The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Bad Pairing

Kit12 · 5 · 1156

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
(OOC: Ok, another one that was on fanfic that I'm letting you guys read. I'll post it chapter by chapter as I make sure everything's edited properly probably since I have to change up references to Twiz from before, but most of you don't know anything about that...just enjoy!

I can handle updating two stories at once :DD and "Life with Mother" will be edited as ideas hit, for anyone wondering about my other stories I posted)

Chapter 1

"I'm hungry again", at the outburst, the pink flyer who had spoken was treated to a harsh glance from his companion, a brown flyer, as the two flew on. "You've been complaining since we took off!" the flyer, Sierra, said, "Just stop it!".

His companion, Rinkus, turned a glare of his own to his companion, "Well if you'd let us stop soon enough to grab even a small bite I wouldn't have to complain, and who said you make the decisions anyway?" he asked.

As this argument continued, Sierra landed on a branch to give more attention to it. "I do" he shot back, "Why, you got a problem with that?!". Rinkus frowned deeply, "Maybe I do, 'cause maybe my ideas are better, after all I came up with the idea to use Pterano to get us to that Stone of Cold Fire".

"I wouldn't be so proud of that, considering how it went!" Sierra said. "Well for all we know that was your fault!" Rinkus shot back.

"H-hold up, did you annoying intruders just mention the name Pterano?" a voice said. Both of the bickering flyers glanced down and noticed a yellow flyer looking at them in guarded curiosity. "What's it to ya if we did" Sierra asked, folding his wings. The flyer seemed unaffected by this treatment, and if anything took up the challenge that was presented and unspoken.

He walked forward on the ledge, "I was just wondering what a lot like you was doing with my wimp of a brother, Pterano" the flyer said. This was of course the oldest of Pterano's hatchmates and the brother who had given him and the others the most trouble growing up, Cree; who was nothing short of a bully, even grown up.

Sierra seemed both suspicious and interested, "Yeah, we knew your brother, but I wouldn't say we were friends" he said. Cree chuckled, "Well no shocker there, I had to put up with him my whole life, so of course I understand".

Rinkus twisted the end of his tail in his bad habit he had as he regarded Cree, "You uh...we're aware of how much of a blowhard he was even early, huh?" he asked. "Oh yeah" Cree said in annoyed remembrance, "one of the most annoying ever". Rinkus chuckled, "Well, no argument there" he said.

"Blowhard's responsible for getting us banished from even considering entering the Great Valley again!" Sierra added in a mutter. Cree scoffed as well, "He, and my younger sister and little brother Tylr also with us at the time certainly didn't do me any favors, letting the now 'Great Vally Council' I hear they're called, kicked me out from the group traveling to the Great Valley the very day we found them! Oh, if I only knew how to show them and those two stuck up longnecks and threehorn they kiss up to what's what..." Cree muttered.

Sierra smirked, "Ya know Pterano got kicked out later himself" he pointed out, knowing all about the sordid tale. Cree seemed pleased with this news as he smiled, "Really...I'd almost wonder if maybe he'd be a help in getting back at...".

Rinkus' scoff interrupted Cree. "Maybe once, but not anymore, guy's fully on their side even after they kicked him out again, I heard through the tree sweet's vine and all" he commented. "Hmm, figures" Cree muttered.

Despite his suspicions, especially if this was Pterano's brother, Sierra couldn't help noticing that thus far this flyer was talking more like they did than like Pterano had. Pterano had had gumption that failed when morals got in the way, Cree didn't seem held down by all of that.

Almost along with his thoughts, Cree continued on towards the million dollar question. "You know...there is a Wisdom that says three heads are better than one; maybe we should show this Great Valley Herd just how tough to be kicked aside we really are".

Rinkus and Sierra glanced at each other. "A partnership, with you, to that one end?" Rinkus asked. Cree nodded. "Maybe" came Sierra's guarded answer. Cree smiled, noticing how these other flyers weren't going to be pulled along into something that easily, it wasn't something he had the pleasure of encountering very often. "Hmm, you've got nerve to stand up for yourself" he half praised, "makes me wonder how you put up with Pterano in the first place. He's quite soft ya know".

"Yeah" Sierra said, slowly making up his mind, "We noticed". Sierra pondered only a few seconds more, then turned back to Cree, "So what did you have in mind?" he asked. "Yeah" Rinkus agreed, "only...no more kidnapping" he shook his head, "That little nat, Petrie, was bad enough but then when we had to watch the little big mouth" he sighed, "I don't do well with kids" he muttered.

"Probably don't do well with sharpteeth either, do you" Cree asked, seemingly completely off topic. "Uh...no" Rinkus said, "why would I".

"Well I don't blame you that last one, really I don't" Cree said, "but if you could put up with sharptoothed flyers and not freak out...I might know of a not too annoying kid who could be of use to us".

"A kid, of use?!" Sierra asked, "and why's it got to be  a sharptoothed flyer's kid, isn't that kinda of dangerous?".

"Not with a good name dropping" Cree replied, "and I promise you we will get back at those Great Valleyers; now come on I'll explain on the way".

(OOC: On a side note, sorry that here and in other stories my chapters are so dang long!)

AnimeLover

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Did You Use The Character Cree From Codename Kids Next Door?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Wow, it's off to a good start :)
As always, love your writing. Keep it up!

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh I've so got to keep updating and let you guys read more than Chapter 1! Sorry :DD On he question on Cree...no...I came up with it (or so I thought) since it sounded flyer-ish and seemed to fit him. Now I have to look up what you're talking about! :DD

Chapter 2

The explanation had to do with a way that Cree had found to use two kids to his own end, and one of them was even his niece who's father he had just been putting down. Cree's youngest brother, Tylr's mate had been a sweet flyer named Violet who had had a brother Trip...and Trip, Cree had found out, had later hooked up with, of all things, a sharptoothed flyer! Not only that but the leader of said sharptoothed flyer herd, not that Trip got any respect being a weak flattooth, he'd even been kicked out despite the two having a half breed son, Twiz, Kit's cousin on the other side of her family.

That side of the family, for Twiz his father's side, was very important to the boy Cree had figured out when the herd passed by and he caught some words from the boy in flattooth (since young Twiz was fluent in both). Cree figured that given how grieved Twiz was over his father's absence, one mention of Kit and the boy would be willing to follow them to a deep dark cave if need be...but they didn't need him to follow them that far...just to the Great Valley.

To say that Rinkus lost his cool in the area they had to fly into would have been a gross understatement. It was a blessing they even made it as far back into the territory as where the little princeling of a half breed flyer's nest was. Yet, along with this miracle, all the sharptoothed flyers about were asleep and it was a simple matter of waking Twiz (then clamping a wing over his mouth to keep him quiet) and mentioning Cree's own connection to Kit, someone Twiz did look intrigued to meet back up with, apparently Cree had misheard and Twiz already knew who Kit was, just didn't get an opportunity to sneak into the Valley much.

They hadn't really even needed to ask fully before Twiz was onboard with helping this other relative of his cousin, Mr. Cree, out in anything. This, Cree decided, would be too easy. He knew three facts, and flapping into the night sky himself and his new partners had put into effect the first fact, of using Trip's son's attachment to him and his side of the family to pull the young one along. Now, they quickly headed off to put the second fact into usage and make good on the ever convenient third fact. The third fact had had to do with Kit herself and what Cree had noticed of his youngest brother's kid's naivety and willingness to help out family.

On top of this, that cursed pair of longnecks from the Valley Council  had a grandson, he seemed to recall hearing, and old Threehorn a daughter. Yes, there was enough here to pull this off. Even so, Cree had thought it wise to ask Rinkus and Sierra if his assessment of at least some of the young one's of the Valley was correct. His joy shot up immensely when he found out that not only did the afore mentioned young ones all hang out together, but there were even more accursed young one's to the group, a young swimmer who talked too much and her silent spiketail brohter, as well as a crested 'whistling' swimmer type that sounded like his niece Kit's friend (Tylr had always had annoyingly outlandish ideas about letting different kinds interact even before this diverse herd of later formed up) from a day or so before the big earthshake where his sister lost little Petrie.

This mission was as good as completed!

So, when step two of the Great Valley's downfall was coming about, the rising bright circle found Cree, Sierra, Rinkus and the young hatchling Twiz, sitting atop a cliff face near a huge boulder.

"I still don't get how this works" Rinkus admitted, looking from the boulder to Cree. The yellow flyer smirked, "Oh you will, now if you boys will help me push...". Cree began to push against the boulder and soon Rinkus and Sierra gave their help as well. Even little Twiz flapped over and pushed against the boulder as hard as he could. He wasn't really much of a driving force in moving the huge rock, but he was determined to help Mr. Cree and his friends anyway he could.

He was so eager to do this, in fact, that he didn't watch where he was pushing and when the other three adult flyers got the boulder rolling, it caught on young Twiz's wing and pulled him along with the momentum of the roll. No one had expected this and all three flyers did looked shocked, Cree even frowning a bit in what could almost be called regret, before he realized two things, one Twiz wasn't liable to die from the trip, and two...

"Ok, not in the plans, but this will work" Cree told Rinkus and Sierra with a smile. This plan was even taking care of completing itself! Looking confused, Rinkus and Sierra turned back to watch the boulder roll along once more.

~~~~

"Kit you're peeking!" Cera cried, storming over to where the little brown flyer hatchling sat on a branch, trying to count for a game of hide and seek. Kit frowned, "It got quiet, I thought you were all done hiding and I was gonna come look" she explained unsurely.

"That doesn't matter" Cera said, "you have to stay with your eyes covered and counting until you reach ten tree stars, it's the rules".

"We were all hid" Petrie pointed out, coming to his cousin, Kit's, rescue and flapping over from his own hiding spot. "That is true" Ducky pointed out, now walking over as well, "We were all hiding and ready to be found, we were, we were". Spike muttered his own agreements and nodded.

Cera sighed, letting out a large puff of air in annoyance. "Yep" Cory, the group's Whistling type swimmer friend came to the back up of Ducky's statment as well, which was really a back up of Kit's statement. Cera had had enough of agreement though.

"Alright, fine, I'm wrong and Kit's right, is that what everyone wants to hear! Huh?!" This question to everyone was yelled directly at Cory in Cera's frustration and the young swimmer faltered back, all but falling backwards with the wind of Cera's cry. Ducky helped him back up though.

"We, can just start over Cera" Littlefoot suggested, walking up from his own spot and trying to calm the Threehorn. Cera turned to respond, yet before she could the sound of her father, Mr. Threehorn's cry interrupted the young ones. "Over my last horn falling off!".

Such a cry from Mr. Threehorn, of course, pulled all the young one's attention immediately and without any discussion on the matter, everyone either ran or flapped straight over towards the brush separating them from the clearing most of the Valley seemed to be in. Slowly the young ones approached. Petrie spotted out his Uncle Tylr, Kit's father, on the outskirts of the group. "Uncle Tylr" he flapped over and whispered, "what going on?". Kit followed, also eager to hear her father's answer.

The teal colored flyer, Tylr, turned and such perceptive young ones, like Littlefoot, could spot out he was trying to not look as worried as he felt, "It's...the main watering hole, it's...well not dry, but low" he said. The Great Valley had gone through this a time or two with bad results and so he went on, trying to leave the young one's with optimism rather than worry, "Yet there is still water".

"Some, for now" Petrie's mother commented, not trying to undue what her youngest brother was attempting at leaving the young ones calm, yet not feeling good about the situation. It would be like what had happened before the time of the Great Giving...only with less water. And what if that dried up?

Mr. Threehorn's statement had been yelled to Ducky's mother in more just the frustration of the moment, after the swimmer had suggested sending a scout to look for water. Ducky's mother frowned, "It was just a suggestion". Mr. Threehorn, for his own part, sighed as well and replied still gruffly but calmer, "I know...but the last thing we need now is to go loosing more members after we've already lost the water, and out in the Mysterious Beyond...".

"There are sharpteeth" at least three dinosaurs finished for him at once. "Ya know, we don't keep forgetting that" another random Whistling swimmer not related to Cory replied.

Just then a cry interrupted everyone and the whole Valley it seemed watched as a green speck went flying (without wanting to) across the air and then plopping straight into the water left in the watering hole, enough to cause him problems and making him flounder about. As everyone else was looking stunned over this, Kit's eyes went wide with recognition and she soon darted forward herself giving one simple cry, "Twiz!".

The young flyer darted into the water herself, Cory rushing after his friend and Ducky soon following as well as the two swimmers realized what help they would be needed to be, especially if Kit was about to leapt into the water herself now! Before any of the kids reached the spot, it was Tylr who flapped over and plucked poor Twiz from the water, depositing him coughing and sputtering onto the shore once more.

"T-thanks" Twiz coughed. Tylr smiled, lifting the little one up, "Well, Trip's little boy" he said, having met his brother-in-law a time or two and knowing of Twiz even when the kid didn't know he was spotted sneaking into the Valley to play with Kit. "What brings you to visit in broad daylight?" Tylr asked, giving Twiz one or two pats on the back to help him expel the water. Finally the young one could speak, "I...fell, when the boulder blocked the water" he pointed.

The dinosaurs all looked and there were "Ah's" of understanding and disappointed "Oh's" of that being how the water was blocked.

"Worst off, I don't know where my herd is anymore" Twiz said honestly. "Oh, Twiz" Kit flapped up to hug her cousin in pity at this news, "well you can just stay here" she said.

"Hold up there..." Topsy stepped forward.

"Oh well, if you're Violet's sweet brother's kid then you are more than welcome" Petrie's mom next said, remembering her own sister-in-law from the days before Kit's hatching and before they'd lost her. Topsy sighed, "I still haven't given my verdict on just letting the kid...".

"We would be more than happy to take in the poor orphaned thing" Grandpa Longneck said, "Tylr, the boy is your nephew by pairing as well, if it would not be sudden to ask you to watch...".

"Of course not, I was going to offer before you even brought it up" Tylr cut him off. Grandpa Longneck smiled. Topsy went to say something, and Grandpa Longneck turned to him, "Don't you agree, my friend, that it is in the best interest?" the longneck asked with a smile. Topsy sighed and muttered something about one more mouth and low water, but nodded, "Yeah...I suppose if he has family here, we can't find cause to kick out that of their relatives who haven't acted up yet".

Tylr ignored the insinuation and smiled to Twiz, "Well then, we'll get you set up right away!". Twiz smiled, "Gee thanks alot Mr...um Uncle Tylr".

Mr. Threehorn stepped forward a bit in suspicion, "What's with your teeth kid?" he asked, seeing them a bit more pronounced than in other flyer's he'd met. Twiz frowned, immediately, "Oh...well...my mom's...kinda...a sharptoothed flyer" he said. There were gasps and some of the dinosaur's about stepped back.

"Oh yeah, I heard Trip's mate was the leader of a sharptoothed flyer's herd actually" Tylr admitted, "but I still think we can trust Trip's boy" he added with a smile before Mr. Threehorn could protest.

"Oh yes" Twiz nodded his head, "in fact, I eat alot of green food since...well, I'm flattooothed 'cause of my dad and...I want to make him proud if I ever meet up with him again, the herd kicked him out and my mom couldn't stop it or anything even though she's the leader".

Some of the before scared dinosuars now frowned in pity at this story. Mr. Threehorn blew out a puff of breath and walked forward, staring hard at first Tylr and then Ptami. "I want that kid watched" he said as his allowing statement to let him stay.

"Understood" Tylr nodded, yet found he was able to smile a bit.