The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your Most or Least Liked Disney Films by Decade

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
EDIT: Favorite or least liked/hated Animated Disney Films

This is the whole list (minus anthologies, films with extensive live-action, and Pixar) so that you don't have to dig around your VHS/DVD collections, and this is in chronological order:

ïSnow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) (Huh, I guess Snow White wins the 30s by default)
ïPinocchio (1940)
ïFantasia (1940)
ïDumbo (1941)
ïBambi (1942)
ïCinderella (1950)
ïAlice In Wonderland (1951)
ïPeter Pan (1953)
ïLady And The Tramp (1955)
ïSleeping Beauty (1959)
ï101 Dalmatians (1961)
ïThe Sword In The Stone (1963)
ïThe Jungle Book (1967; final film made while Walt was alive)
ïThe Aristocats (1970; final film Walt personally greenlit)
ïRobin Hood (1973)
ïThe Rescuers (1977)
ïThe Fox And The Hound (1981)
ïThe Black Cauldron (1985)
ïThe Great Mouse Detective (1986)
ïOliver And Company (1988)
ïThe Little Mermaid (1989)
ïThe Rescuers Down Under (1990)
ïBeauty And The Beast (1991)
ïAladdin (1992)
ïThe Lion King (1994)
ïPocahontas (1995)
ïThe Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1996)
ïHercules (1997)
ïMulan (1998)
ïTarzan (1999)
ïFantasia 2000* (1999)
ïDinosaur (2000)
ïThe Emperor's New Groove (2000)
ïAtlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
ïLilo And Stitch (2002)
ïTreasure Planet (2002)
ïBrother Bear (2003)
ïHome On The Range (2004) (Last 2D film until 2009)
ïChicken Little (2005)
ïMeet The Robinsons (2007)
ïBolt (2008)
ïThe Princess And The Frog (2009)
ïTangled (2010)

My Picks:

The 1940s:
Favorite: Bambi
Least: Fantasia (still good, though)

The 1950s:
Favorite: :Lady the Tramp
Least: Alice in Wonderland

The 1960s:
Favorite: The Jungle Book (Baloo was one of my favorites growing up)
Least: I don't think I have one for this decade.

The 1970s:
Favorite: The Rescuers
Least: I don't think I have one for this decade, either.

The 1980s:
Favrotie: The Great Mouse Detective (forget Oliver and Ariel; this one has Vincent Price!)
Least: The Fox and the Hound (what was the bloody point?!)

The 1990s:
Favorite: Tied between Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Mulan
Least: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Tarzan

The 2000s:
Favorite: Tangled. Honorable Mentions: Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt.
Least: Brother Bear and Home on the Range.  :x
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Technically Tangles should be 2010s.
 my Favorites
 1930s Snow white_by Default
1940s-Bambi although Dumbo and Pinocchio are close
 1950s-Sleeping beauty
!960s Aristocats- jungle Book imo is overrated
1970s the Rescuers - robin Hood was pretty weak
 1980s great Mouse detective- Black Caludron never really made sense
 1990s The Lion King, weakest would probably be Pocahantas
2000s Atlantis, since I haven't really seen any of the recent Disney Films
 2010s Tangled by default
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'll like this idea. :) Though it saddens me when I see people not liking Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Tarzan, and Fox and the Hound. :( Sure, I know everyone has different opinions about the films, but I didn't think they were bad compared to some other films Disney was trying to sell us. :x

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's mine:

*1930s
Favorite: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (Again, by default)

*1940's
Favorite: Bambi.  Depressing as the film may be, it seems to have paved the way for future films containing animals and humans in them, and probably some inspiration for LBT.
Least Favorite: Pinocchio.  I think I find this one to be more depressing than Bambi.  I think it's due to the way Pinocchio seems to dsregard his family and what he knows is right for the path of least resistance, delinquency, and false hope of fame and fortune.  Considering I've personally known individuals that are like that, maybe this is why the film gets depressing for me.  At least he makes it right in the end, though.

*1950s
Favorite: Tie between Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp.  Cinderella 'cuz she doesn't have your stereotypical royal family background princesses normally come with.  She was working class status and the prince saw her for who she was instead of what her social status was or who her father was, which is unusual in fairy tales.  Lady and the Tramp for one reason and one reason only: Lady is a Cocker Spaniel!  My favorite canine breed of all time :smile.
Least Favorite: Sleeping Beauty.  I dunno why, but I felt like Princess Aurora's personality in the film seemed a bit dull, and the film just never clicked with me.

*1960s
Favorite: 101 Dalmatians.  Why?  Puppies!  And lots of 'em :DD.  Also, Cruella DeVil makes one helluva bada** FEMALE villian, something that is rarely seen in films.
Least Favorite: The Sword in the Stone.  Only reason is 'cuz I didn't feel the film click with me.

*1970s
Favorite:  Actually, I like all three of the films that were made in the 1970s. Yes, I find Robin Hood to be hilarious and entertaining.  Love Lady Cluck and her crazy antics :lol.

*1980s
Favorite: The Fox And The Hound.  Regardless of what others say, The Little Mermaid did not impact me like Fox and the Hound did.  This film is what ultimately got me started as a writer by coming up with fables like it.  Even though I've long since moved on from fables, I still credit this film as my inspiraion for writing :yes.  Also, few films have been made that make me cry every time I watch 'em, and this gets me bawling every time.  If it weren't for Boomer and Binky, this film would be too depressing to watch.
Least Favorite:  The Black Cauldron.  Again, ths one never really clicked with me.

*1990s
Favorite: Beauty and the Beast for the win :DD!  Although I love all the other films except for the one mentioned in the least favorite category.  Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are also on my list ;).
Least Favorite: Hercules.  I know enough of him in Greek Mythology to see how Disney-fied his story to make it "safe" for kids.  I just felt it was more inaccurate than what we normally see in films.  Same with "The Prince of Egypt".  That one was also tamed too much IMO.

*2000s
Favorite: I'd have to say Brother Bear.  It was the last decent Disney film until 2010 IMO.
Least Favorite: Anyone can guess this one: Dinosaur <_<.  Sure, it has dinosaurs in it, but this was way too much of a LBT rip-off that I'm surprised they didn't get slapped with copyright violatons.  Perhaps it was payback for LBT beating Oliver and Company?  Who knows, but so much of it looked like scenes out of the entire series that had been released by then.  Seems more than just coincidence :confused.

*2010s
Favorite: Toy Story 3.  What an excellent conclusion to the trilogy :yes.
Least Favorite: Haven't watched any other 2010 Disney films :p.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Feb 19 2011 on  01:29 AM
Least Favorite: Anyone can guess this one: Dinosaur <_<.  Sure, it has dinosaurs in it, but this was way too much of a LBT rip-off that I'm surprised they didn't get slapped with copyright violatons.  Perhaps it was payback for LBT beating Oliver and Company?  Who knows, but so much of it looked like scenes out of the entire series that had been released by then.  Seems more than just coincidence :confused.
I'm not sure if it's really a rip-off. I remember seeing much of it, and it doesn't remind me all that much of LBT.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Tangled is part of the 2000s grouping, actually. We didn't start with the Year O. We started with Year 1, then tens years later, the Year 11 was the new decade. So 2011 is actually the start of the new decade, not 2010. But that's a discussion for elsewhere if you want to get in-depth with it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Lessee here....

1930s - You really can't dislike the one that started it all.  Without this film, would animation be what you know it today?  :exactly

1940s

Like - Bambi (first VHS tape in the house - it was not LBT)
Dislike - Pinocchio (I think its because I never liked it much when I was younger, I still am not interested in it)

1950s

Like - Sleeping Beauty (Mary Costa makes it worth it)
Dislike - Alice in Wonderland (a caterpillar on shrooms is a bit creepy for Disney)

1960s

Like - Jungle Book (jazz baby!)
Dislike - Sword in the Stone (never a big hit with me at any age)

1970s

I don't really like any of these.  No real spark.

1980s

Again, no likes here.  Yeah Little Mermaid is big, but how many guys drool over that film? (Ok forgot the darn seashells for a moment.  :angel )

1990s

Like - Pocahontas (despite historical inaccuracy)
Dislike - Fantasia 2000 (nearly fell asleep watching it, the Firebird woke me me up though! :p )

2000s

Like - Lilo and Stitch (edgy and funny)
Dislike - everything else (not a good decade)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Might as wel..
1930: By default is Snow White and Seven dwarves...
1940: Favourite-Bambi
         Least-Pinocchio
1950: Favourite-Lady and the Tramp
         Least- Toss up between Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty
1960: Favourite- The Jungle Book
         Least-101 Dalmations
1970: Favourite-Toss up between all three of them, I don't really have a  Least favourite.  Robin Hood for me was pretty amusing; Peter Ustinov as Prince John was amusing.
1980: Favourite-The Great Mouse Detective
         Least- The Little Mermaid
1990: Favourite- Toss up between the Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast.
        Least-Tarzan
2000's: Favourite-Brother Bear and Atlantis (it's sad that neither were as marketed as properly).
            Least-Home on the Range; it's actually the only film that we had taken my maternal grandfather to see.  He fell asleep in the cinema!

But hey, in comparision to what disney is also trying to sell us..like high school mucus-ical (ugh) and hannah montanna the movie...these animated films, even if they are on our 'least' favourite were still classics compared to so-called 'quality' films.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
Favorites:
1930s: "Snow White" (but what else CAN you pick here? lol)
1940s: "Bambi"
1950s: "Lady and the Tramp"
1960s: "The Jungle Book" and "101 Dalmatians"
1970s: "The Aristocats"
1980s: "Oliver & Company" & "The Fox and the Hound"
(I love these two equally, however "Oliver & Company", the very first movie I ever saw in theaters, has a special place with me personally)
1990s: "The Lion King", "Aladdin", "Pocahontas" & "Tarzan"
(this was MY childhood and it was a good one for animation..."The Lion King" was by FAR the best...and still is, imo! and as for "Aladdin", I actually liked the sequel "Return of Jafar" even more since it centered on Iago the parrot...ha!!)
2000s: "Brother Bear" & "Bolt"
If it's not obvious, I love the animal movies...and also the "movies with a message". Although I MUCH prefer traditional hand drawn animation to computer animation, I did enjoy "Bolt". I'm just a sucker for a dog movie. :p

Least:
1930s: Well, there's only "Snow White"! All I can say is I don't really love OR dislike this one...it's the one that started it all, so you can't hate on it. I'm not a huge fan of stereotypical "weak princess type girls" though...LOL
1940s: I don't dislike any of the 1940's movies...
1950s: Cinderella...I'm not really a fan of the princess stuff...:p
1960s: "The Sword in the Stone"...naw, some of this movie was fun...I didn't like the random "evil wolf" that stalked them around though. :\
1970s: No "dislikes" really...
1980s: "The Black Cauldron" was pretty weird...cute pig, though. Ironically, this came out the year I was born. Figures. XD
1990s: "Hercules"...I just never liked the style of this one much.
2000s: "Atlantis", "Dinosaur" (I agree with those who said there were LBT scenes in this movie...they also seemed to copy from themselves too...was it just me or were some scenes very "Tarzan" and even "TLK"? Not a very original story concept, to say the least)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm starting to notice a few common choices:

The 40s: Bambi is pretty much favorited by everybody. I was actually expecting this, because... It's Bambi.
Least: Pinocchio got the most for this.

The 50s: Sleeping Beauty and Lady and the Tramp
Least: Alice in Wonderland, and oddly, Sleeping Beauty got this a few times. I guess the latter might a bit more polarized than I imagined.

The 60s: The Jungle Book seems to be the pick here.
Least: The Sword in the Sword, no surprise. I personally love the film, but I can see why others might not or like it less.

The 70s: The Rescuers took the most votes along with a few "all of them".
Least: A vote for Robin Hood and a vote for all of them. Seems like the 70s wasn't a polarizing decade.

The 80s: The Great Mouse Detective with The Fox and the Hound close behind.
Least: The Black Cauldron wins by a country mile.

The 90s: The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast are the winners here. That was expected.
Leaset: Hercules wins this category overall, but the votes seemed to sprawl all over the board this time.

The New Millennium: Brother Bear, of all things.
Least: Home on the Range and Dinosaur, but the votes were also all over the board with this one.

Well, it's been interesting to see where we agree and disagree on what makes a great Disney film. The varied results for the most liked and disliked for the last two decades came as no surprise with the quality of and style of the Disney animated films in that fall all over the map.