The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How's the Weather?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Much cooler today! :^^spike

A line of heavy thunderstorms is expected to move into my area soon, prompting a Flash Flood Warning which is expected to last until 10:15 PM EST. I'm also under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 10:00 PM, and a Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 8:00 PM EST.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Do you have AC built into your house? Or do you have a mobile AC unit in your bedroom?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There's an AC unit in my bedroom. There's also an AC unit in the dining room where the computer is. :)

What I'm more worried about is the recent European heat waves. Many of them don't have AC to cool down, and nighttime temperatures won't be much relief for them. This has been the second one so far this summer. Remember the one a few weeks ago? It broke some records, and this time around more high temperature records are being broken.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's been getting steadily hotter here as well. Some days reach 30°C. Although today it's down to 20, and a breeze has picked up, which is nice.
:^^spike

It was quite hot when I was on vacation in British Columbia as well. There was one day that was supposed to reach 37°C, although thankfully I'd left town by then. My cousin (who lives in BC) wasn't too thrilled about it though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:54:57 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It has actually gotten much cooler here. Temperatures at night are more comfortable, with most nights now being below 20°C. Daytime highs are only in the low 80s Fahrenheit now, and dew points/humidity are more comfortable as well.

As a matter of fact, at the current time I'm writing this, it's 1°F above 20°C (69°F), and temps will drop even further overnight.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's cooled down here as well. 15°C today. It'll be a bit warmer over the next several days, but in the 20-25 range, which is still cooler than the previous few weeks.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yesterday night was 63°F (~17.2°C), and tonight is expected to be 62°F (~16.7°C). The dew point today was 50°F (10°C), the lowest it has been for the past month or so. It'll still be quite awhile before the AC can be put away, but I'm liking the cooler temps. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm liking them as well. It still tends to be rather warm during the day, but it's been cooling off quite a bit at night, which helps me sleep better.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As we approach fall, the temperatures have been considerably cooler, and the dew points are lower on average too. Temps in the day are mostly in the 70s now, nighttime temps are in the mid 50s by next week.

Anyone heard of Hurricane Dorian? Maximum sustained winds of 185 mph were reported, a nasty major Category 5 hurricane that went directly over parts of the Bahamas. It's expected to make a turn northward then northeast before hitting Florida, but the impacts are still expected to be horrible for them. Yep, a very quiet start to the Hurricane Season in the Atlantic does not mean that the entire season will be quiet or insignificant.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Tonight’s low will be the coolest for the entire month of September for me, it seems. 47°F (~8.3°C) is the low for tonight, and I’m very happy about that, as it leaves for a very comfortable sleep without any fans running. Nighttime temperatures will quickly rebound however, going back to the low to mid 60’s °F in 2-3 days.

At one point pretty recently, there were six named tropical storms/hurricanes at once, with one of them now at Tropical Depression status as it drenches the Texas coastline with heavy rain and flooding.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's around 8°C for the low for me these days but it looks like later this week starting Thursday it's going to drop to -1°C as a low and 6°C as a high. It's supposed to rain as well so maybe there will be some sneaky snow falling as well

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My city got hit with an impressive snowstorm today.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nice, StardustSoldier! Here on Long Island, it's still not even close to the temperature required for snow, let alone any winter precipitation. On Wednesday, it will heat up to 86°F (30°C) before cooling down to 64°F (~17.8°C) the following day. After that, it will be a pretty long stretch of temperatures that are 20°C or lower for the daytime. :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^And just like that, here comes the freezing temperatures. Tomorrow night will be the coldest night so far, dropping to 21°F (-6.1°C). The day will start out with a comfortable 53°F (~11.7°C) however.

It may or may not be the first snowflakes of the season for me as well, depending on how the precipitation and the temperatures align with each other. The rain may end before seeing that transition to snow, but who knows. I’ll update on that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:31:33 PM by ImpracticalDino »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep. It's getting pretty cold here too. Lots of snow out right now. Although earlier this afternoon it was only -13°C, so my dad and I took the huskies out for a walk. The sun was out, so it was a pleasant walk in the countryside.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep. It's getting pretty cold here too. Lots of snow out right now. Although earlier this afternoon it was only -13°C, so my dad and I took the huskies out for a walk. The sun was out, so it was a pleasant walk in the countryside.

Lol, so ~8.6°F is pleasant weather for you? Yep, that’s Canada for you. :p

We did get that transition to snow by the way! It happened right around 1:30 PM today, and it stopped right about now at 3:30 PM. No snow accumulation, but then again the ground must’ve been pretty warm since the temperature all day yesterday and this morning has been in the 50s °F. That, and the snowfall was relatively light.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I meant 'pleasant' in that the walk itself was enjoyable. Even though the temperature was rather low, the bright sun and clear sky made it feel warmer. That, and I hadn't done a major walk in over a month (and normally I'm an avid walker), so the chance for some exercise was refreshing.

I do notice I said "only" -13°C, which granted is already pretty cold. But compared to, say, -25 or so, -13 is relatively mild.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:03:27 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I meant 'pleasant' in that the walk itself was enjoyable. Even though the temperature was rather low, the bright sun and clear sky made it feel warmer. That, and I hadn't done a major walk in over a month (and normally I'm an avid walker), so the chance for some exercise was refreshing.

I do notice I said "only" -13°C, which granted is already pretty cold. But compared to, say, -25 or so, -13 by comparison is relatively mild.

The only question I have for you at this point though was why you couldn’t perform a major walk for the past month or so. Surely the warmer temperatures would be enticing, right? Or were there other things that you had to focus your attention to?

And yeah, I agree. The sun warms you up pretty nicely no matter the temperature, and it feels very comfortable on your skin as well. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It wasn't that I was unable to go out for a walk, necessarily. But for a few different reasons, I just didn't get around to it. The weather was already starting to get colder, for one thing. Winter typically doesn't bother me much, and I still like to do occasional winter walks. All the same, the cooling weather did make it harder to find the motivation. I also had this massive novella project for a client that I was working on constantly for nearly two whole months. I spent many restless nights at my computer with a large mug of coffee trying to get it all done. :p And lastly, my grandmother passed away very suddenly late in October, and so my brother and I then flew out to a different province to attend the funeral and spend time with our extended family.

So in answer to your question, yeah, my lack of walking was basically just because I had other things occupying my attention.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That must be stressful, hehe. I’ve drank so much soda over the years that the caffeine doesn’t seem to have an effect on me anymore. In fact, I think it actually makes me more tired at this point. It’s probably because I need much more caffeine than I used to need to acquire the same alertness effect. And since I’m drinking less of it now, that’s probably the reason why.

If I continue to procrastinate too much, I fear that I won’t get anything done ever, or I would just stay up all night all the time to get things done. :p

I’m sorry to hear about another passing of a loved one. Hopefully it felt easier to cope with considering that you have experienced death like this before.