The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is this game? Details here

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or you do and have to start over again with a new character.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Or maybe you could lose consciousness and wake up in a place of safety, rescued by an ally?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe the 7th movie rainbow faces can save you at the last second and beam you home in a beam of light they went away in as seen at the end of the 7th movie.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
except there still should be some sort of penalty for dying. Otherwise people would just use death for quick transportation.

don't do the stat loss system, I've always hated that, its annoying and frustrating.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ducky's mother slaps you and publicly humiliates you.  That could be enough.  For Flyers it may be Petrie's mother who does that.  Longnecks get grandma longneck who does that.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Perhaps you could lose some reputation with the herds that you are currently on an adventure for.  I wonder where the player would come back to life so it's not abused as a travelling system, like you said...

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
I dont think there's any way to get around instant transport for death, but what you could do is put them somewhere totally inconvenient that they would have to get out of

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
No Star Trek beaming in the game. Also it might be kind of odd of Ducky's mother (perhaps gentlest of all parents to rebuke a kid for dying). I think a while ago Tim and I agreed in a chat that a high loss of experience points (which are needed to improve your abilities etc.) would be a proper punishment. We did not go too much into detail about it then though.
Reputation loss could be another option, but I guess in that case we would have to implement ways to restore it or else we might block characters forever from certain tasks just because they died once... though I see why the reputation might suffer from the fact that a character is a zombie (Ducky's mother: "Uhm sorry, but we found somebody else to be the nanny for our hatchlings.") :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The multiplayer actually works?  Wow, I wan't to try it out, anybody with me?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm with ya! If I remember correctly, though, I think Action disabled the feature in the current release of the game. Is that right?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm with ya! If I remember correctly, though, I think Action disabled the feature in the current release of the game. Is that right?
Actually it's fully functional in the latest release! :D

Well..it's very basic but it does work. :p

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, yay! Definitely going to have to try that out :D

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ok, lets do it, have to kinda figure it out though.  I'm using that hamachi thing Action suggested.  The network I created is

*REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS*

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll jump on that network too but raga, I *MUST* tell you something:

Anyone connected to that hamachi account has the same access to your computer that any computer on your home network would have.  Meaning, anyone who reads that username and password who wants to cause trouble..could do it extremely easily!  

Remove that username and password from the public forum and send it via PM to everyone.  Otherwise anyone could join and take over your network.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Edit: thanks for that, I PM anyone who is interested, just tell me

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
wait whats this multiplayer talk thats been going on about?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, well, DarkWolf, raga and I just tested multiplayer and...for as well as it works on a home network/LAN, it still is NOT playable over the internet with more than 2 players, it looks like. :( Even 2 players will get a bit buggy.  

I'll have to rework how we handle the network stuff and we can try again in the near future. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I made some changes to the networking code. :)

The following changes will appear in version 0.19:

Instead of everyone sending and receiving data about your location thousands of times per second, it now only sends data 12 times per second (once every 5 game frames).  I have been watching the network activity on my home network and it's so low, it's showing no network usage at all.

There is a downside to this though:
Because we're not updating locations as often, movement for other players will appear jerkier.

The fix to this will be to write some "prediction" code.  I could in theory estimate where the other players will be and just draw them in the new location, keeping the game looking smoother for the most part.  This will take a long time to get working properly though and it's low priority since it's entirely for looks only.

Here's my plan:
That value of "5" (sending data every 5 frames) is very easily-changable.
In a version in the near future, I will let the host choose, in the options menu, the number of frames between network updates.  This will players to reduce the value to zero or 1 for LAN games and to higher values for more stable performance over long distances.  This will actually be simple to impliment, I could have it in for the next version. :)

Eventually we could even maybe use latency times to estimate an appropriate value so all this will be hands-off and reliable, no matter what, but I'll get back to you on that. :p