The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Massive multiplayer test - Finished

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey!

As Flathead mentioned, we could try to get up as many players as possible in one game. We'll need 3 things for that:

A host with a decent internet connection.
Lots of others to join!
A time to do so.

I was thinking of the weekends since members usually have more time there.

So for all our americans. Would you rather have a sunday or a saturday morning?
And for our Europeans, rather a saturday or sunday evening/afternoon?

As for me, either one would work out.

Getting the IP adresses shouldn't be a problem. If everyone downloads Hamachi and creates an account with their GoF name(just for keeping it simple) it should be alright.

So far, people who would like to join:

Europe:
Mumbling -either

America:
812558 - saturday
Action9000 - either
Alex - either
Belmont2500 - saturday
Flathead770 - either
Grungecat - either
Kor - ?
LB&T - either
Serris - either

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
As it's the sumer, I'm free almost all the time. And I certainly don't want to miss this!

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Belmont2500,Aug 12 2009 on  02:46 PM
I might be able to give it a try.
What day in the weekend would suit you better, saturday or sunday? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Weekends sound like a good idea since that may be when most members interested in testing the multiplayer would have the most free time I would guess.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I could probably do either day, whatever works best for everyone else. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Aug 12 2009 on  05:02 PM
Weekends sound like a good idea since that may be when most members interested in testing the multiplayer would have the most free time I would guess.
Would you like to join yourself kor? :)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 12 2009 on  10:27 AM
Quote from: Kor,Aug 12 2009 on  05:02 PM
Would you like to join yourself kor? :)
I can give it a try at the very least.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I edited my first post and added people who would like to join :)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex,Aug 12 2009 on  08:28 PM
If I'm home, I'll do it. Either day works for me.
Okay awesome, added your name to the list above as well.

I'd love to make a video of our meeting to use for the next video update on youtube, or just as advertising in general. If anyone else has a video recording program on their computer and would like to try and film as well, they're certainly welcome to. It would be nice to see it from different perspectives.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 12 2009 on  03:18 AM
Getting the IP adresses shouldn't be a problem. If everyone downloads Hamachi and creates an account with their GoF name(just for keeping it simple) it should be alright.
What is Hamachi? Totally willing to download it, but I'm not positive what that is or what I need to do.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 12 2009 on  09:23 PM
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 12 2009 on  03:18 AM
What is Hamachi? Totally willing to download it, but I'm not positive what that is or what I need to do.
Hamachi is a networking program. Don't worry, I will make a nice tutorial on how to get and use it. Will be posted here soon.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How to get and use Hamachi:

Go here: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

Click on the big yellow button 'Download now'

You can register, but it's optional. Make sure to tick the last box though.

Choose your OS and download it to your computer.

Just install it as you would install any program.

Use Hamachi as a non-commercial license.

You'll have to enter a username. I cannot show you this procedure because I already have an account on my computer. It should be pretty simple though.

Just for the heck of it, I created a room you can join. Click on the triangle like button on the bottom of the hamachi screen and choose the option 'join an existing network'. The name of the network is: LBTRPGTestroom and the password is
*REMOVED BY ACTION9000*

Please send the passwords by PM or something, Iris. :) Any computer on this network can be freely accessed by anyone else on the network.  If I connect to it and another person who wants to cause trouble connects to it, they could actually delete countless GB of data from my computer.  Security is very important when using Hamachi.  Thanks. :)

Everything should work properly.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You know how if multiple computers are in a house or a building, they can all connect together and be on a home network or something?

Hamachi lets up create a network just like that, except the computers don't need to be in the same building.  This is useful because in order to play internet games by IP normally, every player needs to forward the correct ports on their router and..ugh it's a technical nightmare. :p

This just makes the procedure simple; just type in the IP that Hamachi gives you and it magically works. :p

Just remember, like I said above in Mumbling's post:
*DO NOT share passwords publically for hamachi networks!*
This is because anyone connected will have the same rights to the computers on the network as any computers on your home network.  In my case, anyone connected to the same Hamachi network as me can access (and even delete!) hundreds of GB of my personal files.  People would also have access to install software on my computer, such as malware, very easily.  Security is a serious thing with Hamachi.  Protect those passwords! :)

I trust members here to not delete my stuff or install viruses on my computer, but this topic can be viewed by Guests, who could literally be anyone.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 12 2009 on  10:14 PM
I trust members here to not delete my stuff or install viruses on my computer, but this topic can be viewed by Guests, who could literally be anyone.
Fair enough. I didn't know this part of the forum was also for guests(previously only members could see it).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm just thinkin' that permissions of a forum like this could change at anytime, as we work on more private things, as we want to expose more publically, blahblahblah. :p

Being private as this section was, there could still become a time when we want to move it into the public's eyes, at which point everything here would become no longer secret.  I would have removed that from your post even if this section was still for members only, because someday it may not be.  Even members only, we don't always get perfectly well-behaved members.  I probably overreact, but the internet scares me sometimes. :p

No worries about it; to be fair, most people have more network security than I do. I just have it really easy to transfer and change files around my network because I do it so often. :p

No worries, really! :D  Until very recently, this part of the forum was just for members and I was just thinking about the day when it may not be and the wrong person comes by.  :p