The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 173214

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
I think a sticky topic on one of the most interesting and most regularly recuring topics about the original movie is overdue. I'm talking of the outcut scenes from the movie which were discussed not too long ago, but not for the first time. I hope that we can gather as much information and pictures as possible in this thread. As scenes were cut not only from the original movie, but are also regularly cut from the the sequels we could add material on these outcut scenes too (even though this thread is in the original movie's section). Unfortunately material on the deleted scenes from the sequels is even more sparcely settled as material on the deleted scenes from the original movie is. I meant for this to be a thread full of pictures but for reasons beyond my limited abilities with the computer the GOF will not show a single one of them, so I had to make to with the urls leading to the pictures :(
Anyway, here are the pictures of which I know so far:

This one is either the most trivial or the most "mysterious" one among the pictures. It may not show a deleted scene at all. There is this funny "line" along the center of the picture, light and shadow are incorrect, there is no description whatsoever of any scene including what we see on this picture. When I asked a member of Don Bluth's staff on his webpage about this picture he stated that he didn't know anything about it and that he assumed it to be a tribute made by a fan. So with all this there is basically nothing supporting the idea of this picture actually belonging to an outcut land before time scene, except for the place where I found it. When I first came across that picture it was on a large page where hundreds of land before time film cells and signed drawings were sold. I am quite sure that somewhere far back among the old threads of the N54 forum must be a message in which I posted the url of the page where I found the picture, alas it would be of no use anymore as the page didn't exist anymore when I checked it out last time (years ago). All this may sound very unconvincing, but the page looked quite serious and LBT was not the only movie of which film cells were offered there. This was the only picture there which struck me as unknown from the movie. While practically everything is suggesting that the picture is not from an outcut LBT scene the fact remains that, if it wasn't, this would be a very serious fraud as the picture was offered for more than $100 on the page :unsure:

This is a picture of which we can be sure that it is genuine. It was used in cinema showcases in 1988 and the very original I scanned is from the showcase of a German cinema. It makes me wonder if the scene might have been included in the version of the movie as it was presented in cinemas or if they deliberately used material from outcut scenes (they definitely did in some other cases, so I'm afraid the scene was not included in the cinema version). We can only guess about the content, but I suppose it is a fairly save guess if we assume that Ducky is trying to make Spike come along by luring him with those berries. We see her doing just that in the movie scene which would have followed this one (right after Spike's hatching) if it hadn't been cut out. One book suggests that there was opposition from Cera against taking Spike along. Whether or not this was part of the outcut scene we don't know.

We have previously seen the LBT trailer which includes an outcut scene of Ducky hugging Littlefoot and Spike after they harvested the food from the top of the tree by climbing onto each other. This picture suggests that there was an even more elaborate scene cut from this part of the movie. The picture is definitely genuine, as it was included in a file issued to the press back in 1988. I apologize for the poor quality. Our scanner is not working at the moment (I had scanned other pictures in this thread earlier) so I could just take a photograph of the image which didn't turn out too well due to the reflecting surface of the image. The press file also included a colored version of this scene, but only as a slide picture which I cannot scan properly :(
As for the content of this scene we can only guess with less obvious possibilities than in case of the previous picture.

The four pictures above are all from the same scene. The first and the second are from the same press file as the previous picture, the third is a colored version of the second which was offered at ebay (signed by Gabriel Damon, the original movie's Littlefoot voice), and the fourth picture is from the book "Friend's in Need". We can be quite certain about the content of this scene. These are all pictures from Littlefoot's early discovery of the Great Valley right after the quarrel with Cera, which was later postponed until after the fight with the Sharptooth.
Speaking of fighting sharptooth brings us to the next two pictures which many of you will already know as this scene was included in an LBT trailer:

Apparently there was a scene of Ducky pulling faces at Sharptooth to provoke it into pursuing her. The terror in Ducky's face on the second picture suggests that it worked, but better than Ducky had hoped it would. I wonder why they cut out this scene. Presumably it was considered "too scary for kids".
Sharptooth's death
Sharptooth's death
The most recent "discovery" shows Sharptooth dead (or dying) body sinking below the surface of the pond. I know that there is such a scene in the movie, but this picture is not part of it; I checked it out. The scene was probably another one shortened not to scare the kids too much <_<

Edit by Mumbling: fixed broken pictures
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:07:03 AM by Mumbling »

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
(Good move with the URL's....some are much too large to display on screen)

This is a really old topic from my first LBT website days when I was trying to work out the deleted scenes.  I think the "Ducky Scared" picture was drawn by Bluth for something else....not for the film specifically.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it is a copy of an unfinished film cell signed by Bluth (who need not be the creator of that drawing). It is definitely not independent from the movie scene. The posture is exactly the same as in the trailer.
I still think it would be better if at least the smaller pictures (excluding the one of sharptooth's death) could be displayed. Funnily I always get the response that dynamic webpages cannot be put into image Tags. It worked out just fine in other threads.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
But there something about that bit with Ducky, it was on a preview, a old one in the UK. I got a video somewhere that shows about the first Land Before Time and show that short sence of Ducky pulling the face and being scared screaming as she swims for her life following the trying attack of Old Sharptooth. I think I recall this being spoken about before.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, that scene with Ducky pulling faces is indeed in a trailer shown not only in the UK. There must have been more though than what we saw in the trailer. The scene must have included Ducky's getting at a supposedly save distance from the sharptooth after he spotted her. In the movie as we know it Ducky never gets enough leisure time and distance from sharptooth to even think about cutting faces.
There is another picture from an outcut scene which I cannot show you, as it is only a slide. It is however a very unspectacular picture showing nothing but a very cloudy sky. My guess is that after the death of Littlefoot's mother the camera moved up to show just the thunderstorm sky (this is only a guess of mine, but the sky on that slide looks very much like the sky in the death of Littlefoot's mother scene), and that this camera shift upwards was cut for whatever reason.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
The reason your getting a dynamic page error is because you have spaces in your web address so %20 is automatically inserted to compensate for that.  Take out the spaces, the images will work.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Done that. Thanks a lot Adam! This is much better now. I left the Sharptooth death picture as an url as it would be so large. Some of the other pictures are rather large too, but I hope that the advantage of seeing them right away outweighs the disadvantage of the side being "broadened". If that's not so I will turn those images back into urls again.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah I knew that sharptooth one was huge...the others are ok I guess.  Members can always right click on the image and "View Image" and it should resize it to fit in another browser window.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
HELP!!!

The image won't show ....I keep getting sent to the Tripod website in German (I think?) :cry

I even got rid of the %20 that repersents spaces......I really want to see the Sharptooth's death!!!!!  :cry

HELP!!!!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Malte will need to fix that.  You can't take out the space on your own and expect the image to show because the space is there in the filename, but that space is what's causing the problem.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My mistake. I had changed the name of a folder to avoid an empty space (which keeps making trouble if you try to directly link a picture). I forgot to updated the url of the Sharptooth image. It should work out now.
Thanks for the reminder to this thread by the way. I have yet to make good on this promise:
As scenes were cut not only from the original movie, but are also regularly cut from the the sequels we could add material on these outcut scenes too (even though this thread is in the original movie's section). Unfortunately material on the deleted scenes from the sequels is even more sparcely settled as material on the deleted scenes from the original movie is.
I'll do so as soon as I have the time to upload pictures. Don't expect anything spectacular though.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Malte, I've gone and took the pics that were too big for the screen and used Paint to shrink them.  I think it would be far more convienent if you used them instead of the pics you have now, as it does get annoying to scroll left and right just to read your first message.

Here are the pics:

Well, I've gotta go now.

See ya later! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi pokeplayer!
I took the liberty to edit your post so the pictures you resized appear in your post instead of the urls linking to the pictures. Thank you :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 20 2007 on  01:18 AM
whoa!  Those pics are tiny... :huh:
They don't look tiny to me.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 20 2007 on  01:08 AM
Hi pokeplayer!
I took the liberty to edit your post so the pictures you resized appear in your post instead of the urls linking to the pictures. Thank you :)
Yeah, I noticed.

So, would you please use those two rather than the ones you have up now?  I'm sure it'll automatically fix the text to an appropriate area and so that we don't have to continuously scroll left and right just to read your message.  It is kind of annoying to have to do that, you know. :)

Flathead

• Ruby
    • View Profile
As far as I know this isn't from the movie, as I found and scanned this pic off that "friends in need" book, its when the gang of five encountered a green oasis where two dinosaur species. The thin grey-noses who where guarding the water against the fat crown heads, who where guarding the food (trees, vegetation), and who didn't want to share with each other. So Cera and the others decided to move on to find their own food and water because the two dino species didn't want to share with them.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I cannot see it either :( , can you please re uploaded it Flathead? thanks.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This is the page in the book flathead must be referring too. But while the text describes the oasis scene which was left out in the movie, the picture does not show that oasis, but the little green spot which we know from the movie. I cannot guarantee whether or not this precise picture is in the movie. I assume it is, but it would have to be checked out:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:05:17 AM by Mumbling »