The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Lion King

Saft · 44 · 6365

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Discussion of one of the greatest disney films of all time, although I am probably biased as it is my favourite film.

I will add more to this tomorrow but I'll just give a basic background of how I came to love the film.

Along with The Land Before Time, my Dad when I was four and living with Grandparents bought me The Lion King.  Unfortunately I am one of those who have never seen the film in the cinemas (when first released nor the 2001 Mirmax special release into theatres).  Like the Land Before Time, the Lion King has touched me in a way that is hard to describe.  

Although when I was younger, I did not fully appreciate the music, the art work, the scenes or even some of the characters.  Which is similar to the Land Before Time series.  

Cliche perhaps that Simba is my favourite character but I feel as though he has strength, courage etc.  ....I guess, everything that I wish to be.

Now the sequels:Whilst I was not particularly impressed with the third movie: Hakuna Matata or Lion King 1 1/2... I did, to some extent like Simba's Pride.  Although it has been years since I've seen this movie, I do recall that I was truely in awe with the music.  Althought the music will never be as good or magical as The Lion King, it has some sort of magic that to put it bluntly makes me happy.  

I'll leave it here for today and will continue tomorrow.  I'd appreciate any thoughts to the films (even if you didn't like it :) ).  After all, it is a discussion.

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I say it would be one of my favorite Disney movies too, with the popularity, the music, the characters and everything else! :DD

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The lion King remains imo the last trukly great Disney Animated film. its sequel , which was inevitable following the first fil'm sucess. was a big disappointment. the interquel borrowed from the first film, and reviewed said that the parts from the first film were far superior to the "Timon and Oummba" side. Imo they should have never made either sequel, and let the first film stand on its own merits.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Personally I liked Simba's Pride, and thought that it was one of Disney's better sequels. Plus, when I watched the deleted scenes I realized how fantastic it could have been and appreciated it all the more. Though, of course, it will never equal the first. I have a bit to say about TLK and will probably write more later... It's a fantastic film.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I agree with you Nick regarding the Timon and Pumbaa sequel, that should never have been made as there wasn't really any story line etc.

I agree with Darkwolf though regarding Simba's Pride it was one of Disney's better sequels, although I dislike sequels regardless I do have to say that it was a better sequel than the normal sequels that disney give out.

The Lion King along with Beauty and the Beast is one of those films were you can actually feel through the music.  

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've never seen the beauty and the beast but I do honestly love the lion king. Some of you might have seen my collection(which kind of became an addiction by now :p)

The movie on itself still makes me shed a couple of tears, just like the land before time. My emailaddress(thelionqueen) is also based on that movie(although I wasn't too much of a fan in 2007, I did create it because of TLK).

The sequels are okay. As for any great movie, usually sequels aren't quite as great as the actual classic, but that doesn't make them bad. I love simba's pride. It had a complete different goal but the story was still very good and it still hold simba's will to follow his father in it. As for the lion king 1 1/5(or 3 as we call it in europe)... It did definitely make me laugh, but it didn't have the lion king feel to it. I usually watch it when I'm in need of a good laugh.

From the original movie I honestly like the scene that simba sees his father in the clouds. It's quite emotional.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And both movies (not counting the 3rd) have similiar storyline bases from Shakespeare: Hamlet (Lion King) and Romeo and Juliet (Simba's Pride).

I agree with Mumbling regarding the fact that Hakuna Matata did not have the Lion King feel, in fact I found it quite disorganised.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the problem with Romeo and Juliet is that the lovers actually die. theres no happy ending. they kill themselves, thinking the other is dead. I found Kiara to be a bit spoiled and self-centered, and Simba was a overly protective father. Nala was barely in the second film at all.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It was mainly about Kiara anyway, so Nala shouldn't have a huge role.

Why do you find her spoiled and self-centered? Could you give examples?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I really don't have examples, it was just my personal reading of her..you may disagree. the character I liked most was probably Nuka, Kovu was pretty bland actualy, despite being the "chosen one".
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm I see. Okay
I like kovu, but everyone knows that.
I don't think Kiara is too self-centered, though I guess I know what you mean. I've had that feeling too about her.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
For myself, Kiara wasn't a complex character in fact she was quite simple.  Sure along with Kovu, both of them stopped the battle between the two prides but, and although I wouldn't use the term self-centered, she didn't strike me as a favourable character.  She was quite immature, perhaps due to Simba's over protection of her.  But why was he over protective of her in the first place?  

Personally, I did like both Kovu and Nuka.  Both of them had complex personalities and hidden emotions/thoughts etc.  

Such a shame that it was focused on these two (Kiara and Kovu) and did not lead to any further characterisation or explanations.  I do tend to view Simba's Pride as having plot holes...

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I akways thught that at the cub born at the end of the first film, was a male cub... I think they changed that for SP.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I thought it was too.  I think that it was intended to actually be a male cub and during the period between the Lion King and Simba's Pride various books and comics were released involving Simba's reign and his son:Kopa.  I think if you were able to google 'Kopa' in a search then perhaps there would be some sort of evidence towards this.  However, Kopa disappeared with the release of Simba's Pride and Kiara.  

If we take this as we do regarding theories involving the Land Before Time verse, we could speculate that Kopa was the cub at the end of the The Lion King so thus the presentation is as we see, he is killed by Zira and her outlander friends in a bid to attempt to take over the throne in the name of Scar; this could explain why they were exiled, Kiara then becomes the cub at the beginning of Simba's Pride; as the presentation compared to the ending of The Lion King differs.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Although, I think that should be noted regarding Kopa is that the people who created these extra characters were not the same ones who did The Lion King and Simba's Pride....although I think, disney was behind these books regarding Kopa.  I'm not too sure.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So, Kiara was a second child of Simba and Nala, but they make no mebntion of having a first child.  Had Kopa not been killed (granted this is spec) Kiara would not have been born, and the events of Sp would not have happened. They only make reference to exiling Zira and the Outsiders. I'm not sure if they killed Kopa or not, frankly had they done so, exile would have been lenient, Simba could have ordered them to be executed. and frankly that was what I read into Kovu's exile in Sp. "Get out, you ever come back we kill you.." thats what I read. and they never explained what consequences Kiara would face for leaving the Pridelands.. she could have been disinherited of her place as future queen..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah so that's where the name Kopa comes from, thanks for clearing that up to me.
I've also read a comic from 1994 from the lion king, in which they indeed say "The new lion king has got a son!", so yea, that was definitely from disney.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, a branch from disney at least.
No problem though, there are some books around that include the characters of Kopa, Mohatu (Simba's Great Grandfather), Ahadi and Uru (Simba's Grand Parents) and Zuzu (Zazu's Mother).  I don't know where you can find these now but it could be worth a look.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That sounds nice. Will sure be looking out for those.

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I didn't appreciate much of The Lion King 3, but the only thing i liked in it was when Timon and Pumbaa were in the main events of the first film.  :anger