in the following picture will not be held against me :smile
^:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Bwahahahaha!!!! Someone's rich xD

Are you reading this Rat_Lady? Here's a picture for you, for you might like Pat's pet more than Gustav did (as demonstrated on this picture). Pat has a large toy Rat which we dubbed "Pat's Pat Rat" :p
:lol
Sorry, I prefer the living, breathing thing over the fake copy.  

Wish I replied to this sooner, then it wouldn't seem as if my reply was out of the blue.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's ok, I"m sure they don't mind.  And it does sound like they had a fun wild time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, I prefer the living, breathing thing over the fake copy.
I know. In fact I'm quite sure you would not have liked that toy rat as it follows the "tradition" of presenting them as creepy (same way spiders tend to be presented) with red eyes and vicious looking teeth (for all I know rats are usually less aggressive and more social than the popular hamsters). It still is more like a cute plush for Pat.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I doubt all species of rats are dangerous or scientists would not use them as much as they do, they would not have certain types being allowed as pets, ect.