The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Athletes penaltized due to "strange" acts

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This is certainly an interesting read.

http://sport.id.msn.com/photogallery.aspx?...umentid=4666078

Yeah it's in Indonesian, so I'll do the honor of translating it here. ;)

Do they deserve to be punished?
These athletes were penaltized due to acts that "may" be strange.

It wouldn't be an exciting season if there weren't many soccer players who were penaltized due to being too enthusiastic taunting at the opposing players, or were sued and fined due to calling referees names on the radio or any other media after the match.

But, do you know that these athletes were apparently penaltized due to doing things in this list? They were penaltized because they were doing things that "may" be considered offensive / strange by updating their Twitter status during a match. Wanna know more about the things they did that got them penaltized? Just tune in to our list...

Robbie Fowler (page 1)

In 1997, Liverpool's eleventh striker, Robbie Fowler, was seen as someone good in the eyes of many soccer fans by asking the referee to cancel his (the referee's) decision to give himself a penalty kick.

Once again,  Robbie Fowler has also proved he himself is good for many supporters in politics. After Liverpool had won a match agains SK Brann from Norway, Fowler turned his shirt inside-out showing off a slogan which supports the Liverpool dock workers strike.

Due to this, Fowler was fined £900 for showing his political support. Until now, the UEFA representatives feel that the fine which was given to Robbie Fowler was strange and unfair.

Ryan Babel and Chad Ochocinco (page 2)

Last month in January 2011, Liverpool's former mid-fielder, Ryan Babel, received a fine from FA after having published referee Howard Webb's photo wearing a Manchester United uniform on Twitter after Liverpool had lost against Manchester United.

The same thing happened with star NFL player from Cincinnati Bengals, Chad Ochocinco, who was fined a total of US$25,000 due to sending a Tweet during a match. NFL has a rule that restricts the use of social networks during matches, and coincidentally what Ochocinco did can easily be tracked by a detective just by looking at the time at which he sent said tweet.

Accidentally, Chad Ococinco was again fined a total of US$20,000 during his review, "I was only being myself", was the only defensive statement that he could say.

Ferrari (page 3)

One of Formula One's teams, Ferrari, received a total fine of US$100,000 after asking one of their racers to lose on purpose in a race that he actually had won.

Felipe Massa was asked to slow down to allow his teammate, Fernando Alonso, overtake him. This created an incident which caused a huge public protest.

Reports that were given after the race was over explained that Massa was asked to let Alonso overtake him, and Massa refused to let Alonso do so. After the news has spread, it was told that Alonso and Massa's relationship shattered even more.

These are only the first three pages. I'd translate the rest, but right now I'm tired of typing. Plus, translating long articles isn't really easy. :p

Anyways, you guys get the idea. What are your thoughts on this?