The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lord of the Rings - A Fanfic Idea?

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No clue where to post this, so feel free to move if this is in the wrong place :)

I've been wanting to write a fanfic based on the Lord of the Rings movies based on the idea of "What would happen if Evil had won" but im probably going to need help, and alot of it..

I have never read any of the books but i have seen the Extended Edition of the movies to the point i've lost count, but should i read the books first? Roleplay as the characters who will appear in the fanfic? Wiki everything even though the Wiki might not be 100% correct? or read up on Fanfic Writing Guide thingies?

So, any tips and/or suggestions?  :rolleyes

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If evil had won, for starters, all of the fEllowship would have been killed and all of Middlearth would have fallen under Sauron's rule for thousands of years
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Likely all killed.  Maybe Frodo made a lesser shadow.  Tolkien did say Gandalf the white had about a 50/50 chance to defeat Sauron if they had fought, since he was not restricted in is power use, unlike Gandalf the grey was by Manwe's edict.  Since Gandalf the white was sent back to the world of man by Illuvator.  

If Gandalf the white lost there may be a huge area of destruction due to their power levels.  I know at the end of the first age the battle between the Valor and Morgoth was likely terrible.  So terrible was that final battle that it's said that is why the landmass of Beleriand sank beneath the waves.  

No idea if the Valar would give up or do a repeat of when they and the first branch of elves, the Vanyar, & the Maiar, went to middle earth to do battle.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
had Sauron recoverded the Ring, the valar themselves would have probably sstepped in directly..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe the fanfiction could take place between when Sauron finally won and before the Valar and their forces come.  It may take them some time to gather together, decide who would go, and decide on a battle plan.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They would  likely bring Gandalf back possib;y bring forth some new Istari
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Seems like writing this fanfic will be more complicated then i thought :p So even if Sauron had gotten the Ring he would still lose?

Unfortunately, there is another detail i forgot to add which will be a major part in this fanfic.. Indeed, Sauron has gotten the Ring, but what about Saruman? Would Sauron notice that Saruman is indeed more powerful then him and would try to overthrow Sauron? I guess the fanfic is kinda Mordor Vs. Isengard based with another twist..

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli would probably have died at Amon Han, but i dont want everyone in the Fellowship to be killed off (Gandalf the White)

Trying to change events.
Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were killed at Amon Han.
Gandalf returns and goes to Edoras, Theoden and the others still go to Helms Deep and Gandalf searches for Eomer and the other rohirram. While going to Helms Deep, they of course get attacked by the Warg Riders, but without Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, more rohirram have died.. Gandalf and the other rohirram arrive at Helms Deep, but were to late. Helms Deep has already fallen under Sarumans control and everyone was either killed or enslaved (Eowyn, Eothain, Freda and Morwen, the two Rohirram Children that fled their village while the mother stayed behind. Yeah i decided to give them a spotlight in the story..) Both Mordor and Isengard team up and destroy Minas Tirith, which is where the fanfic might begin.

But that still leaves some of the things that might take place between these events, those are just some of the ideas for the beginning of the fanfic. Kinda interesting talking about this stuff though :p

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, The Valar are more powerful than Sauron who is only a maiar, granted a very powerful one.. Although i believe Invatur barred the Balar from intervening directly
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it was Manwe who decided that.  and Saruman was maia like Sauron, though he had a restriction on how much power he could use, done by Manwe, unlike Gandalf the white who had no such limits since Illuvator didn't put any there, likely since Manwe's plan and failed.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
you may be right Kor... its kinda difficult to imagine doing a Sauron victory, because what we know is so famaliar..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
How about a different kind of evil victory rather than Sauron getting his hands on the ring. What if Sam or Frodo had slain Gollum on the slopes of Mount Doom so Frodo would have been taken over by the ring? What exactly are the powers of the ring apart from making you invisible and corrupting you? Could the ring have held any powers that he could have turned against anyone who tried to take it from him? Would Frodo have been able to turn any of the rings powers against Sauron himself?
I doubt it, but the thought of thousand years of Horror Hobbit Rule is kind of interesting.
(I guess this thread could be moved to the "written word" section in "the arts", but I guess I'll let it stay here for a bit longer so everyone can read where it will go).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think Frodo could have really claimed the ring and used it for to much.  He didn't have the strength of ability to really claim it.  Gimli I doubt it would have even turned invisible, the dwarven rings of power didn't do anything but make the ones who wore them more greedy, though that is since they were designed by Aule the smith to be able to resist such evil power.  

I thought Frodo did claim the ring before he fought with Gollum.  If he could have really claimed it he could have blasted Gollum or likely made Gollum jump into the lava himself.  I guess the most he could do is hand the ring over to Sauron.  It would take someone like Galadriel, Gandalf, Eldrond, or likely one of his kids since he does have some Maia blood in him from Melain I think her name is, forgot how far back it goes, his mother, grandmother, or great grandmother I think.  Not sure if an elf could have claimed or used it.  But they'd have fallen before Sauron or just handed over the ring to him if the Nazgul got to them and carried the person with the ring to Sauron.

Just my guess from what little I remember from reading the books.

The ring had a part of Sauron's being in it, like I think middle earth had a part of Melkor's being in it.

I would assume once Sauron sensed Frodo's location when he revealed himself and claimed the ring, which I think he did. I'm not sure, Sauron would have dispatched his nazgul to fetch the ring and bring it to him.  Not sure if he'd want them to bring Frodo or not.  I'd guess when Gollum fell into the magma the surviving nazgul were on their way to Mount Doom when the ring was unmade.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You are right about him claiming the ring and probably also with everything else you said (having never read the simarilion I am not as much into some of the background story as you are). There are two scenes, I think, in which Frodo himself suggests that he could use the ring to command Gollum and make him kill himself. Commanding Gollum or commanding Sauron are of course two very different matters.
Still I find the idea interesting what would happen with a corrupted Hobbit in power as we basically know what a rule of Sauron would come down to. What would be the difference with Frodo rather than Sauron becoming the lord of Barad D?r?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt any hobbit could really become the ring's master.  

If someone who has the strength and power to claim the ring would become corrupt, likely like something like I think Gandalf said.  The person would think they are doing good but becoming corrupt over time.    It could be something similar may have happened to the 9 kings of men who wore the rings of power Sauron gave to them.  

I think the most that would have happened to Frodo is to look at Gollum, who use to be Smeagol and that is a good idea of what Frodo would likely be like after time, unless he became a lesser shadow.  Though Gollum didn't fade, maybe do to is not waring the ring enough, or maybe hobbits have some resistance, but not immunity like dwarves have, to fading, since hobbits can turn invisible, but the dwarven rings didn't turn any dwarf invisible.

I remember a debate on a forum about the LOTR rpg where some were debating what a campaign in the 4th age could be like.  1 or 2 were wondering if the mouth of Sauron could be a dark lord during that time.  Perhaps some other easterling or black numenorian descendants who practiced dark magic I think Tolkein called sorcery.

Though no one is stopping you if you wish to try to go with one of your ideas to see where it leads to.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So Movie Galadrial was wrong when she said Sauron would have control of Middle-Earth even until the ending of the world, or whatever she said.

Oky Dokes, i shall probably gather up more ideas for this fanfic before writting it though. No rest for the imagination :p

Stuff's pretty interesting! :p

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was possible that Sauron would reign for a long time, obviously since a victory over the fellowship would keave Middle Earth completely under his rule..Frodo could not become a Dark Lord. he did not have the power to control the rings power, only someone like Galadriel, or Gandalf could, Gandalf refused to take the ring, galadriel was tested and tempted during the time in Lothlorien.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She may have not thought the Valar would leave Valinor with their army a second time like they did at what became the battle that ended the first age, made Belegeriad (however you spell that) sink due to the power tossed around by both sides.  It's not she didn't know about that, she was there when the battle happened, as was Elrond and his brother Elros, it was at the battle's end when Elrond and Elros were given the choice of being numbered among men or elves.  As their father Eroendil (not sure how to spell his name either) was given the choice when he went to Valinor to ask for the Valar's aid.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Galadriel cghose to go into the WEst, rather thaan take the ring.. It was the fear of someone like Aragorn taking the ring and challenging Sauon for mastery, and Gandalf used to hold Sauron's gaze long enough for Frodo and Sam to reach mT doom..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nick and Kor have explained most of what you need to know.  However, I personally recommend that you read not only the Lord of the Rings but also perhaps the Simlarion and the Hobbit.  To understand the basis, the lore and background etc before writing a fanfiction.  

If you decide to write the fanfiction I wish you well and good luck.:)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I always had the idea if I were to run anything middle earth I'd likely do it in the 2nd age likely.  

If you want why not go with your ideas.