The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Background Music?

Serris · 29 · 3946

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What kind of music are you guys envisioning in this game?

Obviously, LBT songs are out of the question as they are copyrighted.

I think a good soundtrack for the game would be something "tribal/jungle" sounding (hand drums, possible "jungle ambient" sounds like leaves rustling, pan pipes, didgeridoo etc.)

An example of what it would sound like is this: Untamed Land (Command and Conquer)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be different sorts of music in different locations.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What kind of music are you guys envisioning in this game?

Obviously, LBT songs are out of the question as they are copyrighted.
Unfortunately, so much of this project suffers from copyright inrfingement anyway (the use of the LBT name, world, characters, etc.), using music that doesn't relate to LBT wouldn't prevent much. :p

First of all, I have NO intention of just using music directly from the LBT movies in the game.  I won't just be ripping the music from the DVDs into the game.  

I think a good soundtrack for the game would be something "tribal/jungle" sounding (hand drums, possible "jungle ambient" sounds like leaves rustling, pan pipes, didgeridoo etc.)
While that was awesome for the Turok games (I loved the Turok 1 and 2 soundtracks :D), I just don't like it for LBT, personally.  I noticed a bit of that in the later LBT movies (the LBT 11 menu, for example) as well as the TV series and was never fond of it.  I always preferred the orchestral scores and I plan on sticking with the older style of music from the earlier LBT films.

The reason for this is simple: I prefer the mood of the orchestral scores and I'm the one composing the soundtrack for the game so my way or the highway. :p

Naw, seriously though, I will probably rearrange/remix some of the well-known LBT musical themes, as well as introduce my own themes and variations to suit the mood of the various locations and events throughout the game.  These themes will be influenced by the earlier LBT films mainly, and focus on an orchestral style, with some other elements thrown in as necessary.

I'd like to keep the game with a strong LBT feel/atmosphere about it, hence I want to keep the same sort of musical style to remind the player that it's an LBT world, not just a prehistoric/typical jungle/dinosaur world.

It could be different sorts of music in different locations.
For sure, it will be. :)  I will attempt to re-use music tracks as little as possible beause I know how quickly the music gets repetitive in long games. :p

Hahaha, that C&C clip reminds me soo much of some music in the SNES game, "Earthbound", the music from the Lost Underworld! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kIE2xVJdTc

What does everyone think about that plan? :)

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Hey, have you ever heard "Mario Galaxy"'s "Good Egg Galaxy" Theme? Sounds good for a neutral territory like a plain. I think. It inspires adventure.

I've got a few other in the sleeve, if you want.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, have you ever heard "Mario Galaxy"'s "Good Egg Galaxy" Theme? Sounds good for a neutral territory like a plain. I think.
No but I'll go look it up!

[EDIT] Okay I see what you're getting at! ;) Very cool theme, I totally agree that would be a good sort of starting point.  While that track doesn't hit me as "LBT ish", the concept is fine and it the very general idea could be be considered and modified to be a fast-paced happy area track, if we ever need a fast-paced area track. :p :D

Naturally though, the LBT soundtrack will be my biggest influence.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A Peaceful Valley-esque piece might fit for a "neutral" area (nest or something).

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like some good ideas folks are having.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Oooh, I think a tune remeniscent of the "Boring" song would make a really good playful adventuring/cave exploring mix... At least, I think so  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A Peaceful Valley-esque piece might fit for a "neutral" area (nest or something).
I agree with that, something easy to listen to and peaceful. :)

Oooh, I think a tune remeniscent of the "Boring" song would make a really good playful adventuring/cave exploring mix... At least, I think so 
Haha, you know, I kinda of like this idea!  :lol
We'll see! :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm guessing you'll have to use public domain music or do some of your own, or have someone else write & make some music for the game.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Someone else, naw. :p I have 6 years of music training and over 10 years of practicing composing behind me, I'm sure I can whip up something. ;)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
An instrumental piece reminiscent of "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" would work well as a theme for the Mysterious Beyond.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
An instrumental piece reminiscent of "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" would work well as a theme for the Mysterious Beyond.
Unless he seriously changed it around to make it sound a lot more deeper and dark, that really wouldn't work well at all in my opinion. I don't even think the Mysterious Beyond should have any recognizable tune in the background, but rather, just some ambient, really dark sounding instruments that play, just to give it a very eerie and suspenseful mood.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Unless he seriously changed it around to make it sound a lot more deeper and dark, that really wouldn't work well at all in my opinion.
I actually agree here.  BTMB is too pleasant-sounding for a potentially hostile region, I think.

I don't even think the Mysterious Beyond should have any recognizable tune in the background, but rather, just some ambient, really dark sounding instruments that play, just to give it a very eerie and suspenseful mood.

I'm torn on this still.  I'd rather get something memorable for each of the music tracks in the game, which can be enjoyed on its own while bringing a lot of atmosphere to the game.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It would make the game more memorable, but still, I can't see any of the music found in The Land Before Time suited enough for a place as dark as the Mysterious Beyond. Though now that I think about it, I'm sure they must have made some instrumental pieces for when the gang did encounter the Mysterious Beyond right?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sure they must have made some instrumental pieces for when the gang did encounter the Mysterious Beyond right?
Yep, I can think of a couple that were used in the films.

That being said, I won't directly steal them, though I may adapt them a bit if it works musically.  For the most part I'll be making variations of existing themes as well as writing new stuff.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Unless you have a studio, composing stuff would be hard. Even then, you'd have to have a lot of instruments. Playing orchestral or soundtrack on a keyboard or synthesizer would sound terrible.

I guess all of us could send in our own little snippets of music to use in the game.

But anyone know if we can do covers of popular songs? They did that for a lot of movies, like Across the Universe and I Am Sam (both of those had Beatles covers because they couldn't get the copyrighted master tracks in).

If we could do covers, i'd gladly send in a cover of "Going To California" by Led Zeppelin, without the vocals. It sounds pretty folky and nice, but its up to you guys if you think it has an LBT atmosphere.

Agree with the remix thing, btw. That sounds like its pretty hard to do though. My good will to you.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Unless you have a studio, composing stuff would be hard. Even then, you'd have to have a lot of instruments. Playing orchestral or soundtrack on a keyboard or synthesizer would sound terrible.
I actually *do* have a studio and some of the best orchestral synthesizers that money can buy.
Symphonic Orchestra, Platinum Edition
This will be more than good enough for our needs.  Check the demos out on this link and let me know if you think that will sound good enough for an amateur PC game. ;)

I also some some electronic-sounding instruments and a collection of rock instruments.  I'm thinking we'll have everything we need. :)
Ministry of Rock
Goliath - (Actually I have Colossus, which is one product lower than this but you get the idea) :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just thought I'd post up a demo of one of my recent compositions, using nothing but my computer and the software in my above post:

Spirit of the Game
It's a short little track but I think it sounds high-quality and realistic enough for anything but the most demanding high-budget project.