The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Massive multiplayer test - Finished

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
that was pretty fun...next time I'm trying characters other than
Spike though. Definitely want to do that again!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sawwy about that! :p :p

What exactly happened?

the game was stable with 3/4 players, as long as all of the players had good connections.  4 players when one of them had a weaker connection appeared to have caused crashes for everyone.

We had as many as 6 players in the game but it crashed soon after the 6th one joined, when this new player alt-tabbed.  I don't know what the cause of the crash was, since alt-tabbing does not normally break anything in this game.

We also ran into a bug where all clients saw a model of their own dino sitting up at the starting position.  This model had its own ID number and didn't respond to any movement keys from any players.  I'm obviously just creating an ID (maybe one lower than the lowest or one higher than the highest player) that I don't have to and I need to find out where that is.

Okay, I honestly haven't got the slightest idea why the network crashed with 5/6 people.  I have a few guesses, such as the amount of data I have to send around when a player joins the game..or my game relying on connections being very very strong..but I'd love to find a way to just have the poorly connected player drop from the game rather than bringing down the whole game.

The problem is right now, when a new player joins, every computer on the network has to do a bunch of stuff and I think that's part of the problem.  I can try to streamline that a bit and cut down on the amount of network activity involved with a new joining player and hope that helps a little...

but the game has also crashed at times not relating to a new joining player so this is officially very complicated.

Once again, I was getting more network activity than I thought I'd need for sending such simple data around.  I'll see what I can cut back but we had everything on the slowest settings for this test...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wish I could have joined in, but it seems Hamachi refused to work on my computer.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What about quality? I always clicked "High Quality" at the green first screen. It was just, whenever I clicked Low I couldn't log in. Each time the reason I couldn't log in was shown to be something else, but I guess I associated Low with "inable-to-log-in". Would keeping it low quality help?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would assume the quality thing is only for your own CPU, not so much for the network , but I would need tim to confirm that if it's correct.

Yes it's too bad you couldn't get it to work Kor. It would be fun to have you around.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
but I guess I associated Low with "inable-to-log-in". Would keeping it low quality help?
Nope, the quality settings have absolutely no effect on the functionality of the network.  The only thing you can change that affects the network is the network speed option.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 15 2009 on  02:37 PM
Yes it's too bad you couldn't get it to work Kor. It would be fun to have you around.
I'd have liked to be on there but if Hamachi refuses to work nothing I can do about it.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
You know, Kor, all you need is the IP address. Since we can all get on Hamachi, we could just PM you the IP we're using. You'll log in later than the rest of us, but at least you can participate.

Mumbling, make sure to post a link to your video. You are uploading it to Youtube, right?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05XjDtu_Ki8&fmt=18

Please rate 5 stars, comment and subscribe to that channel! (We can use all the popularity haha)

If you can, please also become a friend. Friends can comment automatically, while others will have to be approved by me or action.

Thanks!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ok, i sent a friend request, gave it a 5 star rating and commented.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Whoopsie, commented and then read I was supposed to become a friend first.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 18 2009 on  01:08 AM
Whoopsie, commented and then read I was supposed to become a friend first.
That's alright, I can approve of your comments but the thing is if you become a friend(and I accept, of course) you can comment without me approving. It's just slightly easier for me and for future videos.

I'd like an admin to lock this topic and change the title to something like "Massive Multiplayer Test - Finished"

Though I doubt any admin will see this soon since I never see Petrie or Nick in this section, malte and jason are having fun and tim's.... sleeping and working. Oh well, will be done once :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can always pm an admin and ask them to lock this thread.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fair enough, it's not in much of a hurry though. I just want to prevent newer members from being like "I wanna join too!"

Thanks for the tip though :)