The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The GOF Owner Blog - Part 2

Petrie. · 11 · 2071

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I saw the idea for member awards or something of the nature back in 2005 where a board community would vote for members of the community for awards such as a "friendly member" or have the "best fanart" or things like that.  The GOF didn't do things like this at the time, and we didn't do a lot of exciting community activities either (no projects section).  This would be one way in which the community would work together to create something that could bond and include all users.

There isn't much to say on the process....I hardly remember how it all worked being quite a few years ago, but I was so excited to do this that I made people vote for awards in April instead of December, yet they would have that year on the award.  Doesn't make much sense, I know, but the idea was concocted in March and by April we were running with it.  The only award that was ever debated back and forth time and time was the "New Member Award" given to someone who had recently joined and been productive and proactive on the GOF, but may still have a low post count.  I never fully agreed with the award while others did.  We finally dumped this award in 2008.  I would almost say this award was a jinx to the member who received it--both winners dropped off the face of the earth (though Littlefoot Fan is showing activity around here again as of late).

During this event, its been difficult for members to defend, or win the same award the following year because since 2006, the GOF has grown expondentially and we're much larger now than we were then.  I enjoy seeing new members win and earn recognition for their achievements as well as past winners continuing to provide for the GOF community as we continue to grow larger.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but I think it would be for the best/better if the GOF Fan Awards were held every November from now on? Because I have a real problem with it being held too early each year.

I mean I just find it to be really unorginized every time it's been held, in fact it seem's to be like this for the last couple of years now! If I may say, have you thought about maybe having a voting pole each November of that year, of those that would like to be (no more then four people each year, at the most) the one's in charge of it, for that year. And no more of this at random stuff.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Nothing is random or has ever been random since we started these...only the admins run the show.  We try to each take pieces so that one person doesn't have to do all of the work.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why can't they be held at the same time of year as this one was more or less? I have no problem if they were held in December, January, August, or any other month.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I prefer the awards to be given out early in the year. I would find it strange for the GOF awards to suddenly start to be handed out in November.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It seems to be working with them being in April to June, why not continue like it has been so far.  Just assume it's for the previous year or from the previous year to this year, like last may to this may.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I wouldn't mind either doing the awards a tiny bit earlier or a bit later (say the middle of June or beginning of April).  It's pretty hard for me with school to think back on the year and the awards were held at a pretty bad time for me this year.  I still got it but it wasn't a bowl of apples.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
There is one award that seem's to be over looked ever year and that is the best story/fanfiction awards? And since I'm the one who thought of it. I sould be in charge of that one award. Which I want to hold the best story/fanfiction award every Dec! If it's okay with the admin.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The best story award would be seperate from the roleplaying, right?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We have frequently explained why a fanfiction award is considered impracticable. Nobody could make a fair judgment because nobody reads all the fanfiction out there. Without such a comparison the vote would be very arbitrary though. Furthermore there are some views so controversial about fanfictions that decisions about this are really almost impossible to make.