The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is Rhett a villain?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Should Rehtt be considered the villain of "Brave Longneck Scheme"?  

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
In that case, possibly antagonist would fit better. An antagonist is the "opposing force" or "opposing character" of a story. They don't have to be villains and they can even be quite nice. The qualifications of an antagonist is simply being an obstacle, or even the main obstacle, for the protagonist.

For example, in Brother Bear, Denahi can be considered the antagonist as he is actively trying to hunt down Kenai due to a misunderstanding. But Denahi isn't evil, and his motivations are sympathetic.

With Rhett, he does not come across as evil, more just a jerk. He acts like a show-offy kid who just wants to impress Ali. He doesn't really have any malicious goals in mind; he's just selfish and stubborn. Hardly a villain, but still antagonistic.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Definitely not. Like the gang, Rhett is just a kid who has his own lessons to learn. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep, antagonist is a better term here. A villain does have evil things in mind while an antagonist is indeed an "obstacle" (that puts it very well, DH :))
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Barely scratches antagonist. He's a troubled child who doesn't know any better. How is he evil?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Its hard for me to tell. If Rhett was a villian, he would be someone more evil in the series, like if he hated Littlefoot and his friends for finding out that his stories were fake. On my thought, he must've made up his stories because he didn't have a interesting life when he was younger. Dont'ca think?

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Feb 14 2015 on  02:17 PM
Should Rehtt be considered the villain of "Brave Longneck Scheme"?
I'm going to echo everyone else and say that he's more of an antagonist than a villain. He didn't have any evil intentions or anything that would make him a villain. He was just a d*****bag, so that would make him an antagonist.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If Rhett got dumped by Ali from there on and decided to become Littlefoot's love interest... and Rhett takes that badly, swears to take revenge one day and many years later assaults Littlefoot in a fight for life or death, then you could call him a villain

(and now that I think about it, that could be a decent fanfic idea  :idea  :lol )
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
it's so cliche. XD

Wait, so lol, now I remember in one if my mid stories, when Sharptooth went back, Rhett "accidentally" kicked Littlefoot out from safe cover.
 :rolleyes:
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I never thought of him as a villain when I first saw the episode he appeared in. Just someone who needed to know his place.

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
Well for one if they ever do anything based on the cast when they're older, I can imagine Rhett pulling a Ronno on Littlefoot and Ali, but as it currently stands with him being a kid, he's just innocent until proven guilty. Right now he's harmless and a bit of a jerk who doesn't know any better because he's a kid. Though to be fair his herd was more villainous with how they tried to flat out murder Chomper despite him when Rhett tattled on him, considering Chomper is just a child who could barely harm anybody despite being an infantile Tyrannosaurus rex, whom as we know is one of the more dangerous large theropods we know exist and thus killing one while they're young does make some sense, but not in the narrative of The Land Before Time in the case of Chomper in particular. Doc himself mentions the fact himself in his cameo episode, but even then he's relatively chill by the end of it on the matter.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I never perceived Rhett as a villain, he is self-centered, makes up stories to look brave and formidable, but nothing more than that, he did not try to hurt anybody, and after all, he was still a kid. I think, that after he was put in his place, he would learn a little from his mistakes, and at the end of the day, he is not far from normal.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I fully agree with Comp's assessment. He does fulfill an antagonistic role in that particular episode, but he doesn't strike me as a full-on villain, per say. Especially since the ending of the episode suggests he's reformed. If he were to ever appear again, he'd probably have mellowed out somewhat. Probably similar to Shorty, who was a bully to Littlefoot at first, but he became nicer upon his reappearance.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rhett is more of braggart and he later learns the error of his ways. I don’t see him as a villian proper, but rather “Pride Comes Before The Fall.”   

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Think I can agree with the majority of posts here.

Rhett is just your typical "all talk; no action" loudmouth kid that fancies himself bigger than he really is. A development of the super ego I guess (if I've got my philosophical terms right; probably not). Suppose we've all had those moments where think of ourselves as the best for a given situation and add a little bit of self-confident swagger to our actions; I know I have. But, as expected, the huff and bluster is quickly dissolved as many facades are in situations like this.

I do like that he is redeemable though and not just some power hungry numpty that doesn't learn. I liked this episode and it was interesting to see Littlefoot in a bit of a pout for a change rather than his always happy-go-lucky expression and being the attempted voice of reason.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
No Rhett is a protagonist. He changes ober the course of the episode.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith