The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Universal Needs to Get its Act Together

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
20th Century Fox is re-releasing some of Don's films in new DVD editions.  The Secret of NIMH was given a nice treatment with commentary and restored picture (Gary made sure they did it correctly).  Even The Pebble and the Penguin is getting a bit of good treatment.

What exactly does it take to get Universal to do the same since they own everything American Tail and LBT related?  Make a phone call already!

Oh and another tidbit from donbluth.com

Posted: 03/29/2007
Email: elglyno@hotmail.com
Subject: The Land Before Time
Message: Dear DonBluth.com I am writing regarding the existence of "missing scenes" from the Land before Time, which have been alluded to by a number of online sources and were apparently cut from the film by Spielberg and Lucas. A lot of people out there are keen to know what was in those scenes (specifically), if there is ever a chance of them being put on a DVD re-release, or, failing that, screen grabs and storyboards. The only info out there is that they involved the Tyrannosaur villain and the main characters in "peril or distress" which is vague but tantalising. I have great memories of this film, and have only refused to buy it on DVD because I have a vague hope of a proper version with commentaries, deleted scenes, etc, surfacing in the future. Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Paul Glynn
Reply: Paul, Sorry but all of the cut scenes were actually not stored. It was an edit that took place about 4 months before we completed the film. I had asked the editor if he had saved the workprints, in color and the black & white pencil tests that were cut from the film. He had not. Obviously not thinking of a later director's cut. The cuts were mainly shots that both Steven and Georges felt would be too frightening for a younger audience. There were 19 scenes or shots removed in the T-Rex chase of the kids and there were other cuts made where they felt that the film lagged or slowed down and might lose the audience's interest. And I'm not sure any of that material was saved either. Therefore you can probably eliminate any chance of a director's cut. Further, we've never been asked to be involved with any commentary for The Land Before Time or An American Tail. Wish I had better news for you. Regards, Gary
Reply Posted: 03/29/2007

Wonder if the guy is referencing us as "online sources" because we certainly have topics pertaining to the deleted scenes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Possibly, but sure enough the deleted scenes are a topic in many places. Those materials which supposedly lagged or slowed down are of particular interest. Funny thing is, if they were cut out so early and apparently destroyed for good, why did some of these scenes make it into trailers, cinema showcases, and press files?