The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tasks / Adventures

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Jan 24 2009 on  03:01 AM
There also should be chain quests to give a bit more depth to the quests. For any of you that don't know, chain quests are a series of quests, one given after another, and usually relating to the previous quest. Taking one of Nonames quests for example.

I like the idea of chain quests.

I think a good limit for chains is 2-6 items.

Perhaps harder quests should earn greater rewards.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As long as it is not to complicated or to many things to do, or wont' take to long to do. Some of those could be different, but not to many or it could get annoying.
i agree completely, chain quests could be implemented for the more serious or harder quests, especially later on. We would still need the simpler quests, otherwise it will end up being like World of Warcraft, tedious and a chore to play.

I think a good limit for chains is 2-6 items
do you mean 2-6 quests per chain? cause that would be a decent number to have, definitely try not to have more then 6 as it could start to get a little tiring, though some higher level quests might go a bit higher (very rarely though).

Perhaps harder quests should earn greater rewards.
Nothing worse than doing that whole series of quests then to just get a pat on the back and a "thank you" :lol

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Jan 24 2009 on  06:03 PM
I think a good limit for chains is 2-6 items
do you mean 2-6 quests per chain? cause that would be a decent number to have, definitely try not to have more then 6 as it could start to get a little tiring, though some higher level quests might go a bit higher (very rarely though).

2 to 6 quests per chain.

I know combat is an extreme rarity but it does occur. What missions would require such combat?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I know combat is an extreme rarity but it does occur. What missions would require such combat?
None that would involve a big sharptooth (those would have to be tricked otherwise but it would be suicidal to take on one of them). So actual combat would probably come only in case of characters of similar size and strength. I suppose anything with a larger size / strength difference than GOF vs. bullies would not be possible.
We will do our best to come up with other tasks that are not so much focused on fighting.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Fighting really has no place in an lbt based game I'd think.   Though most folks seem to live player vs player and such combats.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One idea I thought of was this:

Maybe you could help random little sharpteeth get away from big leafeaters who try to harm them?  (Sort of like when Chomper was being chased by Ali's herd.)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That could be a different sort of quest indeed.  Though I guess the char may need to be outside the valley for that one, maybe due to another quest and if you go to the right area you may come across this quest.  

Maybe one of something like a flyer, or someone mentions a flyer saw a herd of far walkers heading this way and were close, but didn't look like they knew the entrance to the great valley and if you can go out and tell them, or guide them to the entrance.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, any sort of mission that involves sharpteeth portrayed in a positive light is A-OK by me.   :DD

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe include a way for the characters to learn their abilities from a certain NPC in the form of a task that would grant you an ability at the end, instead of straight out getting abilites after repetition of some similar ability.

Ex. There was talk about flying being a separate level-up skill in a different thread. Level one, every flyer starts out like unflyable Petrie. Then, at level 2 or something, instead of immediately getting the ability to glide, or being able to allot "points" to gliding, you could talk to Guido, who will teach you how to glide if you do a task for him and if your level is high enough. Then some more levels later Petrie or maybe even Pterano can teach you how to fly.

Also, would treestars be a form of payment/currency for completing tasks?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: NaNaNa,Mar 3 2009 on  05:31 PM
Maybe include a way for the characters to learn their abilities from a certain NPC in the form of a task that would grant you an ability at the end, instead of straight out getting abilites after repetition of some similar ability.

Ex. There was talk about flying being a separate level-up skill in a different thread. Level one, every flyer starts out like unflyable Petrie. Then, at level 2 or something, instead of immediately getting the ability to glide, or being able to allot "points" to gliding, you could talk to Guido, who will teach you how to glide if you do a task for him and if your level is high enough. Then some more levels later Petrie or maybe even Pterano can teach you how to fly.

Also, would treestars be a form of payment/currency for completing tasks?
Interesting that you brought up those ideas, as I have thought of using that system for learning abilities as well.  

The system I'm picturing for abilities in our game is basically what you described there, NaNaNa.  I'm thinking:

There could be some abilities that are learned automatically when you reach a certain level.  There would not be very many of these.

Most abilities would be taught to you by an NPC, either as a reward for completing some task or some other reason.  I'm also picturing some tasks involving learning a new skill from an NPC then being expected to apply the skill to complete the task that NPC gives you.  ( "Here, I'll show you how to do this so now you can go do something for me!", basically)

Some abilities or ways to improve or "specialize" your abilities could be earned by spending points that you gain when you level up.

As for treestars being a currency, I thought about it but the decision on that was, * our game will not have a currency system because it seemed too "human" and not "LBT-like" *.  Some tasks may involve giving and receiving but that's the extent of currency in our game.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmm. Currency is basically a core of pretty much every RPG I've seen but it's not very inline with LBT.

Hmm. It's kind of interesting to have a sequential skill set.

Glide ---> flight
Floating/treading water ------> true swimming

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm. Currency is basically a core of pretty much every RPG I've seen but it's not very inline with LBT.
Not much about this game is going to be like any RPG we've ever seen. ;)

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well if there isn't currency, I suppose we could go with that species reputation thing. Did that ever get green lighted?

I like your idea for getting an ability and then using it to complete a task. Sort of like a mini-tutorial for it. If you decide to quit the task halfway, you would lose the ability, and if you complete it you get it permanently.

For the sequential abilities thing, you should make it so that each ability remains useful the entire game throughout. For example, flying would allow to to stay in the air indefinitely and go higher/lower, but gliding would be a lot faster. You could even fly way up high in the sky and then glide down to get to your destination fast, like a deranged prehistoric stuntman

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well if there isn't currency, I suppose we could go with that species reputation thing. Did that ever get green lighted?
Not officially but I like the idea very much; I see no reason not to use it.

For the sequential abilities thing, you should make it so that each ability remains useful the entire game throughout. For example, flying would allow to to stay in the air indefinitely and go higher/lower, but gliding would be a lot faster.
Aside from flying and swimming, there won't probably be many examples where one skill will "develop" into another.  It's a cool idea but I don't really see why "gliding" and "flying" need to be considered completely separate skills, for example.  Other abilities in the game will be even more different from each other than gliding/flying so I suspect that they'll function as separate skills for the most part.

As for how flying will work:
Flapping your wings will require spending stamina.  Gliding will use no more staminathan being on the ground.  I suspect that conserving stamina, just like a real living thing, would be the main reason for gliding.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You could even fly way up high in the sky and then glide down to get to your destination fast, like a deranged prehistoric stuntman
In this case, that would be a 'diving' skill, which would be different again from gliding and flying, I would think.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Mar 3 2009 on  08:28 PM

Aside from flying and swimming, there won't probably be many examples where one skill will "develop" into another. It's a cool idea but I don't really see why "gliding" and "flying" need to be considered completely separate skills, for example. Other abilities in the game will be even more different from each other than gliding/flying so I suspect that they'll function as separate skills for the most part.

True, but there's no point in trying to hurl a boulder before lifting a rock. Of course that's a total exaggeration but you get my point.

Off topic a little bit, but the sequential abilities reminded me of something. Do your characters ever...grow up? Or do they start as adults

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
True, but there's no point in trying to hurl a boulder before lifting a rock. Of course that's a total exaggeration but you get my point.

In that particular example, your ability to move objects depends on your strength stat as well as maybe the level of whatever *ability* (not your character's level) you're using to hurl said boulder.  The distance, speed, etc. of the hurling would depend on your strength, type and ability level.  Also, every object will have a "strength requirement" to be able to move it. If you don't meet that minimum, you won't even be able to budge it.

This same idea would apply to most/all abilities in the game.  As your character gains levels, the player gains points to spend in different aspects of your character:
Strength
Agility
Toughness
Resilience

Off topic a little bit, but the sequential abilities reminded me of something. Do the characters ever...grow up? Or do they start as adults
Your characters start off as and remain as, even at max level, kids like the Gang.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Actually, for species reputation, there should be some tasks/adventures you can only start on after being at a certain reputation level.

This way, the reputation system could be deeper. By continuously doing tasks for a certain species, their tasks become harder and the rewards become more and more specific.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, for species reputation, there should be some tasks/adventures you can only start on after being at a certain reputation level.

This way, the reputation system could be deeper. By continuously doing tasks for a certain species, their tasks become harder and the rewards become more and more specific.
I totally agree with this.  The reputation system could bring a lot of depth to the game and we'll take as much advantage of it as we can.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
will it be with just the 1 species or will it effect your standing with other species also?