The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I'm havin' fun, can't you tell? :p

Petrie. · 23 · 4473

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm trying to get some autumn color on the board to showcase the season.  I won't be around to decorate for thanksgiving.  I suspect my staff will do something in my absence, but I'm trying to get some basic things up.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Looks ok to me on my laptop and the leaves are only on the top of the page and not obtrusive or all over the place.  That would be overdoing it. :p

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
I like it. It's very relaxing and refreshing to see nice Autumn leaves at the top of the page (especially since down here in Oz we're getting into the Summer months...  :x )

But yeah, it's great to look at, and I'm not experiencing any problems with it. :yes

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
The good 'ol GoF. With a touch of autumn magic... Me like!  :yes
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Looks very nice! :)

Now, here's an idea I think the staff would like to come up with for Thanksgiving.

Okay, you just take the banner and put in place of it a picture that shows The Gang and Chomper around a traditional Thanksgiving spread, and Chomper is about to eat the whole turkey in one bite.

How's that sound? ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I like the autumn feeling, it's nice.

Thankgiving huh? Okay.. Dunno :p

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
People with a monitor resolution width of under 1280 pixels might have problems. (resize your browser window, and you'll see what I mean :p)

But, since most people here have big enough monitors, I don't think we need to worry about that. :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I think I'm the one that browses with the lowest resolution/smallest size. :p  Generally if it works for me, it works better for everyone else. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow no, he was right. I got 1024x768px and the leaves around the gof banner look seriously messed up, they're just a tiny bit too big o.o. Maybe you could scale them down to about 90%?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Shrunk the top leaves from 200x200 to 150x150.  That should compensate for that issue.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Still isn't perfect, but I'll just block the lower image... :) I'm probably the only one with a small screen/resolution these days so it's alright.

In case you want to know what it looks like right now:

But don't make them any smaller! They look really nice on a big screen :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You really browse at 1024x768?  Thought I had the smallest resolution here.  I could make them smaller still.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes I do, it's usually not a problem and I can live with it.

Don't worry about it, I just blocked the lower/right one and it looks fine now :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It looks just the same on my end as it does for Iris and my resolution is 1280 x 800 pixels.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
To be honest, if I were designing a website I wouldn't make a header that large because of people with 1,024x768 resolutions.  When you design, you MUST design with 1,024x768 in mind.  Of course, I don't care.  I never look at GOF on any less than a 22" monitor.  Looks great from there.

The only suggestion I could make would be to replace the top boarder around the portal and search section with a separate div and shrink those leaves down to make sort of a leaf border.  BTW, here's a screenshot of what GOF looks like on a 1,024x768 resolution:

I should point out that this is the ENTIRE screen.  It might be acceptable if you reduced the size of the bottom leaves by about 30px horizontally and if you got rid of those.......things on the side of the banner.  Also, the abrupt end of the leaves is very apparent.  I suggest fading them out like with the banner.  You can do so quite easily by using Photoshop or Gimp (free Photoshop alternative).  

Sorry but I've become MUCH more of a web design critic in recent years.  I'm even finding faults with the things on GOF which I have made including the reply buttons, banner, and background.  GOF already has an enormous header.  Adding more to it just doesn't comply with web design standards.  What else can we do?  I'm not exactly sure.  Perhaps a background/buttons change would be better.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I already had a screenshot of my resolution up there austin ^^

Anyway, I can live with it like this.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Autumn leaves? Nice.  I like the change.  Will there be a seasonal change or just now and then?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I already had a screenshot of my resolution up there austin ^^

Oops. :oops I've been having trouble with my wireless internet lately (it's really slow) and I guess the image didn't come up or I would've seen it.  I don't read every word all the time when responding to topics.  I just skim sometimes to make sure I don't say exactly what the person above me said. :p

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
What a nice surprise to see the GoF all dressed up in autumn finery. Talk about a spirit lifter!  :smile